what do you think of the Premium Lounge on portsmouth santander route (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
we are going to book a cabin and just wondered if anyone had splashed out on the
Premium Lounge - £35 pp each way. basically i wondered if you have the comfort of a cabin if anyone felt it was wothwhile or not
thanks all

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
We paid extra for the Commodore lounge because we were worried about the normal lounges being overcrowded. Think most people must have stayed in their cabins as all lounges were quiet but we really enjoyed the Commodore lounge. If you don’t want an English breakfast (which you pay extra for) in the normal restaurant then you can have the same continental breakfast in the Commodore lounge. Complimentary tea, coffee & snacks available during the day.
This was our first trip on the long crossing as we usually do Eurotunnel but at the time of our trip France was restricted. Although only inside cabins were available we were quite happy with it, UK & European sockets in the cabin if you want to take a travel kettle, also USB charge points.
If we had an outside cabin we may not have used the lounge as much.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We had a really rough crossing to Bilboa a couple of years ago. The premium cabins with their viewing lounge were on the upper decks to the front of the boat. The rocking movement was waaaay worse up there than it was down in economy class. I think the cheap cabins were closer to the point the boat was rolling around so it didn't feel as bad.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
£35 extra per person one way!

Were they supplying unlimited Burger King Double Whoppers?

JJ :cool:
Wot on a posh boat like the Galicia!! No chance!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
I liked it and thought it well worth the money. Breakfast was waiting as soon as we boarded, they fed us all day and the next morning, wine and coffee and soft drinks . I had to go on a diet afterwards

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
IF [and it's still a Big IF], we go to France and Spain this year, we do have the twin incentives/obligations of needing to stop off at our hovel to do some maintenance whilst the trip would be our first sally forth in Brunhilde, so a chance to see how she performs and works for us over a longer period. So, as much for the novelty and research, we will revert to our usual practice of taking 2 or 3 days to drive from Scotland to the Newhaven-Dieppe overnight ferry [old gits' discount], before driving on to the hovel and then starting the 'holiday proper' when we lock the hovel up. This will give us the chance to try Aires +sites, making the drive part of the holiday, giving us the opportunity to just stop for a cuppa or leisurely lunch and snooze en route, instead of chasing my rear end to the holiday destination.

But the outcome of the trial might be that we decide to book the 'Direct to Spain' option for the following year! Keeping clear of crowds this year and focusing on self catering like a pair of agoraphobics to try to keep COVID at bay will be our priority, but we will have to learn to relax at some stage ...

Steve & Elaine

Jun 9, 2018
Paignton
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Autoroller 200
Exp
10 years
A bit late as I have only just seen this post. However, we came back from Spain in February on the Galicia and we enjoyed the Commodore lounge. Edenside says he had continental breakfast but we were offered a full English at no extra cost. Possibly this has changed? As mentioned by others you have unlimited snacks and coffee/tea, also an occasional beer or wine. Our crossing was practically empty so its true there was lots of room in the main lounges, but when things get back to normal, the Commodore should prove a quiet corner.
We shall use it again.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Personally, I'd save the cash for the decent restaurant, if there is one on the boat you've booked. £35 each goes a reasonable way towards the a la carte...

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We had a really rough crossing to Bilboa a couple of years ago. The premium cabins with their viewing lounge were on the upper decks to the front of the boat. The rocking movement was waaaay worse up there than it was down in economy class. I think the cheap cabins were closer to the point the boat was rolling around so it didn't feel as bad.
Like on cruises. The more you pay, the more you sway :giggle:

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
on cruises. The more you pay, the more you sway :giggle:
But, as a well to do cruise passenger said to me about his suite: 'That's the difference between us. I come down to breakfast, you come up ...'

That's me told, then ... :rolleyes:

Steve

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We pay extra for Commodore cabins if we can particularly on the way out. We haven’t travelled on the new Galicia yet. May well consider paying for the premier lounge.

I don’t drink at all and for me the nice cabin is worth every penny. I used to think, gosh how extravagant and wouldn’t have dreamt of it when the children were young but now that it’s just the two of us I reckon the amount I save on not drinking whilst away more than covers the cabin cost.

It’s a nice little haven of quiet. Different people value different things.

We pay for the premier lounge even on the Dover to Calais crossing. Lovely.

Deleted User
Sailed on Galicia end of july not for me nothing to do on board.
Returned on Cap Finistere much better.
What would you like to do on board?
What has the Cap Finistere got that the Galicia has not.
I have been on the CF many times, the Galicia once, both do the same job.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back