What do you think of these batteries? (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Not knowing who makes the Halfords battery. Someone here might.

It's £76 for there 115Ah leasure battery as I have a trade card with them or £180 for the Exide one.

Now cash no issue I'd pay the £180 but I have lots and lots of things on the list so any money saved helps but only if it's a smart saving. I don't want to end up buying both because the first turns out to be crap.

I guess I could always return it though.

Anyone have any experience with the Halfords ones?

My current plan as we only have a locker for one battery is to put in the biggest I can manage and add a decent solar panel on the roof. We will mostly be on EHU so it's just to cover 1 might stops should we be without currently.

Later on I plan to add a 2nd in the garage area to double the power available.

IMG_3510.JPG
IMG_3511.PNG

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
I have just replaced my three 120 amp leisure batteries for three 130 amp, i use alpha's own brand, the ones i have just taken of are still good and holding charge,
they will be used for a little home project, the point of this, they have been in use for six years.:xThumb: yer pays yer money and take a chance.:xsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Purchased.

Missed next day by 45mins but should be here Wednesday and its a day off so happy days I can get it fitted. Power me up. :xcool:

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Choosing the right Leisure battery is a minefield. Mainly because there is no legal term or standard for a 'leisure battery' and as a result many people are buying batteries that are labelled leisure batteries which in fact are, or perform no better than starter batteries.
To overcome this problem the National Caravan Council introduced a scheme where so called leisure batteries were purchased and subjected to testing at an independent test house and the results published and batteries categorised in accordance with the results. Now customers can buy a leisure battery and have confidence in it's actual performance regardless of what is stated on the label.
Details of the scheme and a list of tested batteries and their results are attached in this link.
http://www.thencc.org.uk/our_schemes/ncc_verified_leisure_battery_scheme.aspx

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for that link. Much better choice and price.

I am looking at ordering this one.

http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/le...nner-135ah-energy-bull-leisure-battery-95901/

I did read a thread on here last week with a lot of talk about batteries etc but can't seem to find it now. Does this make rate with people?
I have two of these fitted and very happy with them. However, battery performance is dependant on how they are used. I have a SP fitted and try to prevent them being discharged more than 20% this will ensure they exceed there life cycle of 200 discharges by a significant amount.
If your looking for something that has a significant amount of more cycles, then for a another £40 or thereabouts you might want to consider this
Broken Link Removed
(I note these are fitted to brand new motorhomes when I visited over the weekend. Note: they are AGM batteries hence the greater number of cycles and cost. Also, interdependently tested and verified as Class A under the NCC verification scheme).

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just musing about leisure batteries generally, different people use their batteries in different ways, for instance some use hookup all the time so the battery rarely gets used for powering stuff in the m/h. Others prefer to be off-grid and so depend on their leisure batteries. Some vans are only driven a few times a year and stand unused for long periods while others never seem to get cold! Then there are the various ways of recharging and keeping charged; on hookup in storage, solar panels, given a run every few weeks or, horror of horrors, allowed to go flat (a sure battery killer). Given this, it's no wonder that of two identical batteries, one can easily last 10 years, the other may give up the day after the warranty expires. It's all down to use.

The NCC scheme therefore is likely the best way of comparing different brands and construction, rather than "my x-brand battery has lasted for over 10 years/less than 12 months"

(Written between Phil's two posts)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
IMG_3518.JPG
Battery arrived today! Bonus! 15:30 order and here by the next morning. Good service.

Now........... it's a 135ah one which after talking to Rhino installs today they recon will be fine for my current expected use and should give me 3 days power if using it lightly. Or I guess a day hammering it hard.

So I am thinking I'll double it and build a retainer in the garage next to the battery cupboard and throw a 2nd one in there so I have 270ah on hand and that should cover me for any needs really as we're likely on EHU most of the time.

Question? Do I wait and throw them both in together in the new year or can I put the first one in now then the 2nd one in a month. That's how long I estimate it will take me to do the garage work etc to have it secure and linked in.
My common sense is saying they should both go in identically so they are exact age etc but would a month really make any difference? Be nice to get it whacked in tomorrow and lose that crappy 80ah one I have that seems a bit weak even for just 18months old.

We're next using it over new year and will be on EHU. Jan I'll have time to get both in.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
So I am thinking I'll double it and build a retainer in the garage next to the battery cupboard and throw a 2nd one in there so I have 270ah on hand and that should cover me for any needs really as we're likely on EHU most of the time.

If you put 2 of them in you won't have 270ah of capacity. You will have 135ah. With just the one you have 67.5ah usable.

You need to remember that once this type of battery is discharged past 50% it's banjaxed and only good for the skip.

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Am I misunderstanding this. If I only plan to be using EHU does it matter how many batteries I have or is it a case of " mine is bigger then yours"?

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you are always on hook up one battery will be fine, But do you really want/need to limit yourself in that way.

Martin

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
If you are always on hook up one battery will be fine, But do you really want/need to limit yourself in that way.

Martin
Hi Martin. We are new to this having only bought our Motorhome in October. We have only managed one trip so far and with so much to take on board we will be playing safe with ehu for the time being. No doubt things may change but you have clarified what I was assuming.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
If you put 2 of them in you won't have 270ah of capacity. You will have 135ah. With just the one you have 67.5ah usable.

You need to remember that once this type of battery is discharged past 50% it's banjaxed and only good for the skip.
That is in correct. If 2 x 135 AH batteries are connected together it makes 270AH. Also, whilst I agree you should never take a battery below 50% you can in fact take it below 50% and fully recover the battery with an intelligent charger, depending on how deep it has been discharged and for how long. Clearly, it is going to reduce the life expectancy of the battery but it will not be banjaxed.

Upvote 0

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
After being conned over Banner batteries I would advise to get a hopeful long life from them is never leave them on hook up for too long and check the levels at least once a month.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Am I misunderstanding this. If I only plan to be using EHU does it matter how many batteries I have or is it a case of " mine is bigger then yours"?

Its just for as and when we might find ourselfs without electric hook up. The first I can imagine would be if a site's EHU takes a dump and they can't fix it overnight.

2nd is currently looking to go to an F1 Race in 2017 in the Motorhome and the EHU pitchs either book up instantly or don't exist so I would need up to 3 days for that.

Ill plan to add Solar at a later date I think as I probably won't really need it and there are other toys I will want first. But again its a thing id rather have and not need than need and not have.

Upvote 0

KeithMak

Free Member
Nov 10, 2016
South West
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
That is in correct. If 2 x 135 AH batteries are connected together it makes 270AH. Also, whilst I agree you should never take a battery below 50% you can in fact take it below 50% and fully recover the battery with an intelligent charger, depending on how deep it has been discharged and for how long. Clearly, it is going to reduce the life expectancy of the battery but it will not be banjaxed.

But only if left at that discharge rate for a length of time.
If charged straight away it will have much less effect on it.

Read above and learn. (y)

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
After being conned over Banner batteries I would advise to get a hopeful long life from them is never leave them on hook up for too long and check the levels at least once a month.

What model of banner did you have?

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
My Banner batteries are on permanent hook up, except when we are away, i.e. 3 months in Morocco off hook up and they are fine ! Why should they fail or deteriorate if left on hook up ?
Please explain.

Upvote 0

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
My Banner batteries are on permanent hook up, except when we are away, i.e. 3 months in Morocco off hook up and they are fine ! Why should they fail or deteriorate if left on hook up ?
Please explain.
This depends on which charger is fitted to your van, A and N caravans explain it well on their Web site

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back