What does the display 'PV 34 KWhs' mean? (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings all,

Not the last in an ever growing list of questions.

We have an Epever MPPT Controller and, when I press it's buttons
one of the displays is "PV 34 KWh"

In simple Layman's terms, (For that read, Thick) what does that display mean?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
PV = Photo Voltaic a posh word for solar panel... Actually it distinguishes it from a hot water solar panel ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Like Two on Tour says, it’s the total harvest of PV power since last reset.
Some controllers do not reset the counter, just carry on.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Watts and kilowatts are units of power.
Watt-hours and kilowatt-hours are units of energy
Power is how fast the energy is used/generated.
In motorhomes where the battery voltage is usually 12V, energy is alternatively measured in amp-hours instead of watt-hours or kilowatt-hours. To convert watt-hours to amp-hours at 12v, divide by 12.

For example 34 kWh is 34000 Wh, and that is 34000/12 = 2833 Ah.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
With one observation if I may:
Energy is the same everywhere. Being at 12,24, 48 or 230v. The amps and amp hour, are meaningless without the voltage.
The reason people quote ah instead wh, is because that’s what they gear measures, and maybe habit. If your battery is at 14v charging and you draw 5a, that’s a 70w draw. If your battery is at 12.5v in the morning, for the same 5a draw, you actually drawing only only 62,5w. To draw the same 70w at 12,5v you will need 5,6a. Over a period of time this becomes very inaccurate. Hence the wh is more accurate rather than amp hour. Most of professional gear with shunt that does a coulomb count, has the ability to measure the energy very accurate to the las watt, by monitoring the volt and amp at the same time.
Batteries are measured in wh as well, due to peukert effect, your capacity is variable with the discharge rate. It is not fixed. A 100ah battery at 20 hour rate, is only a 100 only if discharged on a constant 5a continuously to the end. If your load is variable, so your battery capacity is.
You will notice most of Lithium’s are quoted in Wh capacity, because the peukert effect is almost non existent. That makes them very efficient, 95-98% round trip efficiency, compared to 75% on Pb.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Energy is the same everywhere. Being at 12,24, 48 or 230v. The amps and amp hour, are meaningless without the voltage.
Yes that's right. Technically, the 'amp-hour' is a unit of electric charge. You need both the amp-hours and the volts to work out the energy supplied. Volts is a measure of how much energy is carried by a single unit of charge.

For example, 12 volts means each amp-hour of charge at 12V carries 12 watt-hours.

Mains electricity carries 20 times more energy for each unit of charge. Each amp-hour of mains electricity carries 240 watt-hours.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Update on my PV 34 Kwh.

I managed to reset the display (Hold Button for 5secs etc)

I now have in that place a readout of, at first 0.1Kwh and, as of last night, 0.2 Kwh.
I now now what it means but I can't see me throwing that into a casual conversation any time soon.

Ooh! I just done that??? :whistle2: :whistle2:

Arty fjr

Free Member
Jun 9, 2020
Hernebay kent uk
Funster No
MH
Burstner t615
Exp
New ish be
Greetings all,

Not the last in an ever growing list of questions.

We have an Epever MPPT Controller and, when I press it's buttons
one of the displays is "PV 34 KWh"

In simple Layman's terms, (For that read, Thick) what does that display mean?

I have this system to fit in / on my moho i belive it means kilo what hours and refers to eigther haw much power it has produced since being first started or haw much you have used

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I have this system to fit in / on my moho i belive it means kilo what hours and refers to eigther haw much power it has produced since being first started or haw much you have used

Arty fjr,

Thanks for that.
Thanks to another Funster it has been identified as being the amount of Kilowatt hours the lone solar panel put into the battery since I wired it in about three years ago.

Just for the record, it's over 1 kwh now and thats in less than a fortnight.

I note that you have had your five free posts.
Put hand in pocket and buy yourself membership to the best Motorhome forum on the web (and honest, I haven't been coerced into saying that.) Jim Mines a Bitter thank you. :whistle2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back