What effect does remapping your engine have on insurance (1 Viewer)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
1565291132242.png
remapping is like carrying a spare ? or not....... you pays your money your choice.

there will always be differences in opinion about what lets you sleep soundly at night.

whats the right choice for one is not for the other..

back to the original post....... insurance company notes the change ... no charge...

May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi.

We are looking to buy a reasonably large a class motorhome in the 4000 kg to 5000 kg range. Many were looking at seem to have a 2.3 citron engine with around 130bhp And I’m concerned that this may be a bit underpowered.

One solution for this would be to get the engine remapped which looks like it could get it up to 150 BHP to 180 bhp together with a useful uplift in torque.

Do you have to notify your insurance company if you do this? If so, what sort of impact does it have on premiums?

Also, whilst not in insurance related question, what sort of impact does this have on the longevity and fuel economy of the engine? Are there any other reasons why it might not be a good idea?

Thanks.

Chris
Whatever engine you get, try to get an automatic gearbox. Having had two motorhomes, one manual and one auto, there’s no comparison. So much more relaxing to drive for long distances, and more importantly in traffic. The Fiat comfort-matic may not be perfect but it’s worth it’s weight in gold.

Sneaky Blinder

Free Member
Jul 12, 2019
South Ayrshire, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bessecarr E560
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
I've had several remaps over the past few years on my Honda Civic turbo diesel, all with the same company. Each one was an improvement on the previous one, and ALL improved both power output and fuel efficiency.

However, later maps did involve other engine upgrades, including twin plate clutch, 8 pot brake calipers with bigger discs, to name a few.

Always advise insurers of any changes you make to the vehicle, just to cover yourself.

As with all things, there are both good and bad remappers out there, so do your homework.

I wouldn't touch a tuning box or chip with a barge pole.

I've recently purchased a motorhome and will be getting it mapped by the same company I have used before, but it's a 1500 mile round trip.

The good news is that they are based in Cornwall, and the remap is done on a rolling road, and is vehicle specific.

Following chart is a Stage 1 for a 2.3 Ducato, and does not require any other engine mods...

Fiat_Ducato_Gen_3_23_Multijet_2287_cc_2007-2011_120_bhp_Stag.jpg

Improved braking can be achieved by simply fitting better front brake pads, like EBC Redstuff.

And the reason that most vehicles leave factories with standard maps only utilising 70% of an engine's potential is one of reliability.

Vehicle recalls and warranty work are costly and damage reputations.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back