Happycampers1

Free Member
Jun 18, 2014
St Leonards, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 665
Exp
I am planning on travelling around Europe over the winter (Oct - Mar) and wondered what is the best type of gas to use in our MH. Currently we have two blue 7kg bottles but have heard we can't get refills particularly in Spain and Portugal. Any suggestions?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Blue means butane, which is not suitable when the weather gets cold, because it stops gassing off. You really should have propane. The other problem you have is that there is no standard Europe wide propane supplier. So you end up having to buy bottles for each new country and throw away the old ones.

What people often do in your position is to buy one or two refillable bottles and then use autogas, i.e. the LPG used for cars. Just drive into filling station and fill up like you would with diesel, and pay for the amount you put in. You can get a tank fitted under the motorhome or buy a bottle (or two) that looks similar to calor bottles. You will also need a filler and connection pipework, as well as adapters for the different types of filling point you will find in different countries.

I used Gasit for my refillable bottle. They sell direct to the public. If you want it fitted then Gaslow is probably better (but a bit more expensive) because they are sold by lots of dealers who will also fit them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back