What do you like to do at a rally (1 Viewer)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
What do you like to do at a rally. simple question and the obvious answer it to meet other funsters for a laugh, do you like booze ups, coffee mornings, competitions, races, what ideas do you have that you have not seen yet.
lots of questions I look forward to reading your replies.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Don't know - never been to a rally

But I have stood in the middle of the night in winter in Grizedale Forest watching the RAC Rally go by................................How boring was that:winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
first two on your list fit the bill Roger.

coffee mornings ? whats a morning ? :roflmto:

games, competitions....may as well go to butlins :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
What do you like to do at a rally. simple question and the obvious answer it to meet other funsters for a laugh, do you like booze ups, coffee mornings, competitions, races, what ideas do you have that you have not seen yet.

Mainly meeting other funsters putting faces to names - different rallies - different people - different circumstances - some have entertainment and its nice to go listen with a group of us - did one at Bath last year and a group of half a dozen of us had a fantastic day in the city together - at another one there was fancy dress optional with a bit of music and food - that was great fun - at another we just spent a lot of time nattering and meeting each other - the one thing we have found is that there is never enough time at a 4 or 5 day rally to meet and natter with everyone - Shepton last year - guess there was about 50 units there - I reckon we met up with about 25 of them then the daftest of things - we get in touch with laneside over the auction only to find that he was nearly opposite 40 yards aways form us and probably we said hello a couple of times but never really got to know them there - we shall make sure that is rectified this year !!
Logically I suppose a bacon roll and a cup of tea one day and if the weather is good a communial BBQ one evening bring your own grub and drink to suit would be an answer . Most people want a chance to natter and catch up some rallies we have been on where music and things have been organised and most people have drifted off because either others get annoyed because of people talking or the music is so loud you cannot have a conversation without shouting.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Rally virgins :Blush::Blush::Blush: thinking of attending one or two:Eeek:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My plan with rallies is to keep it as relaxed as possible and never put people under pressure to do anything. But if something is being organised such as a BBQ or coffee morning, let them know but make sure they realise that nothing is compulsory. I have been to Rallies ( not fun one's) where I've been given an itinerary dictating my whole weekend.:Eeek: this type of busy weekend can be good, but it's not for everyone.

To those of you that have never been on a Funster rally before,you'll find that the brief when you arrive goes something like this....

There is the marquee, some people will get together for a coffee in the morning or a beer in the evening, if you see someone in there please feel free to pop in you'll be made very welcome. If you like bacon rolls, turn up hungry at the marquee at 10 am on sunday, meanwhile if you have any questions I live in that van please knock the door anytime, have a nice weekend.

Fun rallies are excellent, don't be shy, book on one, you'll be glad you did :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just go with the flow and hope have brought enough beer.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I tend to wear blue mainly:winky:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Simple answer is yes :thumb:

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Meet other Funsters, do what we want, when we want, if we want, Chillax. Dont like to feel under pressure and wouldnt want Funsters to feel the same if we organised a local Meet.

Dale

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
If rallying in a strange area..... do try to do a bit of site seeing in the area... An odd glass of "Spanish Sweet White Wine".. and general chilling out... And I do have the urge to do a bit of metal detecting when the washing up is due to be done.. :winky::RollEyes:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I think Funsters should have the opportunity to do good works if they want like fence building or black van polishing... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

JJ

We know he needs a fence building, but didn't know Roger had bought a black van.
Nice of you to think of him, though.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
A rally as opposed to a show is a good chance to explore new areas and try new things rather than just sit on site, it is an excellent opportunity to develop friendships and maybe try things that you wouldn't normally think of doing. Or just sit and chill with a glass of milk, hee hee.
Plenty of room at our place if anyone fancies trying boule, or ringer (horseshoes)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Love boules Roger,used to play every day when in France and Spain,dont get much chance here in the UK,was thinking of building a pitch in the garden.Used to be quite a good shooter,but am a bit out of practice now.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I like to do nothing or everything, depending on what I decide to do. Can not stand being horanged and harassed in to doing boules, treasure hunting, fence building or anything else.

Nikki and I like to organise a bbq, coffee morning, or anything else to get a few to meet each other, then its up to them.

watch this space:winky:

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I am of a mind to make facilities available rather than harass or harangue anyone into doing anything I was looking for inspiration, thats all. Fence building was never on the agenda at a meet for me but Jim needs help.
so thanks everyone for your suggestions and ideas. I'll just sit back and let it all happen or not as the case may be.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
I think you are right Roger - nothing we have done at a Rally or a meet has really been preplanned - it is always spur of the moment decisions - you go to a show you know you are going to look around the show for certain but everything else will depend basically on who's there - where it is and what the weather is doing and then go with the flow as they say.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Well I certainly know how to enjoy myself...dont mind doing a bit of supervising work either.:winky:
Spud pealing for about 20 people,I now draw the line at though.::bigsmile:

Attachments

• kays favourites 001.jpg
    kays favourites 001.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 32
  • kays favourites 026.jpg
    kays favourites 026.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 32
  • kays favourites 054.jpg
    kays favourites 054.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 34
  • kays favourites 030.jpg
    kays favourites 030.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 29

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I think you are right Roger - nothing we have done at a Rally or a meet has really been preplanned - it is always spur of the moment decisions - you go to a show you know you are going to look around the show for certain but everything else will depend basically on who's there - where it is and what the weather is doing and then go with the flow as they say.

unfortunately that does not always work if you are not at a show,
What we tend to do is arrange something and encourage people to join. No pressure but just something that will be going on. We have had dog walks, BBQs, dancing, fish and chip nights and alike. It just helps if there is a focal point for people to go to where they can say "so who are you"? and from that develop life long friends.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
What we tend to do is arrange something and encourage people to join. No pressure but just something that will be going on. We have had dog walks, BBQs, dancing, fish and chip nights and alike. It just helps if there is a focal point for people to go to where they can say "so who are you"? and from that develop life long friends.

I am so upset with you over the phone business i will not be drinking with you this year:swear: going to check your phone and see if my number innit :Angry:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I am so upset with you over the phone business i will not be drinking with you this year:swear: going to check your phone and see if my number innit :Angry:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

hey but John, I didn't wanna wake you, it was gone 10pm lol.:ROFLMAO:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp

Agree there - for us though dog walk no - BBQ yes - dancing I have two left feet and have broken both of them !! - fish and chips definately - that is what I mean though go with the flow if its peeing hard the BBQ is a no but Fish and Chips would be good - all on the same wavelength different terminology :thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I am of a mind to make facilities available rather than harass or harangue anyone into doing anything I was looking for inspiration, thats all. Fence building was never on the agenda at a meet for me but Jim needs help.
so thanks everyone for your suggestions and ideas. I'll just sit back and let it all happen or not as the case may be.

Roger I think your idea of gathering idea's is a good one, nothing happens by accident, a little bit of preperation then, like Jims bacon butties or Pauls BQ whatever but a board up so everyone knows what is going on then you can join in or not as you want but the thing is to make sure everyone is included if they want to be.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
At your rally in August I'm hoping to go on a trip to Lundy island. So any info about local attractions would be helpful. Then folks have an alternative. Just my 2p worth:Smile:

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
Not yet been to a MH rally. Been to plenty of motorcycle rallies - but they are a tad different!:roflmto:

Id be happy to meet other funsters, but not one for 'organised' aspects, where you are virtually required to attend the nightly function etc. And im not against 'nightly functions' either, its just the 'expected to attend' which im not keen on.

I got talking to a tugger last year. He was telling me he'd been to his first - and last CC rally. He and his mrs hadnt bothered to attend that evenings bash in the 'clubhouse'- preferring to go the local pub where there was a band on, and was virtually ostracised for the remainder of the meet.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Not yet been to a MH rally. Been to plenty of motorcycle rallies - but they are a tad different!:roflmto:

Id be happy to meet other funsters, but not one for 'organised' aspects, where you are virtually required to attend the nightly function etc. And im not against 'nightly functions' either, its just the 'expected to attend' which im not keen on.

I got talking to a tugger last year. He was telling me he'd been to his first - and last CC rally. He and his mrs hadnt bothered to attend that evenings bash in the 'clubhouse'- preferring to go the local pub where there was a band on, and was virtually ostracised for the remainder of the meet.
We dont do "under the flag" more under the beer tent:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back