What goes on at Meets and Rallies! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
True story..
A few years ago someone claimed that they did not have a good time at a rally and thought they were ignored. I was devastated, so were the rally marshals. They had received a note from the marshalls letting them know what was happening, but somehow chose not to attend anything.

When questioned......Did you not attend the evening in the Marquee? “no we were tired and my wife had a migraine” How about the coffee morning did you attend that? “No we are not coffee drinkers and wanted to visit the town at that time” How about the bacon rolls, did you not chat to people over a bacon roll breakfast? “No we’re vegetarians so we didn’t want to come over”

So essentially this couple stayed in their van and made no effort to join in, but then thought they were being ignored.

NO ONE CAN ACCUSE @Dawn B OR @Tootles OF BEING SHY AND STAYING IN THEIR VAN, SO MUCH THE PITY :rofl::rofl::rofl:

:reel:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I'll keep my white chocolate fudge to myself then, at Peterborough @Larby
But visitors have to pass through security to get into your compound, then Mike softens them up with the home brew and I'm tempted by fudge and then I agree to anything!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Just read through the post. Attended our first Fun rally at southport, had a lovely time, not sure when we will be at the next one, seems we have already planned for most of the summer, grandchildren, folk festivals, me chilling, however we will be in Spain when the Cambrils rally is on, will have a look at the thread, then if spaces available, will threaten J with no motogp if we dont go. ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Just read through the post. Attended our first Fun rally at southport, had a lovely time, not sure when we will be at the next one, seems we have already planned for most of the summer, grandchildren, folk festivals, me chilling, however we will be in Spain when the Cambrils rally is on, will have a look at the thread, then if spaces available, will threaten J with no motogp if we dont go. ;)

Was lovely to see you again Sue ... and the other members of the ladies social event ..

Great thing about meets is you can do what you want if you want to re organised activity OR stay in van OR go home OR do your own thing.

I am going to limit meets now they so large but the knowledge learned will still remain from the Funsters who know all there is to know about mhs. Invaluable. :)

Sep 28, 2015
Nr Wick at the top of the Highlands of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Euramobil coachbuilt
Exp
since 2008
We attended our first rally at Falkirk and although terrified and nearly backed out at the last minute can only say go for it, we had an amazing time and were made more than welcome with our new furbaby Charlie! our next rally is at lincoln show and then down to cambrils, so looking forward to meeting up with people and wont be as shy at these next ones, for any newbies contemplating rallys and meets you do only get out what you put in, dont be shy join in and you will love it!

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
As relative newbies to rallies...Malvern was only our second after Peterborough we did find there were a lot of established closed off groups of friends who understandably as they knew each other well had a lot to catch up on and were not really aware of anyone else.
It is down to newbies to make their own friends yes, but what we feel could help is if there was a gathering in the marquee for Newbies to meet. Maybe an hour or so before the official entertainment. Just an idea. Ot maybe a different coloured badge for members in their first year so existing members can make a special effort to welcome them.
We said hello to everyone we saw. Most were friendly but there were also a few that didnt want to know. But you get those people wherever. All in all we had a great weekend as did Nelson. Thanks to all the friendly funsters and their dogs that we met.
Also a special thank you to the marshals for all their hard work!

John and Catherine

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
As relative newbies to rallies...Malvern was only our second after Peterborough we did find there were a lot of established closed off groups of friends who understandably as they knew each other well had a lot to catch up on and were not really aware of anyone else.
It is down to newbies to make their own friends yes, but what we feel could help is if there was a gathering in the marquee for Newbies to meet. Maybe an hour or so before the official entertainment. Just an idea. Ot maybe a different coloured badge for members in their first year so existing members can make a special effort to welcome them.
We said hello to everyone we saw. Most were friendly but there were also a few that didnt want to know. But you get those people wherever. All in all we had a great weekend as did Nelson. Thanks to all the friendly funsters and their dogs that we met.
Also a special thank you to the marshals for all their hard work!

John and Catherine
Good points and some good ideas. After all one person's close circle of friends is another's clique.

We found the best way to meet people is to go to smaller meets. The shows are have got too big and impersonal. We met more people (and remembered their names better) at the 2nd meet we went on, which was Ramon's railway meet of 15 vans, than we did at either the Peterborough or Lincoln shows, which were our first and third meets. And we have met loads more people (although some want to forget us) at the smaller none-show meets like Falkirk, Hartlepool, Misterton and York we have been to this year.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi,@Stagman your right first big rally's are strange for new ralliers , I always try and speak to as many new members as I can but as you say a really good idea to have some way to get to chat for a while to new members, as Peter says the smaller meets are a great way to get to know other funsters, :)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
That`s why on all the rally`s I have had...

The first day after the rally start`s..

Throw a Cheese and Wine get together... don`t cost a lot and most bring a drink or two and some nibbles..

Good ice breaker and ideal for new member`s to get to know every one... sit around and chat about what`s what and what is happening.. (y)

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Our experience was that around the campsite people did say hello generally apart from a few exceptions. It was more during the evening that newbies could feel very left out.
Just an observation. Certainly not a complaint.
We have looked at some of the smaller gatherings but havent been able to make some of them and others have booked up so fast before we even see them. We hope to make Pembrey if it happens next September as want to do a trip over the border. We are limited at some of the smaller rallys as our rescue dog doesnt cope with being left in the motorhome for long- so when the entertainment is in buildings where dogs are not allowed we are ruled out. Thats why we love the fact you can take them in the marquee at the big shows.
We were blessed with wonderful neighbours behind us at Malvern and thats what made the rally for us.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Our experience was that around the campsite people did say hello generally apart from a few exceptions. It was more during the evening that newbies could feel very left out.
Just an observation. Certainly not a complaint.
We have looked at some of the smaller gatherings but havent been able to make some of them and others have booked up so fast before we even see them. We hope to make Pembrey if it happens next September as want to do a trip over the border. We are limited at some of the smaller rallys as our rescue dog doesnt cope with being left in the motorhome for long- so when the entertainment is in buildings where dogs are not allowed we are ruled out. Thats why we love the fact you can take them in the marquee at the big shows.
We were blessed with wonderful neighbours behind us at Malvern and thats what made the rally for us.
There are some places at Ramon's railway meet in Kent available for 9 to 11 September. Not far from North Essex. I think that dogs are OK.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
There are some places at Ramon's railway meet in Kent available for 9 to 11 September. Not far from North Essex. I think that dogs are OK.
Thanks for that. We have signed up for proposed whisky meet that weekend (our first small rally) if it happens.
Just looked for the train meet and it states it is full. 15 vans and fifteen names....

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
John @Stagman always put yourselves down on the list for a rally if you want to go. I recently went to a 30 van rally, it was fully booked I was 7th on the reserve list, about 3 days before the rally my name appeared on main list. I had a great time. Just because it's full you may still get a place. You're both welcome in my pop up awning any time.

Veronica

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
If anyone is feeling left out at Lincoln just come and see me.

I'll introduce you to @DuxDeluxe and his bottle of Laphroaig that he just loves to share :LOL::LOL:
That bottle of Laphroaig was the one that Shifty gave me. Smelt like goats urine so I binned it. I always have plenty of Aldi's finest Glenratspiss on offer for honoured guests. For newbies of course, there is plenty of decent stuff :whistle:

P.S. Dunno how Shifty obtained that brew

P.P.S. Just look for the van with a flying duck kite and/or flying Osprey kite and a mad but friendly spaniel (with us specifically to keep @GJH at bay) and a brew of anything is always on offer

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Also, any shy, nervous singles out there.....go for it! The best thing I've ever done is join this group. Love it!

Aww Wendy ... shrinking violet ....

HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHSHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ;) Am I allowed to put the photogrdphic evidence on?

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
I"movan, pcanost: 1980935, member: 9543"]Aww Wendy ... shrinking violet ....

HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHSHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ;) Am I allowed to put the photogrdphic evidence on?[/QUOTE]

Only if I can put pics of you on too!

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
John @Stagman always put yourselves down on the list for a rally if you want to go. I recently went to a 30 van rally, it was fully booked I was 7th on the reserve list, about 3 days before the rally my name appeared on main list. I had a great time. Just because it's full you may still get a place. You're both welcome in my pop up awning any time.

Veronica
Thanks Veronica. You were certainly most welcoming at Malvern.
Stagman's Girl x

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
@Stagman it can seem daunting at the meets and rallies and you are right that people do often group together but they are just friends catching up and always friendly if you want to join in. I loved the new layout of lines in the marque at Malvern as it stopped the circles so made it much easier to mingle.

We've not been to that many rallies and meets maybe 4/5 over the last 18 months or so but each one we get to speak to more and more people and when we walk into the marque or around the camp area now we often bump into people we recognise which is nice.

mark and sharon

Free Member
Apr 10, 2015
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
Sun seeker
Exp
a newbie
Hi Jim

Love the intro to what happens at a Rally. Really makes me want to go to one. we are a shy couple, but would love to meet people in the forum. We are very new to motorhome got our first van a month ago and it's still sitting on the drive! Retire in a week so will be using it. Stratford on Avon and Rutland water (cycling). Do rally's go on during the winter or is it just spring summer?

Regards Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back