LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Do you know I think this is turning into a sanctimonious thread, with a lot of high fluting ideas sounds more like Facts to me.

I do sympathise with with no shows having marshalled a few times myself , but threads that carry on like this just go around in circles.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think if we wait to see how the new events system pans it all this talk may not be necessary. Fingers crossed (y)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I'm now wondering whether I put our names down for the Bring & Buy - or indeed something else, cos I have this terrible sinking feeling. So, on which pages of the million or so there, can the lists of attendees be found?

This is where the thing Gromett mentions would come in jolly handy - I could just go to the Events calendar and whizz through all of em, and see if I have, and see if we have failed to turn up. And then grovel to the organisers, but I'm pretty sure I didn't say we'd go to the Dorset one at least ....... I think ......

And if we have failed to turn up anywhere I have no actual excuse that could possibly be an acceptable one under the circumstances - other than the general fact I really have got a head like a sieve these days, despite owning a diary that I do TRY to remember to always write stuff down in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We marshal at a number of events for RVOC - At the beginning of a show rally we get a list of people who have paid ,reg. numbers etc. It never ceases to amaze me the number of no shows we have who have paid the full amount to the organisers yet do not appear. From the marshals point of view as has already been said we are sat around waiting and wondering if they will turn up. We seldom get any notification. On rallies that are organised by members for the benefit of the members then I favour a deposit system. Financial loss is the best thing to make people think positively of their plans. If there are pitches, fees etc to be paid for then full payment should be in advance. I have been on a rally where there was a 22% no show - it left the organisers financially embarrassed. Needless to say that rally has never been run again so it was a loss to all people. Worth also mentioning that on some rallies there are limited number of places. No shows at the last minute give no chance to others to take their place.

Takes only a few seconds to send an email or make a phone call or text to let people know you are not coming.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Do you know I think this is turning into a sanctimonious thread, with a lot of high fluting ideas sounds more like Facts to me.

I'm so glad you said what I was thinking Carol. I thought I was alone.

It's really really simple.
If you want to run a rally do so. End of.

If you want to charge up front to give better chance of ensuring attendance do so end of.

If you don't like it ? don't go...simples in it..

If you can't face the hassel of non shows don't do a rally. As scotJim says there will always be non shows always has always will.

Much better to just turn up and enjoy it.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
One of the things that surprised me when I joined the forum was just how far ahead some folk plan.
Yes meets/rallies/trips have to be organised - and thanks t those that do but I have learned not to take anything for granted and don't plan specific events more than a few weeks or days ahead - that was the reason I bought the MH in the first place.
Could organisers have an 'interested' list at the start - to get an idea of numbers, but only ask for 'definites' say a month or 2 before the event?

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
:mad:We were on the list had to cancel due to commitments ,you do get reminded as I was still email alerts about post on this subject

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Spot on post.(y) It happens, but not that often. If it REALLY upsets you then you are taking it too seriously. Yes it's rude, but I won't let it ruin my day, in fact nothing can ruin my day on a rally, well I'm sure there is, but you know what I mean;)

A couple of email reminders is all that is needed to keep no shows to a minimum, we'll try and make it as simple as possible for rally organisers to do that (y). Simples :D

I'm so glad you said what I was thinking Carol. I thought I was alone.

It's really really simple.
If you want to run a rally do so. End of.

If you want to charge up front to give better chance of ensuring attendance do so end of.

If you don't like it ? don't go...simples in it..

If you can't face the hassel of non shows don't do a rally. As scotJim says there will always be non shows always has always will.

Much better to just turn up and enjoy it.

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
IMHO I think it is time that this particular thread has run its course, what turned out to be a simple question re no shows has got a bit off course.
When shows are organised i.e. Peterborough then Warners etc have the hassle of taking payments.
Try to pick venues where marshalls don't have to pay up front for pitches, who needs sites with toilets & showers for a few days what you got facilities in your vans for, you wont get any extra when you sell just because you haven't use the bog or shower.
It didn't faze us out when we had no shows, the ones who did come im sure had a great time I know we did.
Don't go try to book meals for people whats wrong with communal BBQs.

Last comment from me - Our Rallies (If we do any more lol) will NOT be taking deposits so its up to FUNSTERS whether they come or not, we don't bite up north tha knows.

Sheila alias RUNRIG xx

Last edited:

marymary

Free Member
Mar 15, 2010
mid wales/shrops border
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
Returning newbie..
I have responded to Runrigs pm and apologised, I completely forgot. I went on my first meet to Chester in december, obviously said I wanted to go, added my name and didn't put it down anywhere. Then booked something else. I wouldn't have done so intentionally
I have recently closed down a forum myself and friends ran, an owners group where we had plenty of get togethers and people not turning up happened for alsorts of reasons. I know what its like to feel let down and annoyed but I also have a life.....and a bad memory!!
Maybe I should be a bit more sanctimonious like some but there again..........

marymary

Free Member
Mar 15, 2010
mid wales/shrops border
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
Returning newbie..
and yes to whoever said about those who forgot and calendars, you know what, I have one and if I'd have put it on I wouldn't have forgot and I wouldn't have booked something else......its a bit like saying where did you lose such and such.....if you knew it would hardly be lost would it?!
Over the years I have been to tons of meets and can honestly say yes I have not gone to some but never without notifying the organiser.....anyway, rant over, sorry....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back