What gearbox for a Smart on A Frame (1 Viewer)

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Foud out a little more on this Auto box. It is a Gertrag box and seems to have three gear trains and two wet clutches. It also claims to be able to select lower gears in a non sequential way. It should have first and reverse available when neutral is selected and that will need manual selection. It would also seem to have some sort of free wheel device built in when you lift off the throttle, to aid the mpg figures. So until more technical information emerges anything is possible.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Foud out a little more on this Auto box. It is a Gertrag box and seems to have three gear trains and two wet clutches. It also claims to be able to select lower gears in a non sequential way. It should have first and reverse available when neutral is selected and that will need manual selection. It would also seem to have some sort of free wheel device built in when you lift off the throttle, to aid the mpg figures. So until more technical information emerges anything is possible.
Do you mean latest model? This far superior suspension/ride quality and auto box. Which were the downsides on earlier models

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Not too complex Tony..
There are some easy ones that partially work such as delipping the air intake which fools the air speed sensors and smooths out changes, and you can change things quite a bit with a different program
You can also stop some of the surging by changing the length of the actuating arm from the clutch solenoid but that is a bit of a pain as you really need to pull the box off to do the work

Do you know which tic pipe you have ?
Everything is OEM - I haven't done anything other than remove the clutch actuator, re-lube its internals, and adjust to the standard marks. 'tic' I assume is turbo intake?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Everything is OEM - I haven't done anything other than remove the clutch actuator, re-lube its internals, and adjust to the standard marks. 'tic' I assume is turbo intake?
Yes Tony...
Have a look at fitting one from the Brabus model.
It is smoother on the inside so again reduces surging
It is a strange thing but the way Smarties work most gear change issues are related to air intake (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm not into all this 'technical' stuff with regard to changing this and that on Smart ForTwo's to 'improve' the gear changes, which I don't find bad at all in auto mode anyway ... I find that if I just lift my foot very slightly off the accelerator at the time I know it will be wanting to change it does so lovely and smoothly, but even if I don't it's very good anyway.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm not into all this 'technical' stuff with regard to changing this and that on Smart ForTwo's to 'improve' the gear changes, which I don't find bad at all in auto mode anyway ... I find that if I just lift my foot very slightly off the accelerator at the time I know it will be wanting to change it does so lovely and smoothly, but even if I don't it's very good anyway.
You're right they aren't bad driven as intended. I never use ours in Auto mode though and it is worth knowing that one way a Smart smooths gearchanges is by easing the clutch - too much IMO when accelerating hard. I'm always conscious of the effect on clutch life of too much deliberate slip. One thing that works brilliantly is the ECO stop/start mode. It's very smooth and unobtrusive and as a bonus has an in-line starter motor. Very sophisticated :).

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Yes Tony...
Have a look at fitting one from the Brabus model.
It is smoother on the inside so again reduces surging
It is a strange thing but the way Smarties work most gear change issues are related to air intake (y)
I'll do that. Intake air flow isn't the first thing that springs to mind when investigating gearchange quality:).

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
If you buy a new one i think the choice should be a manual for A framing

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If anyone has a 451 model it's worth ringing a dealer and checking if the ancillary belt change has been done - this is the ONE thing for which there is a known 'fault' so they are changing the belts for a different one FOC, you just need to book it in with them, they can check on their systems so worth asking.

The reason for the problem is that the MHD system puts a lot of strain on the belt and the retaining bolt due to the continual stopping/starting of the car, this can cause the bolt to move/wear a bit and allow the belt to become misaligned which then causes it to shred ... I know 'cause it did this on the first white one we had when, after driving it home all the way from Wales, it went kaput 7 miles from home! If the belt ever DOES go, and you'll certainly hear the noise when it does, stop immediately and do NOT be tempted to try to continue as you won't have any oil circulating round the engine so it will boil! Once the fix is done though there's nothing to worry about - I hasten to add this doesn't happen with all of them but Smart have decided to change the belts FOC regardless and the car doesn't have to be under warranty at the time either.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back