What gearbox for a Smart on A Frame (1 Viewer)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
The title says it all. I have read conflicting reports on here, can you, and more importantly do you have you, towed a Smart with an auto box on an A frame without problems??
Thanks.

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
I think it depends on which auto box is fitted. The new cars have a six speed double clutch box which is never really in neutral. The older robotised box had a manual box that which permitted neutral to be selected. What difference does this make you ask? On the new ones it means that the gearbox cogs will be rotating at a speed that will cause the oil to boil when you are towing it at 60 mph.

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
I cannot comment on that particular setup, but did do a lot of towing with auto boxes only major problem I had was in snow as without engine braking control could get hairy, also if you plan to do a lot of hill work ensure that the gearbox has a oil temp warning light and that the kick down works properly.
If you use your gears instead of making the engine labour then you should not have any problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
If you buy new/ nearly new get the manual. Far better car anyway as gearbox (both manual and auto) + ride much improved. Front suspension now from a Mercedes C compact.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I think it depends on which auto box is fitted. The new cars have a six speed double clutch box which is never really in neutral. The older robotised box had a manual box that which permitted neutral to be selected. What difference does this make you ask? On the new ones it means that the gearbox cogs will be rotating at a speed that will cause the oil to boil when you are towing it at 60 mph.
Thanks, can you advise the year that the auto box becomes a no no?

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
miss read again, must pay attention , thought it said towing with an auto box DOH!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The new version of the Smart ForTwo has the different gearbox, the model of Smart you ideally want is a 451 (2006 to 2014 I believe) as this is the (newest model) one that people tow. These Smarts are either made with either semi-auto or a semi-auto/full-auto box (ie you can choose which you want to use it as).

I haven't driven the 'new' Smart ForTwo so the ride etc quality 'may' be better than the 451s which I have - they are IMV good anyway.

You MUST make sure that they are definitely in neutral though when to tow otherwise you'll have a very expensive repair!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Can get a new shape 2015 for approx 9k. I'm buying a 2014 old shape high spec this week for 6300'ish

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks Judge, trouble is new they are eye watering for what you get? I have seen a 2013, and a 2014 high spec, but Autos??
They will be the 451 as I mentioned above, so no problem at all with these, they were ONLY made with some 'form' of auto anyway so you won't get a manual one. Many people tow them behind their motorhomes - I haven't but I've never needed to.

The 451 Smart comes in 3 basic models - Pure (base), Pulse (mid), and Passion (top) although there are some variants such as Brabus (souped up!), Grandstyle (based on a Passion) etc. They usually have a 1L petrol engine (forget the diesel one ... it's cr@p!) and have 61bhp (Pure) or 71bhp (Pulse/Passion) or 84bhp (Pulse/Passion). The 61bhp and 71bhp usually have the MHD (stop/start system) but it's nothing special, we always turn it off on ours!

If you want to let me know which you've seen for sale I can try to help you with what they are/have got so you can compare them easier.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Can get a new shape 2015 for approx 9k. I'm buying a 2014 old shape high spec this week for 6300'ish

Can`t help thinking you could hire a lot of cars for this sort of cash and save all the hassle of towing!!

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
They will be the 451 as I mentioned above, so no problem at all with these, they were ONLY made with some 'form' of auto anyway so you won't get a manual one. Many people tow them behind their motorhomes - I haven't but I've never needed to.

The 451 Smart comes in 3 basic models - Pure (base), Pulse (mid), and Passion (top) although there are some variants such as Brabus (souped up!), Grandstyle (based on a Passion) etc. They usually have a 1L petrol engine (forget the diesel one ... it's cr@p!) and have 61bhp (Pure) or 71bhp (Pulse/Passion) or 84bhp (Pulse/Passion). The 61bhp and 71bhp usually have the MHD (stop/start system) but it's nothing special, we always turn it off on ours!

If you want to let me know which you've seen for sale I can try to help you with what they are/have got so you can compare them easier.
Thanks Minxy, thats a great offer. I have a mint 2008 with only 7k miles Copen that we will trade, I'd love to A Frame it but its too complicated.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Can`t help thinking you could hire a lot of cars for this sort of cash and save all the hassle of towing!!
I've sold van :( i need a small easy to park car to get me to dialysis 3 days a week...if I eventually get a transplant I will buy a van and trailer :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If you've already got the car you might want to consider just getting an a-frame fitted as it will be either a semi-auto or auto already (unless of course it's a semi and you WANT a full-auto one).

I've PMd you.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Errrrrrr...
None of them are automatic !!

What they are is a manual gearbox that is very cleverly electronically controlled.

I have had every model apart from the crossblade, have spent hours and a silly amount of money tuning them, building the lumps and doing weird things with the clutch to make them change quicker etc, so do know them quite well

I would avoid pre 2004 models as they are rhe 600cc ones and not quite as good as the 700cc and later jobbies

Any of them can be towed providing they are in neutral

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Errrrrrr...

What they are is a manual gearbox that is very cleverly electronically controlled.

I have had every model apart from the crossblade, have spent hours and a silly amount of money tuning them, building the lumps and doing weird things with the clutch to make them change quicker etc, so do know them quite well

I would avoid pre 2004 models as they are rhe 600cc ones and not quite as good as the 700cc and later jobbies

Any of them can be towed providing they are in neutral
From 2015 new twin clutch auto a full auto!. And a £250 road tax bill according to Minx. Manual and early semi auto 0 tax

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Errrrrrr...

... Any of them can be towed providing they are in neutral
The 451 and earlier models ARE automatic (semi/full) in the sense that they do not need you to change gear using a clutch ... you are talking about what METHOD is employed by the manufacturer to facilitate this - in the 'purest' sense they are not like a conventional auto but that doesn't mean they are not autos.

I can't speak for the new models as I haven't delved too deeply into their ins/outs as I don't like the look of them.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Dunno about 2015 models.. Certainly 2012-13 ones are as I say..
Not had any that were zero road tax.. All mine have been either £20 or £30 jobbies.. But then I do tend to go for the more powerful versions of each

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
If you've already got the car you might want to consider just getting an a-frame fitted as it will be either a semi-auto or auto already (unless of course it's a semi and you WANT a full-auto one).

I've PMd you.
No I have Daihatsu Copen, not a Smart at the moment, I shall trade the Copen.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
From 2015 new twin clutch auto a full auto!. And a £250 road tax bill according to Minx. Manual and early semi auto 0 tax
Eddie ... up to approx £250 for other MAKES of auto, not Smart!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The 451 and earlier models ARE automatic (semi/full) in the sense that they do not need you to change gear using a clutch ... you are talking about what METHOD is employed by the manufacturer to facilitate this - in the 'purest' sense they are not like a conventional auto but that doesn't mean they are not autos.

I can't speak for the new models as I haven't delved too deeply into their ins/outs as I don't like the look of them.
My present 451 has got the 6 speed manual in it .. It is a 2010
I am swapping it for another one when I get home for a slightly lower mileage one for Woman.
I have been told it has the 5 speed which means it will indeed be automatic,.yet it is the same year and same model
So I guess I was rash saying NONE are auto...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
No I have Daihatsu Copen, not a Smart at the moment, I shall trade the Copen.
Oh I see, I thought you'd just done a typo when you said "I have a mint 2008 with only 7k miles Copen that we will trade", I thought you meant "hoping that we will trade"!

I've never heard of a Diahatsu Copen! :D Have you considered just getting a trailer for the Copen instead?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Eddie ... up to approx £250 for other MAKES of auto, not Smart!

Hmm.....I bow to your considerable knowledge on all things Smart:)

so smart full auto tax free then?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hmm.....I bow to your considerable knowledge on all things Smart:)

so smart full auto tax free then?
It depends! From what I can tell if you go for the 451 models (upto 2015) it differs depending on the age of the car and the bhp, but it appears to be a maximum of £30 a year so won't break the bank.

The new ones (2015 onwards) have either a .9L or 1L engine but it appears that both fall into category 'A' for road tax so £0 but please do check this for yourself as I'm not well versed in the new versions!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I am swapping it for another one when I get home for a slightly lower mileage one for Woman.
I have been told it has the 5 speed which means it will indeed be automatic,.yet it is the same year and same model
I've got a nice black 2010 cabrio with semi/full-auto option for sale ....

Broken Link Removed

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Errrrrrr...

Excellent! Any tips you'd like to share? I'd like to harden the changes & stop flare on 1/2 and 2/3 changes. And anything else that improves the feel of the car (which nominally belongs to my wife). I have a 451 and you can offer complex solutions.:)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Mine is 5 speed robotic?

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
I have recently ordered one of the new 453 Auto forfour cars with the six speed dual clutch Auto. As I understand it when the car is in first gear neutral and second are also engaged in mesh but the second clutch keeps the power from them. When the sensors select second both clutches change roles from engaged to disengaged. So it also has first and third available on the other drive train to be used when the sensors switch to it.
It is a little like having two gearboxes one containing a false neutral, as it is called and 2nd. The other with 1st and 3rd and so on up or down the box it gets the options ready. It just means that the next gear up or down is always at the ready. The down side, if there is one, is as I understand it that the gear train for second gear will continue to be rotated when in neutral. So if towed at 60 mph it would be like having 2nd gear engaged at 60 mph even if neutral is selected. Hence the tenancy to overheat the oil and the consequences of it.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Excellent! Any tips you'd like to share? I'd like to harden the changes & stop flare on 1/2 and 2/3 changes. And anything else that improves the feel of the car (which nominally belongs to my wife). I have a 451 and you can offer complex solutions.:)

Not too complex Tony..
There are some easy ones that partially work such as delipping the air intake which fools the air speed sensors and smooths out changes, and you can change things quite a bit with a different program
You can also stop some of the surging by changing the length of the actuating arm from the clutch solenoid but that is a bit of a pain as you really need to pull the box off to do the work

Do you know which tic pipe you have ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back