What food allowed into France (1 Viewer)

Aug 23, 2012
Newburgh
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
8 yr
Hi, we’re finally off to France in 2 weeks with our dog, aware of the new restrictions, just wondering if anyone been recently and what did you manage to take ie milk/meat.
do they check your fridge or cupboards. Have a few sorage places where could put the dry dog food, it is Harrington’s salmon so in theory that should be allowed
just wondered how strict they are, esp in August when the outward trains will be busy
any advice appreciated

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
It did occur to me as I walked the aisles of Lidl the other day (other germanic stores are available) that there are many items on the shelves that do not eminate from the UK.
Saw French goats cheese, Irish salad 'stuff' Spanish chorizo.

Peeps on here that know me might be shocked at my stance on this (earned my pension being a goody goody) but I'll take that stuff and argue my corner if I need to.
I'm not being precious about this but it's for personal consumption and I'm taking their (EU) products back to them.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I think we all know the rules, as they stand, can take nothing of meat or dairy origins regardless of where processed and restricted amounts of certain sea food. I doubt many would advertise the fact on here they had been stopped & fined or whatever action taken.

The risk comes when, or if, you do get stopped & I think legally they could, in the right circumstances, arrest you and impound the vehicle! The Police in the UK can arrest and detain for court foreign nationals who break even low level laws, where you and I would get a summons, and seize their vehicles in certain circumstances.

I've thought about taking things when we next travel but on reflection always come back to complying with the law and just shopping there. It is a real disappointment as we used to travel as many as 7 days in a row and would make our own meals and freeze them so that each night we had something substantial to eat without the need to find shops on the way. When we examined it we saw that almost everything we eat on those journeys has some form of meat or dairy product contained in it, making it illegal.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
We took dog food wet and dry, also basic items for our consumption. No checks, no interest by anyone. That was about four weeks ago out, one week ago back.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Don't travel on a Sunday because you may find it difficult to find an open supermarket.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Cite Europe is open on Sundays 👍🏻

We traveled on a Sunday, and did a proper shop Monday morning

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SD j

Free Member
May 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin supreme
Exp
Since 2000
We filled the fridge as usual, not realising we weren’t allowed to.
No one checked anything other than our passports and our Covid certs.
(Tunnel)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I'm going to fill my fridge with expensive 'purchased in the UK' wine.

That'll confuse them.

:p :p :p

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I’m going to put a piece of Saint Agur that was purchased in Tesco in the fridge and invite them to check the Fridge.

OP
OP
Deb98
Aug 23, 2012
Newburgh
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
8 yr
Thanks everyone from what I read on other sites, no checking of motorhome s at eurot7nnel just checking paperwork and pet ahc

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Crossed over Newhaven to Dieppe last month. A chap had a brief look inside to make sure we didn't have any extra passengers, absolutely no interest in the food on board. So all my meat and dairy based staples stayed with us.
Returning I complied with the duty free allowance (18 Litres of wine), again no interest in checking on landing so I could have brought extra if I'd been bothered

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
We got 'randomly' checked at Dover yesterday. This consisted of asking be to open the garage. It was rammed, no attempt to examine anything inside. Also poked his head in the hab area but didn't go inside. Other person did a examination under the viechke with a Miror. That was it.

I was worried they might make me throw away my precooked homemade frozen meals which would have been annoying!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back