Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I've been looking at buying a gas Barbeque for my motorhome but can't work out what gas bottle I need to go with it. My local petrol station only has Green bottles that are called Patio Gas, is this the right stuff? I'm sure my old BBQ used red/orange bottles.
Another question (probably stupid) my motorhome has 3 LPG tanks can I run a BBQ from one of them or will it go bang? is it the same sort of gas?

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Yes you can run your BBQ from the gas you use in your tanks
Do you have an external gas tap for a BBQ
If not I am unsure how you would connect into a fitted gas tank

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
The BBQ will run on Butane or Propane it's just how you connect to the tank and reduce the pressure

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
BMM

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
The BBQ will run on Butane or Propane it's just how you connect to the tank and reduce the pressure
OK so my habitation tank has a valve, If I can find the right adapter then job done?

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
not sure how the gas pressure would effect
an external BBQ uk uses 37mb
If you have a gas outlet that you can connect a hose to
then its a matter of connecting it to the BBQ
usually a push fit and jubilee clip
just be sensible and try it out slowly
i guess you would have to regulate it via the gas knob on the BBQ
keep it low
A little trial and error and using your sensible head
if it flares have a rethink

OP
OP
BMM

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
not sure how the gas pressure would effect
an external BBQ uk uses 37mb
If you have a gas outlet that you can connect a hose to
then its a matter of connecting it to the BBQ
usually a push fit and jubilee clip
just be sensible and try it out slowly
i guess you would have to regulate it via the gas knob on the BBQ
keep it low
A little trial and error and using your sensible head
if it flares have a rethink
That sounds a bit scary to me, think it may be safer to throw a gas bottle in one of the lockers. The petrol station close to me does little 5KG ones

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Refilling sounds scary to some people
if the connections are good it should be fine

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
lol
I am sure it would work fine the connection to your outlet is the main thing
What BBQ are you using

OP
OP
BMM

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
lol
I am sure it would work fine the connection to your outlet is the main thing
What BBQ are you using
Going to buy one tomorrow, off on our first trip next weekend

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
if you can get one with a push on gas pipe it mean you can purchase the gas pipe of a length you require

Reactions: BMM

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
If you don't know what you are doing , i would recommend having a properly fitted and regulated external gas point by a professional. ... Don't want you getting blown-up do we!

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
The take off BBQ point from the van must have the correct fitting for it.
On our old van it was a bayonet type fitting which fitted with a twist
However the rubber hose was connected to it like most gas connections with a jubilee clip.
The gas pressure has been reduced and this connection should be fine. Use a little water as you push the pipe on to add lubrication which reduces scraping inside the pipe,

This is not rocket science its the way most BBQs work.
i would look up on line what gas pressure the RV runs on.
But with care it should be fine

You can use an external propane cylinder and a 37 mb regulator but you will again have to connect a gas pipe in precisely the same way.
However you the need to carry that cylinder around with you in a locker. probably an unvented locker
Ya pays yer money and you takes yer choice

OP
OP
BMM

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
As the RV is in having a new gearbox fitted I can't have a look for a few days. Think it's best I ring the mechanic in the morning and add it to his ever increasing list of jobs:D

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That sounds a bit scary to me, think it may be safer to throw a gas bottle in one of the lockers. The petrol station close to me does little 5KG ones

If you do that you will also need to buy a regulator.

If you connect even a little bottle directly to a BBQ it will be quite entertaining for a short period of time and your eyebrows will grow back eventually (y)

OP
OP
BMM

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
If you do that you will also need to buy a regulator.

If you connect even a little bottle directly to a BBQ it will be quite entertaining for a short period of time and your eyebrows will grow back eventually (y)
I think most BBQs come with the regulator

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Don't count on it.

A lot don't even come with a hose.

Funny hour on a site a few years ago watching some tuggers who were obviously on their first trip evidenced by every single thing they had still being in it's original wrappings. A highlight was watching them unpack their shiny new Cadac to discover they had no means of getting any gas to it. This caused a minor domestic until they slung it to one side and decided to use their electric Teppanyaki grill thingy instead so they unpacked that and discovered it didn't have a UK plug. This domestic was slightly less minor. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

OP
OP
BMM

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Don't count on it.

A lot don't even come with a hose.

Funny hour on a site a few years ago watching some tuggers who were obviously on their first trip evidenced by every single thing they had still being in it's original wrappings. A highlight was watching them unpack their shiny new Cadac to discover they had no means of getting any gas to it. This caused a minor domestic until they slung it to one side and decided to use their electric Teppanyaki grill thingy instead so they unpacked that and discovered it didn't have a UK plug. This domestic was slightly less minor. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
That will be me next week, I don't have a bloody clue. not really even driven the thing yet and I'm heading towards Spain for the summer

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That will be me next week, I don't have a bloody clue. not really even driven the thing yet and I'm heading towards Spain for the summer

Once you get through the tunnel or off the ferry they drive on the wrong side of the road (y)

OP
OP
BMM

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Once you get through the tunnel or off the ferry they drive on the wrong side of the road (y)
I'm OK with that bit as I spend most of my time in a country that drives on the wrong side. My theory is that it's the size of a bus and I've never met a particularly clever bus driver therefore how hard can it be? :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Very few come with a regulator or hose....in fact I can't think of any.
American ones do however, as they run directly from the tank under full tank pressure and reduce pressure at the BBQs inbuilt regulator.

All you need is to Tee a proper outlet such as a Bullfinch into a supply pipe to the hob/oven or furnace as these are already regulated by the tanks 2 stage regulator.
The Yanks use a completely different regulator to Europeans.....it's attached directly to the tank rather than a bulkhead mount and reduces pressure in two stages.

BUT, no offense, but it sounds like you have no experience and little knowledge so get a professional fitter to install it all....preferably a fitter who knows the American gas system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BMM

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Very few come with a regulator or hose....in fact I can't think of any.
American ones do however, as they run directly from the tank under full tank pressure and reduce pressure at the BBQs inbuilt regulator.

All you need is to Tee into a supply pipe to the hob/oven or furnace as these are already regulated by the tanks 2 stage regulator.

BUT, no offense, but it sounds like you have no experience and little knowledge so get a professional fitter to install it all....preferably a fitter who knows the American gas system.
Yep I think you are right, no way I'm touching it, especially with my luck at the moment. I've managed less than 20 miles since I bought it and have had to replace gearbox, torque converter and transmission mounted brake so far, not far off £10k

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
replace gearbox, torque converter and transmission mounted brake so far, not far off £10k
A word of advise....don't bother using the tranny brake....leave it in park when pitched.
It will NOT hold back 350 plus horsepower and 500 footpounds of torque when, not if, you forget to release it.
I printed a card reminding my to release it and Sat it on the instrument cluster when pitched....and still forgot occasionally.

OP
OP
BMM

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
A word of advise....don't bother using the tranny brake....leave it in park when pitched.
It will NOT hold back 350 plus horsepower and 500 footpounds of torque when, not if, you forget to release it.
I printed a card reminding my to release it and Sat it on the instrument cluster when pitched....and still forgot occasionally.
If it wasn't for the MOT I wouldn't have replaced it, did think about filling the gap with something else. it's now a £1500 spacer. I'll probably disconnect the cable anyway. bloody thing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back