What do you use your inverter for? (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
You are confusing W with A. The reason is quoted in W ( more appropriate than A) is because voltage fluctuation. One amp at 13,2v with Li this is most of the time, is 13,2W. With lead at 12,5v which is a full battery under low mild load would be 12,5W. So, for the same amp you see a difference of 0,7W at one amp only. Make that 20a and it’s a massive 14w of power unaccounted for. Run it for few hrs, and the discrepancy grows even more. That’s the reason power is quoted in W not A which is only current. Current without voltage has no meaning when you try to keep track of energy, power over time.
The professional inverters are quoting idle power in W. If that needs to be translated in A dc then the 3w at 12v would be 0,25a or 0,22a at 13,2v.
No not confused I was quoting the article and of course Ohms law applies V/A x R which can be transposed to find the appropriate value ;)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
The problem isn't the inverter it's putting the power back into the batteries afterwards. :) Having said that I don't think you will regret fitting one but you might want to consider fitting a B2B as well. If you shop around and if Sterling are still selling their refurbished ones you could fit both for under £400 at a push. This is what I did - links in the signature block below.
Do you mind me asking what amp you use ? (Which model B2B?).

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
No not confused I was quoting the article and of course Ohms law applies V/A x R which can be transposed to find the appropriate value ;)
The article posted by you was quoting watts. Hence my observation.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
So what do you guys use your inverter for or what 240V things do you use in the van? Or can anyone point me towards a 12v stick blender? :roflmto:
I am a big inverter fan, and much prefer mains powered appliances to 12 VDC ones. My camper came factory fitted with three large domestic TV's which don't run on 12 volt, all synchronised via a HDMI distribution unit with ARC for a centrally controlled surround sound system, again all mains. My wife uses a hairdryer which is a must

Because it is an inverter charger it is rarely off so its really useful for:

WiFi router
charging ebikes
Dyson rechargeable
Dyson mini
Humax box
toaster
Stick blender
Halogen oven

Basically what ever we want to use we can, we are just sensible

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
The article posted by you was quoting watts. Hence my observation.
It’s common that manufactures do this, the point is that an inverter will use energy when not under load and not switched off which is a consideration when installing and using one.

I have been guilty of leaving it switched on in the transporter and whilst the battery was not drained was holding less energy than expected.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
It’s normal, like any electrical device. Radio for example if is on will burn energy despite the volume is on mute. As you turn it up, the power of the speakers adds to the running power of the radio. Same as with the inverter, you turn it on, it takes few watts, you add loads, they add up. Because you don’t have loads does not mead the inverter stays alive with thin air. Even a transformer left plugged in without load ( like chargers) they take take some power to stay energised ready for use.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Our inverter will switch off when it sees no load and assuming it is not on hook up at the same time, quite handy to go out and leaving it charging things up and as soon as the last device is charged it just shuts down, you can override this to continuous if you want to.

And in answer to the OP's question the more battery and recharge capacity you have the more you can and will use on 240v from an inverter, we have air conditioning running on the inverter but wouldn't recommend that as a reason for everyone to fit an inverter.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
funflair, what inverter do you have?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
funflair, what inverter do you have?
We have Buttner MT ICC3000 inverter charger with network compensation for low amp hook ups, It came on the van along with 320ah LiFePO4 and 520watts solar but I am going to add another 160ah of LiFePO4😚

<Broken link removed>

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
The blender will have a motor and will therefore draw a higher starting current than its rated current. For example (to speak in watts), I have a Kenwood mini-blender rated at 300W, and a small inverter rated at 300W, 500W peak. This blender triggers the overload cutout on that inverter. My 500W inverter doesn't complain about even more extended use of the blender.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I use mine for watching telly and charging the vacuum. Where we have the telly there int a plug, so connect invertor and plug telly into 240 volt socket

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
I would also add that if you have only infrequent use of the inverter, it is well worth while switching it off when not in use. While it is true that any appliance with electronics will draw some current even while not in use, my experience is that inverters draw a relatively high current when switched on and not in use. In a motorhome that can be significant.

(Not related to the question but perhaps related to your situation) I would also remark that USB chargers powered from 12V can draw a fair amount, at least when charging.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
It’s normal, like any electrical device. Radio for example if is on will burn energy despite the volume is on mute. As you turn it up, the power of the speakers adds to the running power of the radio. Same as with the inverter, you turn it on, it takes few watts, you add loads, they add up. Because you don’t have loads does not mead the inverter stays alive with thin air. Even a transformer left plugged in without load ( like chargers) they take take some power to stay energised ready for use.
Indeed

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Large full HD smart Samsung TV and Samsung sound bar.
Even with the added cost of the inverter they are still cheaper than any equivalent 12V TV

I have an isolator to to turn it off when its not in use

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Use of invertor 800W MSW issolated when not in use. only for wimins work, hoover charger and washing machine:giggle:

I have yet to find a lady willing to put up with me let alone help with "women's work". 🤔 😆

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Mainly for a 240v fan, uses only about 30 watts, the 12v fans I've tried were hopeless.
My inverter is only rated at 300w, very small but ideal for me.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
The inverter/ charger on our off grid cabin has a loud constant humming---- we never switch it off as we run a big domestic fridge-( and everything you would expect in a house)
This would be very annoying in a motorhome ---' but not a problem for us as it is away from the house-------- the 3000w inverter we had in the motorhome was silent unless the cooling fan was on

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Inverters have two stages of 'off'. Switching off at the inverter switch or remote still leaves a small consumption as neither actually breaks the 12v supply. I have fitted a battery isolation switch to mine so it is completely isolated when the mh is in storage.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
You are confusing W with A.
Yes he is, should be 3W not 3A. However the article contains a table with 5 example inverters, with their no-load amps and watts. Three of the examples have the watts and amps in the wrong column. So no wonder anyone reading that draws the wrong conclusions.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Toaster

800 watts toaster / 12 v = 66.6 amps.

67 amps / 60 = 1.1 amps per minute.

1.1 amps per minute X 5 minutes = 5.5 amps

5.5 amps X 1.25 (efficiency losses) = 6.9 amps
800 watts toaster/ 12V = 66.6 amps.

67 amps = 67 amp-hours per hour.

67 Ah per hour / 60 = 1.1 Ah per minute.

1.1 Ah per minute x 5 minutes = 5.5 Ah

5.5 Ah x 1.25 (efficiency losses) = 6.9 Ah

Amp-hours is a quantity of charge, Amps is a rate of flow of charge.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
800 watts toaster/ 12V = 66.6 amps.

67 amps = 67 amp-hours per hour.

67 Ah per hour / 60 = 1.1 Ah per minute.

1.1 Ah per minute x 5 minutes = 5.5 Ah

5.5 Ah x 1.25 (efficiency losses) = 6.9 Ah

Amp-hours is a quantity of charge, Amps is a rate of flow of charge.

But essentially my sums are right? I have 200 amp hours total. That's what they say on the side of them. Running the toaster for five minutes will use 6.9 "amp hours" and so Ill have a total of 193.1 left. No?

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Looking at a small inverter for small draw items has some merit, but once you get to larger uses, coffee machines, hairdryers, lower wattage kettles etc you have to review how you replenish the consumption and the space requirement for the larger inverter. It is at that point where I would suggest that the consideration of an inverter/charger comes into its own. With a Victron unit for example the multiplus 2000 compact you get a fully featured unit, I wont drag the post out with them all but a key one in answer to the title of this thread is its UPS capability, you are on a 6 amp hookup and the hairdryer gets switched on at the same time as you have the kettle on and suddenly the demand is 10 amps. No panic, the breaker does not blow as the Multi inverts the missing amps to supplement the shore 6 amps in real time. For me that is a the best reason for an inverter/charger!

I don't really intend to use hook up and that's massively out of budget. But thanks anyway. :)

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
But essentially my sums are right? I have 200 amp hours total. That's what they say on the side of them. Running the toaster for five minutes will use 6.9 "amp hours" and so Ill have a total of 193.1 left. No?
Yes, the numbers are right, but quite a few people get the units a bit mixed up. Every so often I feel the need to put in the right units. Sorry:giggle:

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Just treated myself to a decent inverter.

Now looking for stuff to run off it, I am sure it should be the other way round but I have only ever had a rubbish one that wouldn’t take a large load.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Yes, the numbers are right, but quite a few people get the units a bit mixed up. Every so often I feel the need to put in the right units. Sorry:giggle:

My old teacher would probably give me a smack too.(y)

School Teacher GIF by Sesame Street

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
Same as most others. 1800 watts pure sine wave. Mainly microwave for defrosting or cooking frozen meals. And for charging phones laptops etc. The install means it feeds all the sockets and it has a seperate RCD to provide shock protection..

Reactions: DBK
Feb 18, 2019
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria S 690 SP.
Exp
2018 August
Her;
Hair Dryer
Curler
Straightener
Air fryer
Microwave
Blender
Me;
Compressor
Bike Charger
Vacuum cleaner
I have a 3000W/6000W Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter I plug into the van EHU Point. 400w solar panels. 400ah battery bank (and a 2kw silent generator if I need). we do a lot of off grid.

Hookup Lead to Inverter.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back