What do you make of this van? (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It is a self-build. Nothing wrong with that as long as it's done properly. If you were going to buy one then unless you know exactly what you're looking at take along someone who does when you view

Perhaps there's a free standing table that they just haven't bothered picturing. If not it would be simple and cheap enough to get one

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Looks a bit too minimalist and uncomfortable for me, not keen on the colours either.
If it were me, I could put up with it if it had some comfortable seating or somewhere for two to lounge about a bit when it raining outside.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I don't like the idea of having to empty the cassette into the aisle of the van, surely he could have bought the opposite hand Thetford. Does it have any water tanks. Also not enough storage.On the up side it is 4 berths:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
If a self build is something you'd like and need any questions answering could I point you in the direction of
@Ralph-n-Bev as they self built a beautiful peugeot aptly named pug
Sorry for guiding questions your way Ralph or Bev

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Without a table it cannot be registered as a camper van, a fixed table is a requirement.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Agree with all above . Think I'd want to see photos of the build too . For wiring and insulation etc
It's got to have a table somewhere (maybe it's stored away ) otherwise it won't fit the conversion criteria. Looks very dark ( but that might be the photos ) and basic .
When Ralph first insured Pug they required a gas " certificate " to prove it was up to safety standards. And a full habitation report including a co2 room test . Make sure it has those .

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Without a table it cannot be registered as a camper van, a fixed table is a requirement.

No it's not.

I very briefly owned a coachbuilt from one of the major manufacturers that didn't have a fixed table.

was the vehicle in question and a complete dog it turned out to be which is why I only suffered it for a few months.

Last edited by a moderator:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Where do you start?

OK it's black.... Crap for hot countries

Its dark and dingy inside
Carpet in a toilet area...... Euch
Seats look about as comfortable as a park bench.

The price...... Is he serious?

So in a nutshell I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
It's a bit too austere for my tastes and agree about the black colour maybe being a problem in hot weather. In my mate's Devon Monte Carlo conversion, the toilet cassette also withdraws into the hab space though. The seats don't look too comfortable, they remind me of '80's Space Invader consoles !

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
As I remember from when I registered my van as a motorhome, the rule for a table was something about a fitted permanent table. But this could be "fitted" folded into a wardrobe or something. Basically, the van has to have a table, but a stowed one is fine.

My first concern on the van shown would be insulation. Looking at the image where the back door is open I couldn't see a lot (could be there and sufficient, but something I'd want to check - especially on a black van).

Wouldn't worry about the toilet cassette being retrieved from the inside. I did this out of choice as at the time cassettes were being stolen. Plus it made it easier to fit the toilet slightly lower (on a Ducato type van the toilet I used would have to be raised to clear the vans structure). I did make it look nice though:
cassette door.JPG

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I couldn't imagine relaxing in there. Looks like a quick build to make a quick buck.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think none of the major manufactueres would design a van as dark and austere as that and expect to sell any but beauty is in the eye of the beholder . I would also worry a bit about resale. Also it looks like theres no shower so a no go for me and you were asking about ski-ing don't know where the stuff drying would go or the level of insulation.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just looked again no mention of a sink or heating or cold water or waste tanks!!!!!. I think its aimed at staying overnight for surfers not a touring motorhome.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Like most - I'm not keen on it for so many reasons, many been mentioned but I add;
Winterisation seems to be a priority for you - is it?
Have the rear passenger seats been properly & safely installed?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It would be interesting to speak to whoever converted it and find out their thinking. It looks like it's a new conversion that's never been used. Perhaps whoever did it converted it for their own use and so to their own spec but now for whatever reason they've decided to sell it instead.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
As most others have said, not really keen on it for reasons previously mentioned.

When I first started looking for a bigger van than our old mazda bongo I started off by looking at a lot of self build race/day vans like that one. I ended up getting a 3 year old Adria twin which fitted our needs much better.

For those interested here are the rules of what is required for a vehicle to be registered as a motor caravan.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...o-a-motorhome#dft-definition-of-motor-caravan

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks everyone. Not many PVCs of that age. (new!) come in my price range which is why it caught my eye . I did ask him about table and he said you can easily fit one. I asked about insulation and he said it was fully insulated sides and roof panels. I agree about sombre decor but I never understand why people take their pics with the blinds closed - seems daft.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Thanks everyone. Not many PVCs of that age. (new!) come in my price range which is why it caught my eye . I did ask him about table and he said you can easily fit one. I asked about insulation and he said it was fully insulated sides and roof panels. I agree about sombre decor but I never understand why people take their pics with the blinds closed - seems daft.
I'd forget the fact that it's new.... You can do a lot better than that for that kind of money
Or buy a van and have it converted

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Am I the only one to notice that two of the seats (berths???) don't have seat belts.
Therefore. It ain't a four berth.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Am I the only one to notice that two of the seats (berths???) don't have seat belts.
I believe it can still be classed as a berth regardless of travel seats.... Mine is 6 berth for sleeping but only 4 belted travel seats

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I believe it can still be classed as a berth regardless of travel seats.... Mine is 6 berth for sleeping but only 4 belted travel seats

Totally concur, BUT 6 berth to 4, not much of a problem but 4 down to 2 could quite easily cause trouble.

There are loads of things to consider when buying a vehicle but I might be wrong (don't think so) that it might not be legal to sell a forward facing seat without a seat belt and if not illegal, I'm sure that some sort of notice should be visible to all users of the van.
In addition, it would never enter my head to check any vehicle I was buying that a forward facing seat did not have a belt. No doubt the owner/maker of this is hoping a potential buyer also fails to note this omission.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010

Picture 8 shows the clips to receive the seatbelts for the other 2 forward facing seats so can't see why the actual belts wouldn't be there. Whether you would trust them on someone else's self build is another matter.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Is it a M/Home on the V5? If it isn't you are not buying a M/Home, you are buying a VAN! No matter how it's been fitted out it's still a van!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back