What does this pipe do? (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I can assure you that every pipe has (at least) two ends, so it will be somewhere.
Try pushing something flexible along it, like a curtain wire along it. You might hear the distant end as it rattles inside and should determine how far away the next restriction (junction) is.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have another theory ... judging by the mess of silicone/sealant in the area I wonder if there's been a DIY mod done utilising the original gas drop vent which was then blocked up, so they've installed this as an alternative vent rather than make another one?

OP
OP
Evildoody

Evildoody

Free Member
Jul 6, 2017
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar Living GTL
Exp
Super Geek
I have another theory ... judging by the mess of silicone/sealant in the area I wonder if there's been a DIY mod done utilising the original gas drop vent which was then blocked up, so they've installed this as an alternative vent rather than make another one?

Nah, that was me :). I had a couple of mice in the van that were nesting in that hole (only there a max of a week as I am in the van at least once a week) and I got rid of them (3 in total) and I filled the hole in with expanding foam.

Anyway, I was away in the van last night and what has now transpired is that the Webasto heating is on the blink (not good as it was bloody freezing), comes on works fine from anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 hr before throwing up an F10 (Overheating) error code

Now this MAY be a coincidence, but the pipe I posted in the first post and this happening may be related!

Prior to this issue I put a snake camera in the hole and could see mouse droppings and hoovered it all out (as best I could in the tight space), I could not see any pipe end in the hole (not to say I didn't miss it) and then I filled the hole with expanding foam (if it makes you feel better take a look at my avatar - lol).

I have been under the van and I can determine that (C) is taking in outside air, (D) is expelling exhaust air and (B) is expelling hot air to all internal vents.

Webasto.jpg

I am now wondering if the large (non shielded pipe) coming from (A) which appears to lead somewhere behind the left handside passenger rear wheel arch was in fact ducted across to the right rear wheel arch (where the pipe in the first pic of this thread starts) and where I have blocked the hole and may have inadvertanly blocked the cool air intake to (A)!

I will figure it out at the weekend, I will remove the fresh air intake pipe (A) from the Webasto and run the heater for a while and see if I still get an error code, if not I know the answer!.
If I do then it may possibly be a temperature sensor fault. I will also take the bathroom unit to bits to find where the other end of the pipe goes.

I am starting to feel like Alice in Wonderland!

PS. I am pretty sure the mice got in around the water tank dump valve, I removed the water tank to fix a leak in the tank a few weeks back but after I replaced it I did not seal around the pipe outlet under the van (a job for an other day!). Sealed it now though - lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Oops ... sorry about calling it a mess ... :D2

OP
OP
Evildoody

Evildoody

Free Member
Jul 6, 2017
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar Living GTL
Exp
Super Geek
Oh well, I removed the fresh air intake pipe (A) and ran the heater for over an hour without issue, reconnected the intake pipe and this time the heating worked for roughly fifeteen minutes before throwing up the F 10 error code. I looked up the intake pipe with the snake camera, the pipe is only about 30CM long and terminates under the fresh water tank (at least nothing I did the previous week caused this :)). There are definitely no blockages.
I am thinking this may be a fault with the overheat temperature sensor that has gone out of tolerance, the air intake temperature was -2 degrees celsius when the intake pipe was disconnected and 12 degrees when the pipe was connected (MH internal temperature at floor level near the water tank). Do you think the temperature sensor is the issue?

I just had another thought, there is a hot air duct pipe that runs under the water tank to the cab area and the pipe passes directly in front of the air intake vent (that connects to A on the Webasto) if this has moved slightly then the Webasto will be taking in warmer and warmer air as the system heats up?, I may be clutching at straws with this though as that pipe has very little room to move (kind of a bad implementation in my opionin)

Or should I just buy one of those 5KW Chinese diesel heater for £140 and replace the whole system, only £100 more than a sensor!!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Oh well, I removed the fresh air intake pipe (A) and ran the heater for over an hour without issue, reconnected the intake pipe and this time the heating worked for roughly fifeteen minutes before throwing up the F 10 error code. I looked up the intake pipe with the snake camera, the pipe is only about 30CM long and terminates under the fresh water tank (at least nothing I did the previous week caused this :)). There are definitely no blockages.
That's good to know. (y)

I am thinking this may be a fault with the overheat temperature sensor that has gone out of tolerance, the air intake temperature was -2 degrees celsius when the intake pipe was disconnected and 12 degrees when the pipe was connected (MH internal temperature at floor level near the water tank). Do you think the temperature sensor is the issue?
How long does it run for without the pipe on?

I just had another thought, there is a hot air duct pipe that runs under the water tank to the cab area and the pipe passes directly in front of the air intake vent (that connects to A on the Webasto) if this has moved slightly then the Webasto will be taking in warmer and warmer air as the system heats up?, I may be clutching at straws with this though as that pipe has very little room to move (kind of a bad implementation in my opionin)
That sounds like a likely cause, if its drawing in hot air too quickly it might think there's something wrong, hence the shut down and fault code.

Or should I just buy one of those 5KW Chinese diesel heater for £140 and replace the whole system, only £100 more than a sensor!!!
Try running it without the intake pipe on and see what happens, if it doesn't shut down you have then found that your 'thought' was right and you can see if you can re-route either the heating pipe or the intake one, or insulate the heating pipe so it can't interfere with the air taken in.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Not following?
Such a long story I thought it could be standard reading for motor home fitters and Id each pipe end for easier maintenence .
Anyway good luck with your pipe end search.;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Have you had a play with your pipe yet? :)

OP
OP
Evildoody

Evildoody

Free Member
Jul 6, 2017
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar Living GTL
Exp
Super Geek
Have you had a play with your pipe yet? :)

:whistle:

Not had a chance yet, been looking at the Webasto :-

20190209_133835.jpg 20190209_133840.jpg 20190209_134057.jpg 20190209_134107.jpg IMG-20190209-WA0000.jpeg IMG-20190209-WA0002.jpeg IMG-20190209-WA0004.jpeg IMG-20190209-WA0006.jpeg IMG-20190209-WA0008.jpeg 20190209_110803.jpg 20190209_115423.jpg 20190209_115436.jpg 20190209_120615.jpg 20190209_121040.jpg 20190209_132317.jpg 20190209_133222.jpg

Took it off the van today, I thought seeing as I am this far I might as well crack it open and see if it is sooted up (still WIP).

Yes, I ended up cutting the wires as removing the entire wiring harness would of been a right PITA, will solder them and shrink wrap them when I put it all back together.

Still going to cost a small fortune to repair, need a new gasket set, over temp sensor, new exhaust pipe (old one was leaking and falling to bits), combustion air intake pipe needs replacing too.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
It’s conduit for the two blue cables!

But they have escaped!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun