What does your V5C say (1 Viewer)

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
When we bought our MH last April we had a few problems with DVLA

The dealer sent the logbook off but after 4 or 5 weeks and no sign we rang the DVLA to query it. They said they had no record of it and we needed to send off a V62? with covering letter and apply for it again, no charge.

Did that and after another few weeks got a call from a local business that luckily I know saying he had my logbook. DVLA had somehow registered it to his address, on a different street with different postcode!. WTF! Another phone call to DVLA, send it of yet again with covering letter

Comes back correct this time, except when I sent it off I put the Make, model and that it was an AutoCruise Stardream etc.
DVLA just put it down as a white Peugeot.. but is classed as a MH at least.

Wondering if others actually have their proper vehicle details on the V5C or if thats the norm?
If it ever went missing the insurance only have my word as to what it actually is if the logbook just says Peugeot.

Then 4-6 months later got another letter from DLVA saying they can't process my application for a V5C as the details had changed.
Thinking someone may be trying to register my MH rang em, turns out the original application the dealer sent off had turned up but as I changed the address to my business one the 2nd time it flagged up.

The place is run by a bunch of muppets

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Comes back correct this time, except when I sent it off I put the Make, model and that it was an AutoCruise Stardream etc.
If it's a standard CB that is normal, usually registered as Fiat, Peugeot etc., with an A Class you can get away with putting the manufacturer e.g. Hymer and they accept it.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
"The place is run by a bunch of muppets"

Many of us have known for a long time that they mostly are.

I thing the problem stems from the fact that the main function is for tax collection and therefore the staff are not selected for, nor trained, on their knowledge of vehicles, unlike DVSA staff who need to be technical.

Geoff

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
"The place is run by a bunch of muppets"

Many of us have known for a long time that they mostly are.

I thing the problem stems from the fact that the main function is for tax collection and therefore the staff are not selected for, nor trained, on their knowledge of vehicles, unlike DVSA staff who need to be technical.

Geoff
When did that malicious rumour start circulating :doh:

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Mine has a mixture of both....

D1. Make = Peugeot
D3. Model = Auto-Sleepers Kingham
D5. Type = Motor Caravan
Tax Class = Private HGV

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Don't believe it! ?. Recently upgraded the van from 3500 to 3700. Sent off all the paperwork on 24 January duly completed with a covering letter to say that I wanted the MPM altered to reflect the new changes to the Revenue Weight & taxation class. Got it back this morning so not bad time-wise! However...…… Revenue weight now 3700 as requested, taxation class now PHGV, BUT...….... MPM STILL at 3500. Anybody have any ideas what to do next? If I get stopped in France/Spain, etc., & the local plod looks at V5, decides to weigh the van & it's over 3500 but under 3700, would I not be deemed to be overweight? Any thoughts Oh Wise Ones? Thanks,
Chris

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Send it all back again with a cover letter in words of one syllable.
Draw pictures as well.... They'll understand the pretty pictures.

Seriously, you need to send it back explaining very clearly what is wrong.

May 10, 2019
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E-Line
Had the same problem as Chris. They amended it when I returned it the second time without quibble (still took a month though).

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Mine has a mixture of both....

D1. Make = Peugeot
D3. Model = Auto-Sleepers Kingham
D5. Type = Motor Caravan
Tax Class = Private HGV

Whereas mine says
D1 Make = Fiat
D3 Model = Lunar Roadstar
D5 Type = Motor caravan
Tax Class = Disabled

Just retaxed for the next year so thoroughly enjoyed it coming back as taxed Disabled

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't believe it! ?. Recently upgraded the van from 3500 to 3700. Sent off all the paperwork on 24 January duly completed with a covering letter to say that I wanted the MPM altered to reflect the new changes to the Revenue Weight & taxation class. Got it back this morning so not bad time-wise! However...…… Revenue weight now 3700 as requested, taxation class now PHGV, BUT...….... MPM STILL at 3500. Anybody have any ideas what to do next? If I get stopped in France/Spain, etc., & the local plod looks at V5, decides to weigh the van & it's over 3500 but under 3700, would I not be deemed to be overweight? Any thoughts Oh Wise Ones? Thanks,
Chris
On my last van it took over 4 months to get that right.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our new Carthago says:

D1 Make = Fiat​
D3 Model = Ducato​
D5 Type = Motor caravan​
Tax Class = Private HGV​

Oh and Lenny HB I think you previously asked if they'd got the weights right, they did ... it also says:

Revenue weight = 3850kg​
Max Permissible Mass = 3850kg​

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Should i be concerned?? just checked mine .../

Revenue Weight 3650kg
Max Permissible Mass = " Blank"

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Revenue Weight 3650kg
Nope, it's fairly common for the MPM figure to be missing, so long as the Revenue Weight is on it's 'legal', but if you want the MPM figure too you'll need to write and ask for it to be entered ... then cross everything you have in the hope that they get it right! :giggle:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Revenue Weight 3650kg

Same as mine.

I do not think it matters as long as the plated MPM weight is correct, which is certainly what DVSA would go by and I hope foreign authorities.

But the fact that they only record 'Revenue Weight' just emphasises my comment previously in this thread that they are a tax collecting organisation, but not equipped on the technical side.

Geoff

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
When we bought our MH last April we had a few problems with DVLA

The dealer sent the logbook off but after 4 or 5 weeks and no sign we rang the DVLA to query it. They said they had no record of it and we needed to send off a V62? with covering letter and apply for it again, no charge.

Did that and after another few weeks got a call from a local business that luckily I know saying he had my logbook. DVLA had somehow registered it to his address, on a different street with different postcode!. WTF! Another phone call to DVLA, send it of yet again with covering letter

Wondering if others actually have their proper vehicle details on the V5C or if thats the norm?
If it ever went missing the insurance only have my word as to what it actually is if the logbook just says Peugeot.

Then 4-6 months later got another letter from DLVA saying they can't process my application for a V5C as the details had changed.
Thinking someone may be trying to register my MH rang em, turns out the original application the dealer sent off had turned up but as I changed the address to my business one the 2nd time it flagged up.

The place is run by a bunch of muppets
A bit like the ford dealership I’m at now then , waiting to collect a car for a dealer transfer

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Oh and my V5c says PHGV and mam 4250 . I think. I’ll have a look when I get home later to check. Thanks to OP for highlighting this and I wish you luck getting sorted

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Just looked and it’s good news , revenue weight 4250 , Max permissible mass 4250. Even has Mass in service at 3425 which I guess is not necessarily the same as MIRO as quoted by the converters ?
Also spotted an interesting bit which says Max Permissible Mass ( exc m/c ) 4250 . Anybody shine a light on that gem ?

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Oh, it also says
Make -Fiat
Model - Autotrail Apache 700
Body Type - Motor Caravan
So that’s all bases covered ?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I've posted elsewhere about when, after buying our van we saw it said 'Trigano' on the Tax Disc.
In the course of correcting the mistake (made by Buffoonhills when they first registered it) i found out that DVLA has a code for the vast majority of vehicle manufacturers. They did NOT have a code for Hobby and so we, that's me and Blodwyn in Swansea that it would be registered as a Fiat.
I would imagine the same would apply to many motorhome manufacturers who source their chassis' from the likes of Fiat, Peugeot and Mercedes.

OP
OP
Nixdorfer
Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Just checked ours again after some of the issues others are having

Not much on it

D1: Peugeot
D5: Motor Caravan
Tax Class: PLG
Then the usual fuel, chassis, engine no, colour

No weights anywhere, does that only get filled in if going over 3500kg?

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
D1 Make = Fiat
D3 Model = Ducato
D5 Type = Motor caravan