What everyone doing this winter? (1 Viewer)

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Camping Les lanchettes was great a couple of years ago, bus stops outside the campsite.

There is s great campsite at La Rosiere across the valley.

We will be giving skiing a miss this year, I can't think how they will ensure social distancing will work.

Each to his/her own though.

Aug 9, 2018
Funster No
I am also tempted. We have been to Val Thorens many times in a hotel as there is always somewhere to ski, suits all abilities and gas direct access to the whole of the 3 Valleys. We have looked at MHs in the various parking areas and it looks doable so we are tempted to go for several weeks...

Feb 5, 2020
Stone, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
I am also tempted. We have been to Val Thorens many times in a hotel as there is always somewhere to ski, suits all abilities and gas direct access to the whole of the 3 Valleys. We have looked at MHs in the various parking areas and it looks doable so we are tempted to go for several weeks...
We looked at the campsite at the bottom of the Olympe Gondola in Brides Les Bains which takes you up to Meribel, unfortunately it isn't open in winter!
Agree that the 3 valleys is fantastic.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
but then you are missing the point. In a motorhome if you are not time precious, you can explore many different resorts. Often we will hit Calais and do a weather check and bang, off we go, don't like it, move on.

Motorhoming and skiing isn't for everyone and can be hard work having to get and keep a van serviceable when the temps hit -20 but having said that, personally? I wouldn't have it any other way, or should I say, I can't as my wife can't fly.
View attachment 417221View attachment 417222View attachment 417223
These photographs put this on my for sure “list to do”.

SD j

Free Member
May 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin supreme
Exp
Since 2000
Hoping to to get to our place just outside morzine , not seen it since january.:(
we usually fly in winter but this year all being well we will drive down in the van Via the tunnel.
never fancied spending a ski trip in a MH . Brrrrr

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Presently booked March 2021
Grubhof, fieberbrunn, zillertal and St anton.
will langlauf if lifts dodgy but can’t get through winter without snowy mountains.
That’s all dependent on gammy knee improving.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Chris Laing I know they don’t compare (well I don’t as never skied in France) but have you thought of Glencoe or other Scottish resorts, I’m a beginner at skiing so might be totally different for you. Glencoe has pitch’s with hook up and if you avoid the weekend and school holidays you’ll have the place to yourself, might do for a few nights to keep the hand in until you get the chance to go abroad again. Glennshee also has hookup but you can’t book so if it’s important I wouldn’t change it.

OP
OP
Chris Laing
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Chris Laing I know they don’t compare (well I don’t as never skied in France) but have you thought of Glencoe or other Scottish resorts, I’m a beginner at skiing so might be totally different for you. Glencoe has pitch’s with hook up and if you avoid the weekend and school holidays you’ll have the place to yourself, might do for a few nights to keep the hand in until you get the chance to go abroad again. Glennshee also has hookup but you can’t book so if it’s important I wouldn’t change it.

Hi Lorger

I was skiing at Glencoe 2 years ago it wasn't the most pleasant experience. The problem with Scotland there has been very little snow over the last 3 years. If there was a consistant amount of snow I would go to Glenshee and Aviemore its only a 3 hour drive.
Im now an intermediate and have skied at Alpe D Huez, Bansko and last year Obergurgl in Austria. Ive only been skiing for 3 years but skiing in Austria is a whole new world.
Where have you been going? Do you practice at Snow factory at Braehead?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Lorger

I was skiing at Glencoe 2 years ago it wasn't the most pleasant experience. The problem with Scotland there has been very little snow over the last 3 years. If there was a consistant amount of snow I would go to Glenshee and Aviemore its only a 3 hour drive.
Im now an intermediate and have skied at Alpe D Huez, Bansko and last year Obergurgl in Austria. Ive only been skiing for 3 years but skiing in Austria is a whole new world.
Where have you been going? Do you practice at Snow factory at Braehead?

I’ve only been to Glencoe and Glenshee so not much experience, I tried snowboarding at Braehead and enjoyed it but hated having to strap the boot in all the time 😂

My Wife didn’t like it but my daughter does like me so we plan a week in the alps one year.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Keeping my fingers crossed for our self drive/ self catering chalet in St Foy over New Year (daughter’s 30th Birthday) booked last December. Not feeling particularly hopeful.

Sep 9, 2016
Nr Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma 89
Exp
Since 2012
Ferry booked for end of Feb, Portsmouth to Bilbao then three and half months touring Spain and southern France. Got to get away from this S--- it's spoilt our holidays this year not going to let it spoil next years.
Provided we can get out of the UK and Spain accepts us WE ARE GOING.

Aug 19, 2020
Wilts
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
Since 2007
I first went to Bourg St Maurice by train with a cousin in summer 1982 to ski on the glacier at the Grand Motte in Tignes. It was a single track line in those days and the conductor got out to change the points at the passing loop at Aime - all fun to watch.
The Camping de La Foret at La Rosierre was excellent when we stayed there 7-8 years ago and of course you have the bonus of being able to ski over into La Thuille, with proper pasta for lunch!
For touring skiers like us, there is a useful little parking place for 4-5 cars (spaces large enough to take a 7m MH) down by the river bridge in Brides les Bains, with a useful local hopper bus to get you to the lift station in the morning. Fine for a couple of nights.
We too are watching (nervously) the unfolding horror show in France & praying that they get it under control by New Year.
Cb.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Health first, skiing second flying not a chance , don't think it's worth the risk, how do you avoid the crowds ?

Aug 19, 2020
Wilts
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
Since 2007
By having a motorhome! We tend to avoid the large advertised resorts, especially those popular with Brits and seek out what I think of as "family/1 day" resorts which offer a days skiing, but usually without hoards of people, queues, cramped gondolas or cabins & busy restaurants. If it doesn't look right, move on.
Cb.

OP
OP
Chris Laing
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
By having a motorhome! We tend to avoid the large advertised resorts, especially those popular with Brits and seek out what I think of as "family/1 day" resorts which offer a days skiing, but usually without hoards of people, queues, cramped gondolas or cabins & busy restaurants. If it doesn't look right, move on.
Cb.
Well that rules out Bansko Bulgaria its like the ski version of Benidorm. :giggle: Thankfully ive no plans to drive that far.
Do you have any other recomendations?
So far Im looking at either Montegenvre or Bourg Saint Maurice (les arcs)

Aug 19, 2020
Wilts
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Chris, yes, we have done Mont-Genevre a few times and the site there is fine. If you think you can make it over the Col de Lauteret, then it's worth going in via the Grenobles end and try the skiing at Alp d'Huez, which is far better than Les Deux Alpes. Someone said earlier that the aire at Huez was now shut, but there is Camping La Cascade at the bottom of the hill, just outside Bourg d'Oisons, very tidy and I think there is a bus goes up to the resort at times. I think we also skied at La Grave too. There is also a small site in Vaujany, the other side of Huez, all part of the same system I believe.
Good luck, Cb.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hoping, with all fingers crossed, that we can move our New Years chalet booking to next year. Otherwise cancelling and also sitting at home sobbing.

• HeartHug
Reactions: f6c
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Going some time when timing looks good and ski stations have sorted out how they are going to operate. noticed ski pass prices creeping up.

1601836880949.png

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
We regretfully have cancelled the annual family ski trip to Alpe d’ Huez ( don’t go in Moho we have a small apartment there ) as general uncertainty about Q14 -grandkids cant miss school on return -and Boxing Day arrival for them was on cards via train ( not flying this year ) has scuppered plans. However the resort will be fully open and the Covid safety measures being put in place according to the locals will be second to none. Looks like it will be less crowded than usual and has already snowed so Sod’s law it will be a great season. Did not know they had closed the Aire - I often walked round it admiring the vans and the hardy occupants. They had massively increased size of it last year and I am surprised it is closed. The resort is closed for the Tomorrowland festival and so the Aire is not free then. Motor homes have parked outside the recreation centre n the past, can’t see why the resort would stop income stream from motorhomers ....

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
All being well with quarantine lifted for France Im looking to go to the aire at montegenevre for a week from 12 - 19th dec. Its the best low cost option i can find as I cant get a direct flight from Scotland that early in the season.
Just as an aside, i came through Montgenevre two weeks ago en route to Italy. It was like a ghost town. Everything shut except for 2 cafes. Hardly a soul to be seen. It was really strange!

OP
OP
Chris Laing
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Just as an aside, i came through Montgenevre two weeks ago en route to Italy. It was like a ghost town. Everything shut except for 2 cafes. Hardly a soul to be seen. It was really strange!
I would expect once the snow arrives that will change. Still cant decide between Montegenevre or Huttopia at Bourg saint maurice.
The snow has already arrived in Obergurgl and Solden and its making me twitchy. This bloody virus is doing my head in.:mad:

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
Im still hopeful. If we have a mini lockdown now, things might improve for the initial part of the season. I've booked the Newcastle to Amsterdam ferry for 10 dec. My thinking was if I went early season I might get some skiing done before they close the resorts as a result of outbreaks. Also I think the resorts won't be as busy this year with less people flying. Fingers crossed!

Oct 9, 2018
Los Gallardos, Almeria
Funster No
MH
2012 Frankia i8400QD
Exp
Since Feb 2018
but then you are missing the point. In a motorhome if you are not time precious, you can explore many different resorts. Often we will hit Calais and do a weather check and bang, off we go, don't like it, move on.

Motorhoming and skiing isn't for everyone and can be hard work having to get and keep a van serviceable when the temps hit -20 but having said that, personally? I wouldn't have it any other way, or should I say, I can't as my wife can't fly.
View attachment 417221View attachment 417222View attachment 417223
Loved our season in the Alps last year - unfortunately cut short in March but managed Spain Switzerland and France on the Snowpass and Magic pass. Currently in Spain but hoping to be back in Switzerland this winter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back