What food stuff do YOU take in the van when you set off? (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Discounting what you buy when en-route, what do you all take? My wife insists on salad items to feed me with a pork pie half or a quiche to make it up. Or soups, with a loaf of bread for sandwiches for lunch with ham slices or chicken pieces.. This is for summer and it comes from the local Aldi in Dover , or when we are going North from the one in Towcester on the A5. She has told me to ask you what you take and how you deal with it. We have a full oven on board so cooking is no real trouble, except toast!!!!!!!!! Bacon sarnies have to wait for rallies as she does not carry a frying pan, too messy. Culinary delights would be acceptable to me, and even the Frey Bentos pies but they are a bit empty. Fish and chip shops are an emergency supply, but something less fiiling would be nice.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
More than we should, which is all extra weight. It'll have to change when we get another MH as we won't have so much fixed bunk space to pile stuff into.

A good stock of UHT milk cartons comes in handy because our current fridge is too small. We make good use of local supermarkets when abroad, and will probably have to use them more often in future. A bigger fridge will help no end.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We take whatever is left in the fridge, plus a few emergency rations of tinned meat, fruit and veggies. Rice, pasta etc. We tend to continue to eat what we would have eaten ad we been at home.

I do take a bread maker with me and flour mixes as getting decent gluten-free bread is a bit of a lottery :)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Essentials: Sausages, baked beans, hash browns, bacon and eggs. Whenever we take the van out, we have a fried breaky, it's the law!!!
Other foodstuffs include, bread, smoked salmon and choc chip brioche bread great for stop offs at the services.
We always carry emergency supplies of tinned ready meals (fray bentos included) so should an emergency strike we have plenty of food on board. A quick point, we recently tried out the tinned curries that you can buy in the supermarkets, and I was amazed to find they are not too shabby. We now carry them and boil in the bag rice :D

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Used to take emergency rations of UHT milk, tinned meat, and such but never used them until the end of season, when we tidied up. Extra cheese and biscuits is a good standby.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Haha Racing Thetford N145 Fridge/Freezer full to the brim Plus in the trailer Dometic RC 1200 EGP full, Food for the whole team for 3 nights sometimes 4 nights. When on holiday bare minimum always like to buy food local to where we are staying to show willing to local trades, doesn't do any harm too the image of Motorhome's.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The 'fray bentos pie' we bought for emergencies, so far it's done 22,000miles in the last 18 months, and is looking forward to another trip to morocco!!!

At that rate it will have evolved into a new life form and be able to make it's own way to Morocco!

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
M&S ready meals at least for the first couple of days. Ice cubes !!! Buy the 'enclosed' type of tray with a lid on. For that first G&T !! You can get them on Ebygumbay. If you should happen to defrost you won't have water all over the place. We also ask, if we're on-site, the wardens and other campers where the best pub is for a Sunday roast. Though we have a Cadac we also have a double gas burner. Get a non-stick grill plate and cook the best breakfast on it. You might like the silicon egg rings from Lakeland so that your fried egg stays still and ring shaped. We also have a tin of M&S chunky steak that's done a few miles. Regards, Ann & Mike

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
We take corned beef, tinned peas and broad beans, tinned soup, boil in the bag rice, tin of stewed steak, vacuum packed bacon and part-baked bread Most of it (apart from the bacon and bread) comes back with us unused as we shop every few days for fresh meat, veg and fruit. We buy UHT milk in packs of 6 in France so that we never run out. I also carry stock cubes, cornflour, olive oil etc as we have an oven and on Sundays I usually cook a roast dinner with roast potatoes, fresh veg and gravy. Re the "too messy" frying pan mentioned by GWAYGWAY, I wipe ours out with kitchen paper and most of the time it doesn't even need washing. Can't wait for our next trip.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Plenty of packets of salt and vinegar crisps and lots of San Miguel(y)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
If it's a uk weekend with @cliffandger we usually have a stew or curry made by either of us (I use a Mr Ds hot pot) Link Removed on the Friday night followed by a cooked brunch on sat.
Eggs, bacon, halumoni, baked beans, black pudding, sausage, mushrooms and fresh wilted spinach was a new favourite combo this year, cooked on the cadac.

When away in France we shop locally for a few days, mainly for bbq meats, salads or mixed veg. Bread, wine and cheese of course.

We always have at least a few meals made up of stock cupboard ingredients in the van, just in case...the only time we've been desperate was forgetting we were in France on a bank holiday and having to eat lentil dhal for breakfast :eek:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Essentials: Sausages, baked beans, hash browns, bacon and eggs. Whenever we take the van out, we have a fried breaky, it's the law!!!
Other foodstuffs include, bread, smoked salmon and choc chip brioche bread great for stop offs at the services.
We always carry emergency supplies of tinned ready meals (fray bentos included) so should an emergency strike we have plenty of food on board. A quick point, we recently tried out the tinned curries that you can buy in the supermarkets, and I was amazed to find they are not too shabby. We now carry them and boil in the bag rice :D

Crikey !........the cassette must be full before you get there!

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
If it's a uk weekend with @cliffandger we usually have a stew or curry made by either of us (I use a Mr Ds hot pot) Link Removed on the Friday night followed by a cooked brunch on sat.
Eggs, bacon, halumoni, baked beans, black pudding, sausage, mushrooms and fresh wilted spinach was a new favourite combo this year, cooked on the cadac.

When away in France we shop locally for a few days, mainly for bbq meats, salads or mixed veg. Bread, wine and cheese of course.

We always have at least a few meals made up of stock cupboard ingredients in the van, just in case...the only time we've been desperate was forgetting we were in France on a bank holiday and having to eat lentil dhal for breakfast :eek:
Quite so, and Dawn's presentation skills are always far superior to ours... her food always looks (and tastes) better than mine. However, I have a competitor to Mr D being collected from Waitrose tomorrow Dawn ..... I'm hoping for great things - just wait and see!

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Quite so, and Dawn's presentation skills are always far superior to ours... her food always looks (and tastes) better than mine. However, I have a competitor to Mr D being collected from Waitrose tomorrow Dawn ..... I'm hoping for great things - just wait and see!

Ow tell us more! I won't sleep tonight now with the anticipation!

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Nothing except a box of lady grey tea, box of granola and some fruit/milk for 2 brekkies and 4 bottles of french rose wine in case we can't get any on way down south. We always have a lovely burrito and sweet potato fries in the services not long fore eurotunnel and a pastry next morning halfways down France. Everything else is bought wherever we are.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
We are both veggie so fridge full of quorn or quorn curries/ pies (not seen it in France) -and we take birds eye chillies-loads of packets of pulses- free range eggs-brown rice-coriander and poppadums -lots of Stella in case we get stuck somewhere-and always have stack of spices in van . In U.K. we take what we need to use up, unless grandkids with us then it is shipping orders of cereal milk fruit beans cake quorn eggs () cheese and fresh fish...in France we eat cheese .... cheese... more cheese and have to wean selves off it when we get home. In van with time I make scones/ cakes and we eat them warm... oh to live in the van forever!!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I get Mand S picnic treats for the journey take one meal prepared and frozen to defrost on route ( cools down fridge on ferry) and pasta or rice . Then first call is a French supermarket!! And local shops and markets! If at home same again but a few more staples ( our supermarkets aren't the same!!)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I always remove anything that that was there at he beginning of my last trip - it was obviously just ballast and wasted payload.
Then a short visit to Lidl or Aldi and stock up with whatever catches my eye, oddly enough I tend to go for food that I wouldn't normally eat at home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back