what dog ? (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Had our Cindy ( in the avatar left ) put down about 3 months ago due to a tumour on the liver and miss her badly... (but NOT the fur ).
We won't get another until our motor homing is over... A LONG time yet we hope !!
Mitch and Jenny.
PS. Must change the avatar.

PSS. I wish was half the person my dog thought I was !!!

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi this one is perfect!! will fill a pillow in 1 month and a Duvay in 6 months.
White,Bright and as daft as his owners.
IMG_1562.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
There are plenty of crossbreed dogs in a rescue centre, which not only make excellent companions but you are also giving a dog a life instead of paying £££'s to a breeder for a designer dog that, at the end of the day, is actually a mongrel.

Gets hard hat and waits for incoming......

Hi. I do agree with you to some extent. I got a cockapoo as the people on the pitch next to us had one and she was absolutely gorgeous and affectionate. I had zero experience of dogs as we always had cats so I didn't feel experienced enough to deal with a rescue dog with potential problems and no understanding of dog behaviour.
We have made lots of mistakes with Lucy and she is spoilt rotten, but lovely, my husband is retired but I have another 3 years to go, when I retire I will definitely look for a rescue dog because now I feel I understand dog behaviour much more.

Deleted User
Hi. I do agree with you to some extent. I got a cockapoo as the people on the pitch next to us had one and she was absolutely gorgeous and affectionate. I had zero experience of dogs as we always had cats so I didn't feel experienced enough to deal with a rescue dog with potential problems and no understanding of dog behaviour.
We have made lots of mistakes with Lucy and she is spoilt rotten, but lovely, my husband is retired but I have another 3 years to go, when I retire I will definitely look for a rescue dog because now I feel I understand dog behaviour much more.
Yep rescue dogs can be so rewarding, said once ours are gone wouldn't get anymore, but I'm sure we will. When my rescue Millie died we tried to get another dog from RSPCA and Dogs Trust, both said no because we lived in an apartment with no direct access to a garden, they were both apologetic about it, especially as any dogs then went to work and we also had a balcony. But nope, so I got Indi. A few years later when we got Boston didn't try the rescue places as in same position, but having had her 4 years with all her problems, brain damage and epilepsy feel a little better as I'm sure had we not taken the runt of the litter she would probably not still be alive. :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
No problems there at all. A rescue dog isn't for everyone anyway; Mrs Deluxe does rehoming for the local rescue place so you can imagine that we see all sorts - some with issues. A good rescue place will always be honest about the dog and do their best to understand the needs of the new owner, the last thing that anyone wants (dog, owner or rescue) is for a dog to return. Jake, our cocker, had been handed on three times and is a bit needy as a result.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
I will take the liberty of posting a pic of @Cat53 pair of ruffians..:)

would like a pair of these..anyone? its nigh on Christmas? :D

while remembering a dog is not just for Christmas:coffee:

View attachment 83259
Depends how big it is. A Korean chum says they always get one that'll last for Boxing Day too.:D

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Have you considered a Bedlington Terrier? They are around 16 inches tall, weigh about 10 kilos and do not moult at all. How do I know? I have one, she is now six years old and we have just come back from six weeks in France with her. She is very happy in the van, in fact when we got home and were emptying the van she was crying to get back in. There is a Bedlington rescue.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Dillon, our working cocker, does not moult at all.
Wonderful temperament, bright as a silver sixpence, travels amazingly well and will never get too big
I fought agin womans want of another dog for 8 years ..
Glad I gave in now !

Dillon in guard dog mode....

View attachment 83277

Sod the dashcam, John!
How did you train Dillon to retrieve blonde women?;)
Any chance of same for our dog?(y):giggle:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sod the dashcam, John!
How did you train Dillon to retrieve blonde women?;)
Any chance of same for our dog?(y):giggle:

I am afraid it is a long term program mate.. You have to breed them your self ( That is number two daughter ! )

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Another vote for the Staffie, this is mine at about four months in an Auto Sleeper Symbol. Great traveller and not a hair in sight.

Somebody said when I bought him"you don't own a Staffie, you wear one", they were right, totally faithful.

Blue%20in%20van_zpsait2zpgl.jpg

Brian

Spots

Free Member
May 8, 2015
Reading
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgard
Exp
I'm a newbie
A Labradoodle. Ours is 14 years old now, irreplaceable and inconsolable when the time comes.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you don't want moulting, you don't want a Lab. Our beloved Lab passed away almost 5 months ago, and we are still hovering up her hair!
You might want to consider a Labradoodle though, no moulting, and similar temperament!

We have a Labrador that barely moults and a small Labradoodle that never moults, but needs clipping every few months. Both rescues (y)View attachment 83307

A Labradoodle. Ours is 14 years old now, irreplaceable and inconsolable when the time comes.

You three are the luckiest doodle owners ever.
Take a look at the labradoodle trust website.

http://www.doodletrust.com

Doodles moult, some more than others but in the majority, they moult heavily.

Originally breed by an australian as an allergy free (non moulting) dog it didnt work.
Even the original breeder said he had produced a monster.

From the website.

• Doodles are an intelligent but challenging type of dog. They vary greatly in size and coat type and it is a common misconception that they do not shed their fur. Many of them DO moult and they are NOT an ideal breed for allergy sufferers.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
@pappajohn I bow to your knowledge :D
Since I was a little boy we have had Labradors, so when we got our first dog, obviously it was a Lab. When she sadly passed, we felt it was too painful to get another, so we changed breed, and got a Bernese. Chatting to my mother, she said "What do they moult like" and I answered, "they shed twice a year, and a little in between, but nothing like a Labrador".
She smiled and said "Nothing moults like a Labrador!" :D

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
I think we're more lucky having a Labrador that hardly moults. Very rare I believe!

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
My lovely girl in the avatar went to the bridge a week ago, I hardly have to hoover now but I would happily hoover if I could see that face every night. We now are left with an labrador/springer and a newish to us Border Terrier as our old Border also went to bridge in July.
20151107_161750.jpg
East Lothian-20150714-00790.jpg

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
For those with dogs that happily travel in your motorhome abroad and everywhere what type or breed would you recommend?
I would prefer a dog that doesn't moult to much and not to big. Likewise l don't want a little pooch either....what would you recommend?

Wire haired fox terrier...BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back