what dog ? (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have just noticed, I think all us dog owners (me included) missed the OP's ultimate dilemma. It sounds to me a little like this could be the first time ownership of a dog? Correct me if I am wrong? Whilst all us dog owners are pretty relaxed about having hairy carpets and chewed furniture etc. these are things that are horrifying to a new dog owner.
If you are indeed a first time dog owner, you will want a breed that is placid and easy going, and above all easy to train! For example, a first time owner should never consider a Rotweiller for example. Intelligent dogs like Jack Russell Terriers or Border Collies can be a handful if not shown early leadership. Ironically Staffordshire Bull Terriers, although they get a bad press are extremely easy to train, and extremely loyal.
Over and above the moulting thing, I would look at what you want from a dog, each breed has different needs. I couldn't imagine a trip out in our van without a dog, and whilst we were without dog, it seemed very empty. A dog is going to occupy every moment of your life, it will expect nothing more from you than love and guidance for the whole of it's life.
Also, many have said it, if you have no children to consider, pop down to your local rescue home, there are many dogs that need a good home.

Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
This has been one of my favourite threads. All the photos of great dogs. Lost one of ours 3 months ago due to lymphoma after 12 years and we have taken on our daughters dog. Black Pekinese. No moulting, easy to walk and great companion. But it won't run after sticks or balls. We keep telling it to BE MORE DOG....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• IMG_4230.jpg
    IMG_4230.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 32

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
But it won't run after sticks or balls. We keep telling it to BE MORE DOG....
After years of Labradors, this is one we can't get used to. The look of disgust on our Berners face when we throw a ball for her. I can just imagine what she is thinking, "you threw it, why should I get it?" :D

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
My lovely girl in the avatar went to the bridge a week ago, I hardly have to hoover now but I would happily hoover if I could see that face every night. We now are left with an labrador/springer and a newish to us Border Terrier as our old Border also went to bridge in July.View attachment 83346View attachment 83347
@big bertha From previous posts, I think you have links to Labrador Rescue North West. Was your lovely girl from MKF?

Last edited:
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I can not offer any advice as I do not have a dog :( however after seeing so many people with 'Staffies' I was pleasantly surprised to find out this.....

Temperament[edit]
Although individual differences in personality exist, common traits exist throughout the Staffords. Due to its breeding, and history, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier is known for its character of fearlessness and loyalty.[10] This, coupled with its affection for its friends, its off-duty quietness and trustworthy stability, make it a foremost all-purpose dog.[11]

The breed is naturally muscular and may appear intimidating; however, because of their natural fondness for people, most Staffords are temperamentally ill-suited for guard or attack-dog training. Staffordshire Bull Terrier puppies are very easy to house train.[12]

Affinity with people[edit]
Staffordshire Bull Terriers are friendly, enthusiastic and usually extremely affectionate[13] towards humans. They express their affection through jumping up, nuzzling, licking[14] and pawing, and even when trained can still be 'fussy' with owners and others. Staffordshires are perhaps not suitable pets for those who prefer more reserved dogs. Staffordshires are notably adaptable in terms of changing home or even owners, and unfortunately this can make them easy prey for dognappers.[15]

RSPCA chief vet Mark Evans said: "Staffies have had a terrible press, but this is not of their own making—in fact they're wonderful dogs. If people think that Staffies have problems, they're looking at the wrong end of the dog lead! When well cared for and properly trained they can make brilliant companions. Our experience suggests that problems occur when bad owners exploit the Staffie's desire to please by training them to show aggression."[16]

Much to my shame I had thought they were 'dangerous'.....:cautious:

Still not for me but they do appear well suited for MH'ers (y)

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Staffordshire Bull Terriers are friendly, enthusiastic and usually extremely affectionate[13] towards humans. They express their affection through jumping up, nuzzling, licking[14] and pawing, and even when trained can still be 'fussy' with owners and others. Staffordshires are perhaps not suitable pets for those who prefer more reserved dogs.

That is the problem with Staffies, especially when younger, they want to be everyones mate and tend to lick them to death. Good news is they quieten down (a little) when they get older.....I hope :D

Brian

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
@big bertha From previous posts, I think you have links to Labrador Rescue North West. Was your lovely girl from MKF?

Hi Katv, Heather didn't come from LNW, I do still pop into read their forums now and again.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
We love the staffies and all breeds. Just be aware that some campsites do not permit staffie types or GSDs or Rotties. This does not apply to the major CC or C&CC clubs. We have found a number of other sites do not permit them, often the holiday type parks that accept tourers.
We have a heinz 57 rescue from Ireland. He hardly moults other than one big one a year. He is a strong healthy dog with a wonderful temperament and a real personality. If you can rescue, please consider doing so. There are breed rescues out there and most rescue centres have puppies from time to time.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
WESTIE!

We've been motorhoming for several years but only this spring bought our first dog - a West Highland White (or Scruffy as he usually is) Terrier. A main consideration was that we had to avoid moulting dogs (an old allergy which thankfully seems to be ok) and Mrs L always wanted one so once we had fully retired we took the plunge.

He loves going away in the van - usually keeps trying to get in it when parked at home - and he's big enough to be a "proper" dog (sorry all you miniature or toy owners) without being overwhelmed. But a word of warning to the OP if it's your first dog - your life will be completely and utterly changed. All your plans need to be made round the pooch and he/she will be in constant want of attention. But it's all worth it, believe me, when he's curled up on your feet, dozing after a day of fun and frolics (like he is now!).

We chose to take on a new puppy - more work I know but at least we knew his background. That's not to say, however, that a rescue dog should be discounted and a Heinz57 should be just as faithful, if not more. Personally, I'd avoid "designer" breeds but that's down to choice.

BUT ALWAYS REMEMBER - A DOG IS FOR LIFE. A turkey is for Christmas!

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We love the staffies and all breeds. Just be aware that some campsites do not permit staffie types or GSDs or Rotties. This does not apply to the major CC or C&CC clubs. We have found a number of other sites do not permit them, often the holiday type parks that accept tourers.
We have a heinz 57 rescue from Ireland. He hardly moults other than one big one a year. He is a strong healthy dog with a wonderful temperament and a real personality. If you can rescue, please consider doing so. There are breed rescues out there and most rescue centres have puppies from time to time.

We're planning on getting a new puppy in the spring, and haven't quite decided on which breed, yet. We're veering towards another Dallie. We love them, and they're fantastic characters, but a smaller dog may be more practical.
I'd like a Staffie, but I'm a bit concerned about how they might be accepted on French campsites. Does anyone know whether they classed as one of the dangerous breeds in France?
Does anyone have experience of travelling with a Staffie on the Continent? If so, have they encountered any problems?
Thanks
Chris

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I can not offer any advice as I do not have a dog :( however after seeing so many people with 'Staffies' I was pleasantly surprised to find out this.....

Temperament[edit]
Although individual differences in personality exist, common traits exist throughout the Staffords. Due to its breeding, and history, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier is known for its character of fearlessness and loyalty.[10] This, coupled with its affection for its friends, its off-duty quietness and trustworthy stability, make it a foremost all-purpose dog.[11]

The breed is naturally muscular and may appear intimidating; however, because of their natural fondness for people, most Staffords are temperamentally ill-suited for guard or attack-dog training. Staffordshire Bull Terrier puppies are very easy to house train.[12]

Staffordshire Bull Terriers are friendly, enthusiastic and usually extremely affectionate[13] towards humans. They express their affection through jumping up, nuzzling, licking[14] and pawing, and even when trained can still be 'fussy' with owners and others. Staffordshires are perhaps not suitable pets for those who prefer more reserved dogs. Staffordshires are notably adaptable in terms of changing home or even owners, and unfortunately this can make them easy prey for dognappers.[15]

RSPCA chief vet Mark Evans said: "Staffies have had a terrible press, but this is not of their own making—in fact they're wonderful dogs. If people think that Staffies have problems, they're looking at the wrong end of the dog lead! When well cared for and properly trained they can make brilliant companions. Our experience suggests that problems occur when bad owners exploit the Staffie's desire to please by training them to show aggression."[16]

Daughter Number 1 has one: this post describes it precisely.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have a Border Collie. He doesn't seem to moult too much but he is a bit of a mud magnet. He's a very active dog and collects all manner of debris in his trousers and undercarriage. If we didn't have an external shower I think it would be a problem.

We do love him though!

Ah I wondered who used those external showers.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
@pappajohn Is this your recently acquired Labradoodle? Looks gorgeous
Yeah, 15 months old now....i think she was rescued from Syria, she's a bloody terrorist....nothing is safe if you take your eyes off her.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No

Temperament[edit]

We very nearly got a Staffie, I absolutely adore the breed, they are so friendly and soft that almost anyone could train them. They do not tend to bond to one leader, making them excellent family members.

If you are a statistician, the most dangerous breed, by that I mean the breed that has caused more hospital visits requiring treatment is.....

You can guess but you are all wrong....

It's the Labrador!

In fact, you you ever watch the dog whisperer, his most dangerous 'red zone' case was a Labrador, search on you tube, Cesar himself needed to visit the emergency room after dealing with it!

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Does anyone have experience of travelling with a Staffie on the Continent? If so, have they encountered any problems?
Thanks
Chris

Only the one trip, Belgium, France, Holland, Germany. No problems at all, although of course I didn't stop at every campsite.

Only been refused the once and that was in the UK, can't remember the name now, Kent area.

Brian

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for that, Brian.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Another vote here for mini schnauzer, I've got two,love them to bits and a cavachon ,schnauzer is a much easier breed ,both do not moult ,,if you want a big dog that does not moult try the giant schnauzer or Russian terrier

MyDogsTooBig

Free Member
Nov 19, 2015
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Inbetween
Exp
Since 2010
Well, My Dogs Too Big. But all those tiny ones just seem to yap and yap even more, but are a handy size for luggage. Big dogs tend to be quieter (not always I know), but crikey, where to you stuff the ruddy thing. If you want one that does not shed fur (don't we all), try shaving it and put a tea cosy on it. Ha. It's all personal choice isn't it. Like kids really, everybody loves theirs, but everybody else wants to wring their necks at times. For me, it is temperament and personality, but hey, you can choose that with a dog, unless you get a duffer like mine.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
For those with dogs that happily travel in your motorhome abroad and everywhere what type or breed would you recommend?
I would prefer a dog that doesn't moult to much and not to big. Likewise l don't want a little pooch either....what would you recommend?
Have you thought about a Greyhound ?
They generally don't moult, very laid back, rarely bark, need little exercise but are very loving.
Despite seeming quite big, they strangely don't take up much space - and spend much of their time sleeping :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back