scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just an idea..

.. to save you two ferry fares to Arran ( car return + motorhome single ) . not cheap.. ask him to bring it to Ardrossan.. and meet at the Ferry terminal car park..

check prices from cal mac site .. car return is about £100 and about £70 single for the motorhome

If you are travelling with a vehicle, booking is recommended.
http://www.calmac.co.uk/corporate-calmac/Route-Performance-Figures/ardrossan---brodick.htm

at least if it's a scam you will have saved ferry money

Last edited:
OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Bugger, been out all afternoon just seen this thanks Janine are they both scams??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Seller has sent me V5 document number today and it all goes through to the Gov MOT history check, so I have Mot history back to first Mot, last Mot on the 5/4/2014 Blackwaterfoot garage on the Isle of Arran. so am I right in thinking the other ad is the scam or am I being thick? can I find out anything else from the V5 Doc number?

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I thought it suspect from the start with zero feedback, and when I saw it was on Arran that rung another bell.. hence my post about getting it brought to Ardrossan

A van somewhere supposedly remote/inaccessible seems to be a popular ploy with scammers. They're presumably banking on folk buying sight-unseen because of the difficulties of viewing pre-purchase.

Cookiedoodle

Free Member
May 3, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie since May 2014
Seller has sent me V5 document number today and it all goes through to the Gov MOT history check, so I have Mot history back to first Mot, last Mot on the 5/4/2014 Blackwaterfoot garage on the Isle of Arran. so am I right in thinking the other ad is the scam or am I being thick? can I find out anything else from the V5 Doc number?

Ask him to send you a photo of him holding the V5...

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I've been following this with interest as we're looking for a m/h and I'm worried about buying privately.

If I were in your position I'd take a punt and ring the garage that did the last mot, can't imagine there are that many hymers based on the isle of Arran, can they verify that it's genuine?

I might also be tempted to ring the other number on the other ad ( from a different phone) and have a chat, see if it's the same person?

Best of luck

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Looks like the Wales ad is a scam, I would ring the number and speak to the "seller". In fact, why don't we all do it? :ROFLMAO:
Allan

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Another thought - don't suppose the m/h is on the drive if you look at street view?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
They are either both scams, OR, the Welsh one is the scam. look how cheap it is in Wales. The scammers always drop the price to make it seem a complete bargain, (playing on the greed aspect of buyers).

Follow up by phone with the Scots one, but the whole thing looks a bit 'iffy'. :Sad:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Well, the Reg numbers are the same. The scenery LOOKS very Scotland. :whatthe:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Wizzer just realised you're in Wales too, why not ring the welsh one and ask to view? :winky:

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Still wary but it looks like my guy is ok, he told me he bought it from bristol and the mot history bares this out:thumb:

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Still wary but it looks like my guy is ok, he told me he bought it from bristol and the mot history bares this out:thumb:

Hmm, I'm gonna be in Broddick on Wednesday. I could check and confirm that it exists at least.

Tim

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Tim Thanks for that, problem is I don't have an address as yet but I'm working on it:thumb: looks like the forums closing in a mo:Sad:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Morning,
If you feel reasonably happy the Brodick guy is genuine would it be worth telling him about the other ad and then asking for his address so you could at least check street view shows the same property or get Tim to do a drive by?

If your guy is ok he should be more than happy and understand?

Keep us posted please.
Deb

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Morning,
If you feel reasonably happy the Brodick guy is genuine would it be worth telling him about the other ad and then asking for his address so you could at least check street view shows the same property or get Tim to do a drive by?

If your guy is ok he should be more than happy and understand?

Keep us posted please.
Deb

Mornin, I've found the property on street view purely by my powers of deduction:whistle: (read accident) and its quite old streetview as the tree in the front of Hymer pic is a lot smaller, anyway the hymer is not in Streetview which is no great supprise as he has only had it since last August, van has had 5 owners, 1st in Preston area for 6 years, 2nd in Chippenham, wiltshire for 3 years, 3rd in Bishops waltham, Southamton for 1 year, 4th in Bristol for 2 years and lastly 5th on Arran since August 2013, so its been around as the saying goes, what are your thoughts on that many owners guys, my Auto-sleeper has had 6 and its been great. I am reasonably happy that the owner and the van is on Arron:)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Sorry been out, glad you've satisfied yourself that it is a genuine sale....(isn't t'internet absolutely bl*ody marvellous!)

As for the number of previous owners, I've no opinion, not being mechanically minded, that's what husbands/sons are for lol. Is that number of owners a lot for it's age?

Does look a nice van on the pics, think some of the earlier posts suggested things to check?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ours has had more owners than soldiers in the 1st Russian Shock Army, but mind you, it is 20 years old. You just hope that one of them wasn't either 'Inspector Gadget', or had a B&Q OAP card......Ours had both!. :(

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Thanks for all your help guys (cannot find the thanks button any more) Tim I have sent you a pm I think:confused:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi,

I've just been looking at the site that Janine found.
Put in my own type of 'van and there were loads of scams on there. One in particular is advertised as being in four different locations (at last count) and four different prices that were so low as to be the bargain of the year.
SURELY??? people can't be gullible as to try buy a 2013 'van for less than £10000.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi,

I've just been looking at the site that Janine found.
Put in my own type of 'van and there were loads of scams on there. One in particular is advertised as being in four different locations (at last count) and four different prices that were so low as to be the bargain of the year.
SURELY??? people can't be gullible as to try buy a 2013 'van for less than £10000.

You would hope so with those prices, its the clever ones that don't stand out we have to look out for(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back