What do you do if the log book does not match your motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi we have a new Bentley motorhome, which is BRILLIANT in every respect!

The only little problem is that we have just received our log book, which states that the GVW is 3500. whereas our Oulton is 3850.

Now this is good because Mike will not need to have a medical every 3 years when he reaches 70 BUT not so good if we are stopped and asked to explain why we are very overweight

We rang the dealer this morning and he is looking into it, but has anyone any idea what we will have to do, bearing in mind we are going to France and Spain in a month!!

Ginny and Mike

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I can't help, but I shall watch the replies with interest as we have the same situation in reverse - our log book says 3850kg while the Alko plate under the bonnet says 3400kg. I'll be 70 in three years time so not too bothered right now - particularly as I can enjoy the slightly cheaper vehicle excise duty as a PHG.

I have queried the figure with Swift, as I know a chassis upgrade to 3850kg was possible but a certificate they got me from AlKo confirms the lower weight.

Hope you get yours resolved very quickly, and to your satisfaction.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
What do you do if the log book does not match

I have been told to go by the converters plate as this would be the more accurate one.

S

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
:RollEyes: think you will find this is the dvla coming in line with the eu laws and ammendments for the change in weight re licence entitlement,, to the dealer it will be a very grey area as all he wants to do is sell you the home ?? phone dvla on 03007906801 and i think its 4 for vech,,let them sort it :thumb:

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I have been told to go by the converters plate as this would be the more accurate one.

S

I cant find the Alco plate under the bonnet or the converters plate, on our previous Autocruise motorhome this was at the bottom near the habitation door, but not on this one.

I cant see anything other than the full VIN number on the cab or the log book.

The log book also says PLG, whereas I was expecting PHG which is why I queried the road tax for Euro 5 on a previous post.

The plot thickens!!!

Ginny and Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as you bought the van new there should have been a certificate of compliancy from alko in the hand-over pack.

many dealers get the first registration wrong and register as 3500kg (PLG)
even a lot of heavy RV's are registered wrongly as PLG but weigh in excess of 7 tons
Alko and converters plates should be under the bonnet but look in the cab door opening/step area.

while technically you are wrongly registered, providing you are under 3500kg when loaded you should be ok if stopped but in the event of an insurance claim you may find you are not insured.
also, you are paying around £50 too much road tax.

worth getting it sorted until Mike is 70 then have it officially downplated to 3500kg.....depending on the actual weight it may not be viable as the payload could be next to nothing at 3500kg

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
as you bought the van new there should have been a certificate of compliancy from alko in the hand-over pack.

many dealers get the first registration wrong and register as 3500kg (PLG)
even a lot of heavy RV's are registered wrongly as PLG but weigh in excess of 7 tons
Alko and converters plates should be under the bonnet but look in the cab door opening/step area.

while technically you are wrongly registered, providing you are under 3500kg when loaded you should be ok if stopped but in the event of an insurance claim you may find you are not insured.
also, you are paying around £50 too much road tax.

worth getting it sorted until Mike is 70 then have it officially downplated to 3500kg.....depending on the actual weight it may not be viable as the payload could be next to nothing at 3500kg

Right, we have found the Vin plate next to the Alco Plate. it states 3500kg, below that 6000 kg then 1-1850kg and 2-2100kg

The Alco plate states 3850kg, below that 5800kg then 1-1850kg and 2-2100kg

So, this seems to follow what you said Pappajohn. However, the chances of being at or under 3500kg are not good, according to the Specs the unladen weight is 3400kg.

If we are stopped do we point them to the Alco plate or the log book??

Does anyone have an idea of what the other figures mean?

Ginny and Mike

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Right, we have found the Vin plate next to the Alco Plate. it states 3500kg, below that 6000 kg then 1-1850kg and 2-2100kg

So, this seems to follow what you said Pappajohn. However, the chances of being at or under 3500kg are not good, according to the Specs the unladen weight is 3400kg.

Ginny and Mike

The first, as you know, is your GVW or MAM as it is now known - the gross fully loaded weight which you must not exceed.

The second is the maximum permissable train weight - the combined weight of your motorhome AND any trailer that you may be towing.

The third is the max front axle weight

The fourth is the max rear axle weight

If you're stopped you should argue the Al-Ko plate as in doing so you reduce the risk of being done for being overweight, especially as otherwise you appear to have only 100 kg payload, which is totally unrealistic. Even at 3850 you'll only have 450 Kg which is hardly generous. If I were you I would get in touch with Al-Ko, give them your VIN number and they will supply you with a certificate for you to forward to the DVLA to get your registration details amended. They'll also probably send you a tax refund, too.

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
:RollEyes: think you will find this is the dvla coming in line with the eu laws and ammendments for the change in weight re licence entitlement,, to the dealer it will be a very grey area as all he wants to do is sell you the home ?? phone dvla on 03007906801 and i think its 4 for vech,,let them sort it :thumb:

It isn't a grey area at all. It's quite straightforward and makes no difference to the dealer, one way or the other, and in this case certainly wouldn't have helped him to sell the home. The dealer simply appears to have made a mistake and entered 3500 instead of 3850 when he applied for first registration. Easy to do but not as easy to put right.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Ginny and Mike
ignore the original vin plate....it has been superceeded by the alko plate.

the other figures are

5800kg = max train weight....the maximum weight of loaded van plus loaded trailer

1850kg = front axle maximum load
2100kg = rear axle maximum load

the front and rear weights always add up to more than the vehicle gross for uneven loading purposes but each axle AND the max weight must never be exceeded.

if the rear axle is at 2100 then the front cant be more than 1750kg...3850kg total

to correct the log book....take a few pics of the vin plates..both the original and the Alko.
include a pic of the van with the registration plate in the shot and readable.

take the pics AND the log book AND the tax disc to your local DVLA office.....the tax will be refunded on the spot but you must buy new tax at the same time...no choice, no option, and explain the problem.

you can do this by post but to be sure they know what you want, go in person.

as squire says.....alko will provide a certificate of compliancy but they will charge you for it.
get your dealer to ask for it....i got mine via swifts for free.

you MUST surrender the tax disc on the spot and buy the correct tax disc at the same time or they wont do any changes.....but you'll be due a refund as well due to the remaining months left and the price difference.

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
SNIP as squire says.....alko will provide a certificate of compliancy but they will charge you for it.
get your dealer to ask for it....i got mine via swifts for free.

Yes, of course - PJ's quite right - your dealer should pay for the certificate as it was their mistake in not correctly registering it in the first place. In fact, your dealer should spend their time in sorting it out, not you !

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I had a problem with my log book prior to going to France, in that it hadnt arrived and DVLA had told me they had got my name wrong.
Going in a week, but they said "No problem, it will be sorted within a month!!"

Go to your local VRO, take all the docs you have including commercial invoice.
Tell them about the cock up, blame Swansea.
(They love that!)
Ask for a temp cert. Costs about £3 or so.
They will issue a temporary Registration Certificate of the correct ilk, which is valid for your trip.
(Says so on the document.)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, of course - PJ's quite right - your dealer should pay for the certificate as it was their mistake in not correctly registering it in the first place. In fact, your dealer should spend their time in sorting it out, not you !

very true, but to speed things up its easier and quicker to do it yourself :winky:

BTW....Vosa will probably go on the Alko vin plate at the roadside...but no guarantee !

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
The first, as you know, is your GVW or MAM as it is now known - the gross fully loaded weight which you must not exceed.

The second is the maximum permissable train weight - the combined weight of your motorhome AND any trailer that you may be towing.

The third is the max front axle weight

The fourth is the max rear axle weight

If you're stopped you should argue the Al-Ko plate as in doing so you reduce the risk of being done for being overweight, especially as otherwise you appear to have only 100 kg payload, which is totally unrealistic. Even at 3850 you'll only have 450 Kg which is hardly generous. If I were you I would get in touch with Al-Ko, give them your VIN number and they will supply you with a certificate for you to forward to the DVLA to get your registration details amended. They'll also probably send you a tax refund, too.

Many thanks for that excellent information and advice.

Could you tell me, if a vehicle is registered as 3500 and some time later is upgraded to 3850 does the owner need to have his Log book altered?

We have just checked through all the information given to us on handover, but there is no Alco certificate, so I will ring them tomorrow and set everything in motion. The advantage of a tax refund is always welcome. :thumb:

Ginny and Mike

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Many thanks for that excellent information and advice.

Could you tell me, if a vehicle is registered as 3500 and some time later is upgraded to 3850 does the owner need to have his Log book altered?

We have just checked through all the information given to us on handover, but there is no Alco certificate, so I will ring them tomorrow and set everything in motion. The advantage of a tax refund is always welcome. :thumb:

Ginny and Mike

I don't quite understand your question in relaton to your problem. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your vehicle has already been upgraded to 3850 but incorrectly registered as 3500. The DVLA will automatically send you a new log book when they amend their records after you have 'set everything in motion'. You won't have the option of NOT having your log book altered - and it wouldn't be in your interest in NOT doing so anyway as otherwise you'd be needlessly paying RFL at a higher rate.

Or have a got hold of the wrong end of the stick ..... ?

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I don't quite understand your question in relaton to your problem. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your vehicle has already been upgraded to 3850 but incorrectly registered as 3500. The DVLA will automatically send you a new log book when they amend their records after you have 'set everything in motion'. You won't have the option of NOT having your log book altered - and it wouldn't be in your interest in NOT doing so anyway as otherwise you'd be needlessly paying RFL at a higher rate.

Or have a got hold of the wrong end of the stick ..... ?

Sorry, I should not have asked the question in the same post. Yes I understand what we must do, and will start the process tomorrow.

I contacted the dealer first thing this morning, but have not received any answer, let alone one as detailed as yours and the other funsters.

The question about how to upgrade the alco was one I had thought about with my previous motorhome, but that is accademic now!

Thanks again,

Ginny and Mike

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Sorry, I should not have asked the question in the same post. Yes I understand what we must do, and will start the process tomorrow.

I contacted the dealer first thing this morning, but have not received any answer, let alone one as detailed as yours and the other funsters.

The question about how to upgrade the alco was one I had thought about with my previous motorhome, but that is accademic now!

Thanks again,

Ginny and Mike

You're very welcome. I hope you get it sorted before you go but it's not the end of the world if you don't. I know you're supposed to take a copy of your log book when you go abroad but I have never once been asked for it in over 50 years of Continental travelling and hundreds of visits. It wouldn't lose as much as a wink of sleep over it.

Enjoy your trip .....

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
very true, but to speed things up its easier and quicker to do it yourself :winky:

BTW....Vosa will probably go on the Alko vin plate at the roadside...but no guarantee !

NO WE WONT ?? we use the original vin as put on by maker,so will police and dvla will ask for a re weigh at vosa test station this is because the vin is put in several places on vech , like i said and no diss respect to others posting here let DVLA sort it as per phone no i gave you :Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
NO WE WONT ?? we use the original vin as put on by maker,so will police and dvla will ask for a re weigh at vosa test station this is because the vin is put in several places on vech , like i said and no diss respect to others posting here let DVLA sort it as per phone no i gave you :Eeek:
sorry, should have said alko revised weight plate....yes, the vin is stamped on the chassis and possible other locations and can never be altered in the life of the vehicle.

dvla can ask for a Vosa weight check but unless theres a problem with the vehicles identity its highly unlikely....and means diddly-squat anyway, as the vehicle could be completely empty of all load or loaded to its max permissible weight so the weight check means nothing at all.
the only people who can state a vehicles gross weight are the manufacturers, they designed it, the built it...they are the only ones who know the materials used, the quality of the materials, fixings and welds and the stresses the materials can cope with and if the braking system/suspension is capable among other specific items.Vosa can only weigh the vehicle and say if its under, over or on the manufacturers gross weight.
how can they possible say "this vehicle has a gross of 3850kg" simply by weighing it if it has no load or even overloaded at the time of weighing ?

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just had a re-read of your post and what you're saying is any vehicle that has had a weight uprate by way of an Alko chassis etc isnt actually legal on the road due to overloading.
or for that matter, one that has been downrated from a manufacturers 3850kg to 3500kg for driving licence purposes.
if Vosa only go by the original makers plate then all tag axles and many larger motorhomes are overweight when they come out of the converters factory.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
You're very welcome. I hope you get it sorted before you go but it's not the end of the world if you don't. I know you're supposed to take a copy of your log book when you go abroad but I have never once been asked for it in over 50 years of Continental travelling and hundreds of visits. It wouldn't lose as much as a wink of sleep over it.

Enjoy your trip .....

HI, well it has taken us all morning - and a trip into Sheffield (which is a nightmare) but everything is sorted.

The process is as one or two funsters predicted.

I telephoned DVLA first thing this morning. They advised me I would have to enter the alteration on the log book and sign it, take the tax disc, insurance, log book, letter explaining what had happened and a photograph of the Alco Plate and Vin Plate to Sheffield.

Sheffield DVLA was almost empty and we were sorted out within 5 mins. They took the log book, letter and photograph to send to Swansea and gave me a new tax disc and photocopies of the log book which I could use in France if the new one was not returned in time.

We were very impressed with the service.

Thanks to everyone who helped on the forum.

Ginny and Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back