What first motorhome? (1 Viewer)

mobi

Free Member
Apr 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
N/A
Looking for my first motorhome. Have few questions.

I don't intend to live in a MH. I shall be using it for occasional getaways - mostly in UK and sometimes in continental Europe. Prefer RHD MH with habitat door on left. I need at least 3 belted seats (2 adults + 1 child) though 4 seats preferable.

I intend to use the MH fairly often, not just for "holidays". For example for day trips or when working solo away from home etc. When travelling with full family I reckon at most we shall be in MH 5-7 days max. Beyond that it may be claustrophobic.

Do I have to carry passengers only in belted seats? If I have 4 belted seats, can I carry 5th/6th passengers in rear lounge?

Why small campervans (with no shower/toilet) cost same as larger motorhomes with toilet & shower?

Is it possible to have no gas at all and have a larger leisure battery instead? I don't intend to cook inside MH so is happy with just a microwave and fridge. Is heating possible with gas only or works with battery electric too?

What is the different between van conversion and coachbuilt in real life? Are coachbuilts safe in case of an accident? Is a van with metal panel safer compared to fiberglass coachbuilt MH?

Among my shortlisted MHs, I am leaning towards Autotrail Expedition 67 because its sub £40k price tag.

Based on your experience, what are the most common mistakes newbies make while buying a MH?

Thanx

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Lots of questions! Welcome to the Fun :)

Best advice I had was to look at as many vans as you can to see what works best for you.

As for carrying someone without a seatbelt - what price do you put on their life?

Someone will be along soon to answer some more of your questions.

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from sunny Ciren! ☀️ (y)

(NEVER EVER carry unbelted passengers.......!o_Oo_O)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Welcome!
I have known people living in large American motorhomes, with every home comfort but they can be a pig to find good parking places. The average sized Motorhome can still limit where to park for shopping, then there are commercial body's that may limit what you can take with you. Selecting the ideal van is a problem for all of us, inevitably ending in a compromise. Very few of us get it right first time but have fun making your choices.

Upvote 0

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
This is my standard answer to this question which does get asked a lot.
Find a layout that think suits then go and hire a van with the same layout that way you get a dress rehearsal a nd if it doesn't work your 40 grand in the loo just the cost of the hire

Upvote 0

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Oh and why would you even think about carrying a passenger without a seat belt especially in tne rear lounge in a head on collision how fast will they will be travelling as they exit the front windscreen probably taking some other people's head with them
possibly a bit graphic but truthful

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Research research research. It seems you’ve joined today (welcome) without doing any research of your own and will by the end of the day got lots of different answers. PVC or C class or A class is entirely up to you.
Oh and no belt no carry!
Good luck.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
In theory you could do without gas if you intend to use campsites all the time. It is not possible to run a microwave or heating from a leisure battery - it wouldn’t last ‘5 minutes’ before draining the battery. If you intend going abroad your best bet is to get proper refillable gas, like Gaslow or similar.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mobi

mobi

Free Member
Apr 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
N/A
Ok, I understand no one should travel in unbelted seats.
I have seen few MHs advertised as 2 belted seats but with 4 berths. So wondered why.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I have seen few MHs advertised as 2 belted seats but with 4 berths. So wondered why.
They follow in a car and meet up on site. Or travel illegally and risk having an accident.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Nothing wrong with gas. Just wanted to check if all electric a possibility. I thought no gas means one less thing to go wrong.
Yes it is, unusual but possible. You will need ehu or use all your payload up on batteries and solar.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Nothing wrong with gas. Just wanted to check if all electric a possibility. I thought no gas means one less thing to go wrong.
I think gas is one of the less problematic bits of van life. Electrics and battery charging is far more of a problem. It is a steep learning curve I'm afraid.

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Nearly bought one like that but the next we looked at had both 4 berths and four belts, it has a rear lounge. I would advise not to get hung up about the side of the habitation door In a coach built as you can always dismount through the cab doors. A lot of European built are handed for Europe even If RHD. But do as some are saying, look physically at the layouts at a dealers to get your ideas sorted then hire for at least a week to test the layout. If you have been a tugger you might be better placed to judge layouts but the style of camping is different in that you can move off a pitch with probable 5-10 minutes notice with a motorhome, not with a caravan. Gas can be used anywhere but you need to balance the weight of the cylinder (of any sort) with the gas against what you need to carry including water, food, clothing, camping chairs, the more you think about it the more you add but DO NOT exceed the maximum weight. Get to a weigh bridge once kitted out to see what it weighs.

Upvote 0

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
It can be quite overwhelming when buying your first motorhome as their is a massive list of options on equipment, the Benimar Mileo's are a good option as they fit nearly all options as standard, later when you change vans as most people do you will know what you want and what you don't.

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
It can be quite overwhelming when buying your first motorhome as their is a massive list of options on equipment, the Benimar Mileo's are a good option as they fit nearly all options as standard, later when you change vans as most people do you will know what you want and what you don't.
Many replies, IK copter, are assuming buying new which can be daunting on an expensive vehicle with a number of options. Take note that the size of the vehicle is an issue with ferries. We were encouraged by our German friends whose motorhoming goes back along way to keep to a maximum length of 6 metres. Another point I that vehicles over 3 metres in height are in a different toll band in France. width does not seem to matter as you will not be over 2.5 metres anyway. Weight up to 3.5 tonnes laden is allowed if you do not have the C1 driving licence especially if you are over 70 and let it lapse but you cannot go over that max weight without C1. Secondhand then also becomes an issue of how many are you carrying and have you the seat belts to carry the same? Double floors mean you can stash loads of stuff without interfering with the living space and it keeps warmer in winter and protects the water tanks as they are usually in that case between floors where the heating pipes will run. Also used means you might have wear and tear issue very soon and you might not have all the extra goodies you would have liked (remember these weigh something so reduce your payload). What a palaver you might add! So good luck. and when you have bought it enjoy it.

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings peeps welcome from Bexley.

I only have 2 seats and often have tell Mrs vipar to belt up.

Good advise look at as many as you can before spending your dosh.

Upvote 0

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
In theory you could do without gas if you intend to use campsites all the time. It is not possible to run a microwave or heating from a leisure battery - it wouldn’t last ‘5 minutes’ before draining the battery. If you intend going abroad your best bet is to get proper refillable gas, like Gaslow or similar.
You can now have an entirely diesel set ups - fuel, cooking and heating - saves on space and only one few source to worry about

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Welcome to Fun!
You are starting to think well and this is a good place to ask questions (best, one at a time).
Do as much research and thinking (then asking) as you can before launching into this hobby and start within budget as there will be additional requirements beyond the price of your van.
Think about PAYLOAD (the total weight of everything being carried on the axles), then look at layouts.
Stick to convention for the first van. You are unlikely, in spite of all the careful consideration, to get it right first time so will need to sell-on once you've discovered what is of greatest importance to you.
Most of your ideas are fine, except that you will need gas for heating and cooking.
I'm not sure about belts for all passengers, but thought that sideways seats could be used if there were no forward/backward facing ones spare with belts (an anomaly).
Van conversions (tin all round) are built within an existing panel van and tend to be more cramped.
Coach-built van are constructed on top of a chassis, so are usually taller and wider than the panel version that would otherwise be running on that chassis. So coach-built will give you much more space. I know it's only inches but they are precious if more than two of you - camping can be a very friendly activity but it needn't be intimate. Coach-built may suffer water ingress more so than panel van conversion (PVC) but good ones should be just as strong as a PVC or, at least, strong enough to save the occupants in case of collision. Remember that it's several time the weight of your car, so you'll need to moderate your driving behaviour.
Good luck in your quest. I'm sure you'll enjoy the adventure it'll bring. The early years (whilst still ignorant) can be some of your best!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back