What happens if your dog dies abroad whilst on holiday? (1 Viewer)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
OK, if we have a canine bereavement whilst in Europe in the motorhome.
What is the best way of dealing with it?

Can you bring a dead dog back through passport control successfully or do you have to get it cremated abroad first?

Has anyone experienced this?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have to ask the question....Why would you want to bring a dead dog back anyway, unless you were going to have it stuffed of course.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
if you have EU insurance on your pet cover i think there is a means of repatriation

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We thought about this , taking Ruby up to the Outer Hebrides. We would have just buried her up there somewhere, in the sticks.......
I reckon we'd have done the same if we were abroad too.
Then again burying a border terrier is easier than a Great Dane or a Weimaraner such as yours.

But some people are different. Wouldn't dream of doing that.
If the dog was small enough you could wrap it and stick it it the freezer and bring it back and do what ever you wanted to do. But not a big dog again.

I suppose if you really wanted you could take the body to the vets and they'd cremate it for you .
You'd just gave to wait in that area a while whilst it was done. Then you'd have little tommy in a nice little box and you could take him along with you on the rest of your travels.

Who'd have thought you could ever repatriate a dog ?

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
eat the bloody thing no different to a kebab just add the salad :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We are taking our 17 year old JR to Portugal and Spain in September and this problem has occurred to us as well. I guess it is going to be either a "natural" burial although we don't currently carry a spade or more likely find a local vet.

What I don't know is if "the system" knows you have exported a dog, so to speak, and thus knows if you don't bring it back? It probably does but does it care?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
We are taking our 17 year old JR to Portugal and Spain in September and this problem has occurred to us as well. I guess it is going to be either a "natural" burial although we don't currently carry a spade or more likely find a local vet.

What I don't know is if "the system" knows you have exported a dog, so to speak, and thus knows if you don't bring it back? It probably does but does it care?
the system doesnt care .
at one time you actually exported the dog and needed papers to get them out of uk.
we had to leave a dog in brittany one year . the local vet at st pol de leon took her and had her what ever they do over there.she had died , not just abandoned .
that was before the pets passport scheme started .
the next one was put to sleep just before i went away last year. she was almost 15 yr old . i think i would have taken her to one of the nice country places we visit . found a nice pleasant place and buried her where ever it was she died . as it was she became too ill so was dealt with by the vets here in uk.
i think its best having the problem sorted in your mind before you take the dog . or pet. there,s usually a quiet place somewhere .

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Apparently, dog taste much like chicken.......Mmmm!!!!!!

Not really, John.
It's a bit strong...I believe the term is "gamey".
Needs marinating for quite while to tenderise it.

Why would anyone want to carry a dead dog at all, let alone put it in a food freezer?
It's dead, get rid.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Take a spade with you find a nice spot dig a hole burry it job done.
Only environmental concerns would be burry it in something degradable.
I was once building a garage and dug up a dog that had been in the ground for over six years in two black bin liners.
It had decomposed but it was just a stinking mess as the ground had not absorb the corps and the worms could not do there job.
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
g
Not really, John.
It's a bit strong...I believe the term is "gamey".
Needs marinating for quite while to tenderise it.

Why would anyone want to carry a dead dog at all, let alone put it in a food freezer?
It's dead, get rid.
gamey is how I would describe the dog I have eaten both in Russia and china bur delicious if cooked properly
bill

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
unfortunately we cant help in the emotions department .
it can be heart breaking when ever they pass away.
all we can hope is they have had a happy life.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We dug up a very slimy stinking mess that was in a big white sheet ( I'm guessing white) and put in black bin bag. It was in the flower bed when we moved here. Turns out it wasn't human, which was my first thought. :Eeek:

It was a very large dalmation dog. The next door neighbours told us.
There was another one in the other flower bed too.
I guess people just don't think about this when they burry big pets in the garden . Don't use bin bags. Let them rot naturally. Or use a casket.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Or even a Viking burial!

Set fire to the motorhome with the dog in it and push it down the mountain!

Either that and do it properly by nicking a boat at Lake Annecy on the way back!
Another option john don't take the dog let it dye at a relatives.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Once upon a time we had this conversation but it was about another motorhomer !!!!, We had been drinking at the time but we thought up some great ideas.. Yes, Graham.. Mr. "polarbear" I mean you.. lol.

Going back to the dog, yep bury it or I am sure local vets can arrange proper disposal... I am a dog lover but when it's time then thats it as far as I am conserned...

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Once upon a time we had this conversation but it was about another motorhomer !!!!, We had been drinking at the time but we thought up some great ideas.. Yes, Graham.. Mr. "polarbear" I mean you.. lol.

Going back to the dog, yep bury it or I am sure local vets can arrange proper disposal... I am a dog lover but when it's time then thats it as far as I am conserned...
I to am a dog lover but to get to sentimental can slow the heeling proses after it's gone.
I like my dog but could not rely say I love it it's has a use to alert us to possible intruders and is company for the wee man.
In return we clean up his poo and feed him take it for walks
I call him dog her in doors tells me constantly abut it but at the end of the day who has to do the dirty dead when it's time comes.
would never do it any harm or case any suffering .
and if it was terminally ill I would no hesitate in having him humanly dispatched..
bill

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I'm not even sure I would want to be repatriated. I have no problem with being cremated anywhere in Europe:cheers:

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back