Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Hi

Anybody point us in the right direction regard gas supplies when abroad, and is the way forward the Glaslow System?

Many Thanks

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Hi

Anybody point us in the right direction regard gas supplies when abroad, and is the way forward the Glaslow System?

Many Thanks

'Abroad' is a big place! - gas varies by country.

Where are you thinking of going?

How long are you going for?

::bigsmile:
Keith

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
gaslow is by far the best option but you may need adapters for each country visited.....some fit more than one country.

followed by the more dubious refill adapters off ebay and the like to fill 'normal' bottles.

another option is to buy a local gas bottle in whatever country you're in and a regulater to match.
buy from supermarkets in france and spain.
i beleive if you return it to the same outlet you can get the deposit back or bring it home until you visit again.

the last option is to buy a 'campinggaz' bottle/regulator but it works out rather expensive as they only come in 'little' size.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Harry Patch is in my mind at the moment.

Sorry, but foreign gas doesn't sound good at all.

OP
OP
Ant&Debs

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
What Gas!

Thanks Keith

We are are thinking of 2 or 3 years ish. most of europe. We just happended to see an article on the Gasglow system as it says its refillable by user.

OP
OP
Ant&Debs

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
What Gas!

Thanks Pappajohn

We think that the Gaslow system would work better than having to keep changing bottles.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Keith

We are are thinking of 2 or 3 years ish. most of europe. We just happended to see an article on the Gasglow system as it says its refillable by user.

yep!!
any country that has autogas/LPG and you can refill a lot cheaper than renewing bottles.:thumb:

but it is a big outlay to get kitted up.
probably around £400+ for two bottles and the other bits needed.

i had a (used)complete two bottle/ regulator/ changeover valve/ filler setup offered for £250 but we dont use enough gas to warrent the initial cost.

OP
OP
Ant&Debs

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
What Gas!

Thanks Pappajohn

I agree the initial outlay is big, but its better than chasing around after different bottles etc. I have just finished driving coaches around europe for 9 years and have a box of water tap connections for the different countries, so i guessed gas would be similar!

many thanks

Tony & Debbie:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
At the risk of starting another argument, any propane bottle is refilable with the correct adapter search threads gas refill adapters and make your own minds up. Mine cost £30 has paid for itself time and time again, So a lot cheaper than a gaslow system.

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
We have Gaslow and are pleased that we had it installed. ::bigsmile: No humping bottles in and out. :Sad: Like so many other things you pay for convenience and peace of mind.

With the adaptors that are available from Gaslow or most Camping-Caravan-Motorhome Accessory shops you can, as stated, fill easily where Autogas is available which means most countries.

Spain is an exception - there are places - The 'All the Aires' book from Vicarious Books lists them - there about a dozen - mainly in large cities but in out of the way locations. It's possible to get their locations off the Internet and set up POIs for your Satnav.

www.gas-tankstellen.de

Italy can be variable by region and some have said they couldn't get refilled - we toured all regions of Italy including Sicily for six months and never had a problem.

:Smile:
Keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
All the above is is relevant but for simplicity Gaslow beats them all.

We have used it for years in Europe & apart from Spain never had any problems.

Watch out if using the various POI lists as I have found (or not found) many to be inaccurate or at best difficult to find. The Vicarious book is OK but not comprehensive with the LPG locations.

With the adapter to refill Calaor bottles you still need the adapter for the foreign pumps, so 2 adapters needed to be used. Not an ideal situation IMO.

Keith

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Spain is an exception - there are places - The 'All the Aires' book from Vicarious Books lists them - there about a dozen - mainly in large cities but in out of the way locations. It's possible to get their locations off the Internet and set up POIs for your Satnav.

Another useful Map, courtesy of Olley

Autogas map of Spain - Google Maps

Download the POIs

Link Removed

jim

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
At the risk of starting another argument, any propane bottle is refilable with the correct adapter.

Well all you have to do to stop this is add "....which needs very careful use and may not comply with some regulations". Then there is nothing to argue about.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So it's not only me that can't find them. :Doh:

Out of the mouth of Ray - Desert Detourer - "forget it, it doen't happen in Spain because Spain has no gas mains everything is geared to swapping cylinders".

One person found one in Jerez but that closes very early when the owner feels like it.

What would be good, apart from the size/weight/cost would be a hand pump to decant from a local bottle into the gaslow ( or UK cylinder if you do it that way ). I've heard you can get somewhere by inverting the full one, so liquid comes out, to fill an empty one by pipe though I'm not sure now much is transferred.

AND I HAVE WATCHED CYLINDERS BEING DESTRUCTION TESTED AT HSE, YOU MOST CERTAINLY DO NOT WANT TO BE NEAR LIQUID GAS WHEN IT ALL GOES WRONG, OH NO.

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
Gaslow

Hi, we have one gaslow refillable and one small calor in reserve just in case we cant find a refil station. U K and France are easy to find refil but in Spain GPL sites are not so plentiful. However we know approx how much gas we use each week and make sure we top up if passing a station. Not all nossels are the same, so you need apaptors although in spain often the garage has a selection.The real boon is never having to hump heavy gas cylinders about. cheers Bob

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Guys the two in Malaga are listed on the Repsol site, but are the only two I have no definite information for, all the others (29? can't remember how many) I have either verification from posters or Google maps and have pinpointed them; most to within a few feet.

Now I can't guarantee they haven't closed but they either are there or have shut "and you can take that to the bank" as the yanks say.

I have been compiling an Autogas Poi for the whole of Eastern and Western Europe with much help from Momo, and I can assure you Autogas is available in every country bar one: Finland has no privately available Autogas.

Olley

Last edited:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Ditto !

We use a small Calor in reserve which we also use for the BBQ. Since the BBQ uses little it seems to be a workable solution.

And I thought that solution was my idea. :RollEyes:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Guys the two in Malaga are listed on the Repsol site, but are the only two I have no definite information for
Olley

You do now - the one on the motorway service area is not even a Repsol station and there is no sign of gas ever being there. I think Ray said there were none but he may be along to confirm this.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Brian thanks I will remove it from the map. Repsol are not the only Autogas stations, Agip, Shell and BP also have a few in Spain.

Olley

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, i do have a hand pump for lpg transfer ,its a bit too big for taking on travels. yes you can tip one bottle into another with the right connectors. i tip one into another then burn off the gas thats left .then do it again .checking weights of course. i also use a filling adapter off ebay and have all the adapters . i imagine in germany it must be possible to get adapters for their bottles as germans fill there bottles with autogas as well. if you dont want to do it then either gaslow /others is the way to go. you may still need to occasionaly get alocal bottle of gas . go to maroc only 4 quid to exchange a 13kg bottle there. pound for camping gas . there is no simple solution a big gas tank underneath seems a good one keeping bottles as emergency.have fun alan.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
the spanish autogas map has been updated except the one in central zaragoza isn't currently operational

Spainautogas

personally , as I am usually in france /spain/portugal I use a repsol bottle , obtainable free in the south of france [ one supermarket tried to charge me €5 though...I went elsewhere
; you pay for the gas , bottle plus adaptor free , it adapts to the standard french/german thread ...same as calor 4.5Kg butane dumpies

the french and portuguese bottles have different handles to spain , but I have never had a problem switching from one to the other except where repsol have small local retailers who have never seen the other handles , so not really difficult
am currently using just one bottle to save weight .....camping gas with adapter to the same thread for emergencies ...lasts me a couple of years [ BUY ONLY IN SPAIN OR MAROC ]

this way I need only one high pressure hose

if I need gas elsewhere ? butane/ propane bottles are designed to be refilled , aren't they ?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Lebesset, the site does look much better, but the location problems still remain, take the one at Valladolid the GPS puts it in the middle of a field, others like the one at Alicante are spot on. :Doh:

But Malaga has completely disappeared, so I will remove the other Malaga one from my map.

Olley

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Gaslow

Hi A&D
I bought the Gaslow system, yep about £380 from outdoorbits with all the adaptors.
Gas is less than half of calor and local stuff in Spain, France etc and easy to get. As we are retired and intending to tour for the next X years I thought the initial outlay was worth the hassle of seperate bottles/country.
RDGS
JK

OP
OP
Ant&Debs

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
What Gas!

Hi JK

Thanks for the info, we are kinda thinking down the Gaslow route, we also intend to tour X years, we also looked at the Kountrylite, but we also needed a garage in the rear to take two road legal quadbikes, which is why we went down the american route. we have brought the pick up to tow and the unit is on a ship uk bound, we also have a site close to hastings where we can put the unit before we leave for other shores.

Regards

A&D:thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
You would have thought with there being more hypbrid vehicles about these days that the supply of 'Autogas' would have got easier everywhere really, wouldn't you?

Incidentally the adaptors are only a couple of quid, hardly makes the autogas unaffordable if you have the dosh to lay out in the first place. We have just filled our nice new 6kg Gaslow bottles, 22.10 litres (max capacity is 12 litres each so it sounds about right to us!) for the princely sum of £11.43. Before going to France we picked up a swap camping Gaz 907 locally for about £25??? and the cheapest refill we found when we needed one in France was at Auchan in Chateauroux for 23 euros. And of course we did shop around as we had taken 2 bottles as we were tenting and have never used hook-up.

On the basis that we aren't planning being on hookup 24/7 but intend to use The Thing as much as poss, now we have it, frankly I look forward to the day when we can say, there, that's paid for itself now, with eager anticipation LOL

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back