what dog wormer to use for france,spain & portugal (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
Hi :hi:going to France, Spain & Portugal in Sept . for the first time. Can anyone tell me what is the right wormer to use, I use Drontal at home but don't know if this will be ok abroad. I know you have to go to the vets for a wormer before coming back into the UK. any help would be appreciated from all you know it all Funsters , that are always back and forth across the channel .:cheers: Mew & Mick

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
Hi we take drontal with us & the vets in France allow you to use it providing they watch you give it to your dog happy travels Rod

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We never take our own tablets with us. You have to go to a vet anyway so we just let them provide it. Last time cost was €21 per dog including the tablet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MicknMew
Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
Hi, yes I was just going to go to the vet and let them do it for coming back, it was for leaving the UK into France is what I'm not sure of.

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
th us. You have to go to a vet anyway so we just let them provide it. Last time cost was €21 per dog including the tablet.[/QUOTE]
Hi our friend took bith there dogs & used the vets treatment & they were both il maybe a coincidance

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hi, yes I was just going to go to the vet and let them do it for coming back, it was for leaving the UK into France is what I'm not sure of.

Leaving the UK into France, and crossing any other EU border, you don't have to do anything. There are no checks at all.
The checks coming back into the UK are not a requirement of the Pet Passport scheme either. It was something DEFRA insisted on tacking onto it when it was set up. I've never heard a plausible reason why.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
th us. You have to go to a vet anyway so we just let them provide it. Last time cost was €21 per dog including the tablet.
Hi our friend took bith there dogs & used the vets treatment & they were both il maybe a coincidance[/QUOTE]

I'd say coincidence. Ours have been to various French vets with no issues.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Ours seem to like Millbimax better as it seems to usually be a chewable sweet rather than a tablet which they hate. I did ask our vet about getting them here which you can do but his advice is that if you're travelling 3 or 4 times a year, which we do, don't bother giving them anything here as the treatment is France will cover them and all you're doing is doubling up on the dose which isn't good.

Deleted User
We worm ours every 3 months with Milbermax in Uk and have taken them away with us and also got been able to get them in Spain, unless you have to use a specific type for allergies etc, easy to just go with which ever brand the vet you choose holds.
We sometimes don't make a three month gap as your return dose can't be changed, if no longer than 3 weeks we risk extending to fit with passport. If its going to take them more than 3 weeks over usual 3 month dose and then we dose as normal and redosed with vet as well dogs never suffered ill effects having more the one dose in three months.

Lin :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We worm ours every 3 months with Milbermax in Uk and have taken them away with us and also got been able to get them in Spain, unless you have to use a specific type for allergies etc, easy to just go with which ever brand the vet you choose holds.
We sometimes don't make a three month gap as your return dose can't be changed, if no longer than 3 weeks we risk extending to fit with passport. If its going to take them more than 3 weeks over usual 3 month dose and then we dose as normal and redosed with vet as well dogs never suffered ill effects having more the one dose in three months.

Lin :)

Ours have never had any ill effects either but the vet told me not to bother dosing them here. He reckons the 3 months isn't all that critical - if it's out by a few weeks to fit in with travel plans don't worry about it. I've no reason to doubt him as he's doing himself out of a sale by telling me that. I can always go and just get one dose if I need to rather than the years supply that I usually get.
The other thing he told me which I didn't know is that one of the ingredients of Millbemax is the same as one of the ingredients of Advocate and it really shouldn't be doubled up so if you use Advocate don't use it within 2 weeks of them having Millbemax.

OP
OP
MicknMew
Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
Hi :hi: and Morning to all you helpful fun club lot, thanks a lot for all your help (y).got it all sorted now :dance:the countdown is on ,Only 3 weeks 4 days left till we leave on our trip,:clap2: getting dead excited, hoping to bump into some of you funsters on our travels :cheers: and thanks again for the help. Mew & Mick

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I am confused.
I use advocate monthly on a 2kg chihuahua.
Went to vet for worming tabs, they have said to use milbemax monthly when abroad, and every 3 months while in uk,
For worming as advocate does not cover tapeworm.
Vectra for fleas, ticks sandflies also monthly when in uk and abroad, and stop the advocate as doubling up on some of the medication.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I am confused.
I use advocate monthly on a 2kg chihuahua.
Went to vet for worming tabs, they have said to use milbemax monthly when abroad, and every 3 months while in uk,
For worming as advocate does not cover tapeworm.
Vectra for fleas, ticks sandflies also monthly when in uk and abroad, and stop the advocate as doubling up on some of the medication.

Advocate is an all in one flea and worming treatment. It just doesn't protect against tapeworm. If your dog is never lose in places like fields where they are likely to find and investigate dead animals tapeworm treatment isn't really necessary. It's your call.
Any tapeworm treatment monthly is something I've never heard of before and sounds wrong. Unless Chihuahuas are different to every other breed I would be challenging the vet on that.
The tapeworm treatment, be it Droncet, Millbemax or anything else, only needs to be every 3 months or so in total. So if you are travelling abroad and back 3 or 4 times a year the treatments they get for that will be more than adequate.
Forget the Vectra completely. It's replicating what the Advocate does.
Don't be talked into dropping the Advocate either - it protects against Lungworm where the
others don't. Your vet probably will try and get you to drop it as it's cheaper than any other possible way of covering everything that it does.

If it was me I would probably be looking for another vet.

Apr 21, 2015
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
hi there, you just need the same stuff as you use here, you have to go the vets 5 days before you sail back, and as long as your pet passport is up to date, that will be fine, [ no passport, no sailing ] hope this helps,

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
I think above all make sure your dog is covered for sandflies as much as possible as this can be deadly as our vet can testify lets hope you & your pets all travel safely happy travels Rod

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I didn't think the advocate covers ticks fleas or sandflies?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
20150825_101255.jpg

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I didn't think the advocate covers ticks fleas or sandflies?

Advocate is a flea treatment and as far as I know is effective against ticks. no idea about sand flies. Personally, with my dogs and where I live, Lungworm is more of a concern.

Don't know what the charts are in your pictures but as they, especially the second one, seem to suggest that there is only one product to use then I would be inclined to dismiss them as marketing material from the producers of that product. To suggest that Vectra is the only effective flea treatment available is quite frankly nonsense.

I'll be sticking with my vet's advice.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
So pleased this topic has come up. I posted in the pets section a week ago on this issue but no response as it was on the end of an old post.
Our dog cannot tolerate drontal or milbemax. He is violently sick within a minute of swallowing them.
This is when hidden and not hidden in food. He clearly has a problem with their one common ingredient prazinquantel.
Unfortunately the praxinquantel is the key ingredient that must be in the wormer used before re-entering the uk.
We are looking at trying the injection in case he just has a weak stomach. He can tolerate the spot on wormers and oral panacur but that doesnt treat tapeworm.
Will not take him away til issue is solved.
Was wondering if anyone else has the same problem with their dog? Or is ours a very unusual case? Drontal is well known for causing sickness in dogs but not so the milbemax.

Scrappie

Free Member
Aug 6, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
It's a learning curve
We lived in France and up until last year, all the vets we took our dogs to gave the wormer via injection. I only asked if it could be given in tablet form to our smallest dog because we travelled back often and it was less traumatic than the needle. Sounds pathetic I know, but he is so cute an liddle an didn't like nasty horrible needles........sorry, forgot myself there for a mo. - seriously, the needle was a bit too much as he is rather small. No after effects either way.
You may be better trying the injection. We have two other dogs who don't seem to care, although one is hyper and the other a bonehead, which may swing it a little.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
The charts were a booklet that the vet had, that they suggested I photographed.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The charts were a booklet that the vet had, that they suggested I photographed.

I think a very large pinch of salt is needed, especially as at least one of the other things your vet has told you is wrong.

As I posted before the charts seem to suggest that unless you use the one product your dog isn't going to be protected properly which is obviously utter nonsense. I think your vet is trying to get you to spend extra money unnecessarily and more than that trying to get you to give your dog treatments that it doesn't need which is far worse.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We didn't take worming tabs with us, found a vet in St Omer, young and Belgium, he administered the tablet signed the passport all for about £3.00!

OP
OP
MicknMew
Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
Well thought I had it sorted :confused: but after reading some of the above I think I'm back to square one:( if someone can tell me what the best one is for worms, fleas and ticks,( I was thinking Milbemax but never used it before), I would be a very happy funster. as for the sandflies , you can use a scalibor collar, but that states not to be used in conjunction with products containing organophosphate, I can't find this in any of the wormers but maybe I've missed it , so if any funsters know any different could you let me know. I'm sitting hear pulling my hair out now because I don't know what to do for the best,:unsure: bet you lot think I'm a right numpty (n) Any info please :clap: . Mew

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Well thought I had it sorted :confused: but after reading some of the above I think I'm back to square one:( if someone can tell me what the best one is for worms, fleas and ticks,( I was thinking Milbemax but never used it before), I would be a very happy funster. as for the sandflies , you can use a scalibor collar, but that states not to be used in conjunction with products containing organophosphate, I can't find this in any of the wormers but maybe I've missed it , so if any funsters know any different could you let me know. I'm sitting hear pulling my hair out now because I don't know what to do for the best,:unsure: bet you lot think I'm a right numpty (n) Any info please :clap: . Mew

If I were you I would be talking to a vet that I trusted for their opinion. You're going to need to anyway because you will need a prescription for whatever you choose even if you're buying it online.

All people on here can do is tell you what they do which is hopefully based on advice from their vet.

My dogs both work and so are in and out of all sorts of ground and water and investigating more or less everything including any dead animals the happen to find. They also love the beach at any opportunity. The advice from my vet is to use Advocate monthly and a seperate tapewormer (Droncit in tablet form every 3 months.) He says nothing else is required and I have no reason to doubt that. The last time I saw him, about a month ago we got to talking about travelling and visiting a vet before travelling back. He said then that if we are travelling every 3 or 4 months then don't bother with the Droncit here because they will be perfectly well covered by the Pet Passport treatments. Again this is a vet advising me to spend less money with him so no reason to doubt him and as far as I'm concerned the less drugs and chemicals I put into my dogs the better.

I'm sure I would get different advice from a different vet but if this advice was to be doubling or tripling up on treatments or increase the frequency of the treatments I would be challenging him to justify exactly why he was recommending this and I would probably run it past a different vet for an opinion. I'm afraid I would take a lot of convincing that they aren't just trying to sell additional (unnecessary) products.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We were ripped off in Honfleur by the vet near the aire..

we were charged two consultations plus an extra 15E for a worming injection for our JRT who won't take tablets..

108.61 Euro for two small dogs.. so shop around or get stung :mad:

Santona
10 rue des Vases
14600 Honfleur

Google Map

img001.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MicknMew
Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
Thanks for the info NickNic sounds good (y) :cheers: Mew.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back