What do you call yours (and why)? (1 Viewer)

Mar 2, 2019
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
Since Dec 2017
We are due to pick up our new (to us) Benimar Mileo 286 next week. Whilst walking the dog this morning we were pondering and struggling to come up with a name for the van. Our previous van was called The escape pod, as we used it to escape the daily work grind but as we have now joined the retired and broke community we thought of naming the new van something with a Spanish flair. I know not everyone names their van but we like the idea of giving it a bit of an identity. My husband suddenly stopped and with a straight face suggested calling it ‘Underpants’ and when I looked at him as if he was mad, he said it was apt because it will contain 2 old farts and a little Sh*t! (The dog)
Needless to say we will not be calling it that, the dog is much better behaved than he used to be, but it got me thinking about why people name their vans and if there are any particular reasons.
So come on, fess up and name names!

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Both of ours had and have names based on their number plate. The first wx***een became Weenie and the current one starts with wf so became Wilf.
We often play the game as we're out and about naming vehicles by their plates.
We are sad aren't we?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Are you really sure you want to name what’s basically a tin can on wheels🤔

Societal norms dictate that assigning human minds to non-human objects—a phenomenon called anthropomorphism—is a tendency we ought to outgrow; past puberty, those who still talk to their stuffed bunny or name their household appliances are perceived as immature—if not crazy.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Ours is called the van.

The only vehicle with a name was a very old VW Beetle who had real personality... we mostly called it 'that F******Thing' but when it was in our good books he was Burt. 🙂

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016

Societal norms dictate that assigning human minds to non-human objects—a phenomenon called anthropomorphism—is a tendency we ought to outgrow; past puberty, those who still talk to their stuffed bunny or name their household appliances are perceived as immature—if not crazy.
At least the OP used the term 'dog' in her post not 'furbaby', aaarrrggg 🤣

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Our's have always been affectionately called "Van" it just seems to have stuck.

The scooter is called "The Free Cockney" or Cockney for short. 🤔 Or sometimes Scoot.
It was a commuter bike in London that we rescued when it was 6 months old, hence the name 😎

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that

We qualify on both!

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I find it bizzare when folk give a machine a name, particularly a human name.

Even more confusing is when they talk about them as if they were a person ie. we took (insert silly name here) away for a weekend, etc.. as if everyone knows what they're talking about.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner

If I were planning to grow up, it would have happened by now; and, having just passed 68, I fear it is too late, now. Brunhilde is nicely alliterative, and she does have her own character. And, as the old saying has it, a Van is like a woman; if you want them to work, you have to keep playing with them ...

The only problem is that 3 weeks after I had the idea to play with her, I cannot remember why [Brunhilde, obviously, because I can be on my hands and knees for hours at a time; whereas with the other lady in my life, 23 seconds is a personal best, even though it includes15 seconds struggling with my socks ... ] (y) :giggle:

And, when Elaine wanders into Brunhilde and asks the question, 'What's this knob for?' there is guaranteed to be a moment of uncertainty, anxiety and confusion ...

Steve

panda

Free Member
Dec 16, 2011
notts
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1996
Our new one is a Mezan and I'm calling her Milly and our solar light is a ladybird and I call her Lilly so Milly and Lilly are travelling with us. Mind you we are in our 80s and allowed to be childish!

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
If I were planning to grow up, it would have happened by now; and, having just passed 68, I fear it is too late, now. Brunhilde is nicely alliterative, and she does have her own character. And, as the old saying has it, a Van is like a woman; if you want them to work, you have to keep playing with them ...

The only problem is that 3 weeks after I had the idea to play with her, I cannot remember why [Brunhilde, obviously, because I can be on my hands and knees for hours at a time; whereas with the other lady in my life, 23 seconds is a personal best, even though it includes15 seconds struggling with my socks ... ] (y) :giggle:

Steve
See.. I had to read this a few times before realizing that 'Brunhilde' is in fact a machine and not someones wife/partner/friend.. so embarrassing.

OP
OP
WednVegas
Mar 2, 2019
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
Since Dec 2017

Aahh, I knew there would be someone intelligent on here that would think it is immature to name inanimate objects 😏
So call me crazy and immature as I have been known to berate (using the odd naughty word) vehicles and household appliances when they have misbehaved and to cajole and plead with same inanimate objects at times and defy anyone to say they have not done the same at some time.
And no I do not refer to my dog as a fur baby🤣 although he has been called some of those naughty words on occasion!

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
See.. I had to read this a few times before realizing that 'Brunhilde' is in fact a machine and not someones wife/partner/friend.. so embarrassing.
Brunhilde is incapable of embarrassment, because she's a machine; Elaine is also incapable of embarrassment, because she's had 22 years of me and has long since ceased to apologise for me [which is why we never go to the same place twice, so that nobody notices her reluctance ...] :LOL:

Steve

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Aahh, I knew there would be someone intelligent on here that would think it is immature to name inanimate objects 😏
So call me crazy and immature as I have been known to berate (using the odd naughty word) vehicles and household appliances when they have misbehaved and to cajole and plead with same inanimate objects at times and defy anyone to say they have not done the same at some time.
And no I do not refer to my dog as a fur baby🤣 although he has been called some of those naughty words on occasion!
We had a first generation cross Labrador/Dalmatian [neither breed blessed with much common sense] and my younger son made Patch his own. Because Patch lacked common sense, and frustrated my son so often, the dog would respond to both 'Patch' and 'Ba*tard Dog' ... Photo is c 1992

Steve

_File0030003.jpg

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I name all my vans ...and ive named a few of my cars too

A few of my motorhome names

Ive had buster the burstner

Mable the euramobil ....you're a mable

Mable 2 ...the mobilvetta

Franki the frankia

Toby the hymer ...to be or not to be ...also the reg was jvg but i innitialy thought it was jug

Kouros the vario ....kouros mercedes and i bought it when in greece

Wullie the iveco .....cheap van to go south for winter ....wullie get me there or wont he

Having had over 700 vehicles ill not list them all 😁🤣🤣🤣🤣

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I know lots of people name their vans.
I don’t name vehicles and find it very odd when people quote the name to you, like you should know the name of their vehicle. Most exciting I get is “van”

Sorry, I’m boring. But like your husband’s naming. 👌🏻👌🏻
I also find it weird that an inanimate object can be given a name .
“ This is our van Molly”
. What am I supposed to do ?
I am expected to say
“ Hi Molly , I hope you’ve had a great day !”
🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We had a first generation cross Labrador/Dalmatian [neither breed blessed with much common sense] and my younger son made Patch his own. Because Patch lacked common sense, and frustrated my son so often, the dog would respond to both 'Patch' and 'Ba*tard Dog' ... Photo is c 1992

Steve

View attachment 548007
That looks amazingly like my jade
20200120_093747.jpg

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
We call ours PV.
When we were first thinking about getting a MH/PVC, we mentioned it to our children, and they all said, ‘ oh not one of those horrible van conversions’. So anyway, a few months later when we finally got our V-Line, we bough an apron with ‘Posh Van’ embroidered on the from, specifically to wind the kids up. So we now refer to it as ‘The PV’
Four years later, all three children and both grandchildren all now have Campervans, two T5’s, two T4’s and a transit (we forgive him😉), and all are busy spending every spare penny and spare time converting them👍
It is a bug easy to catch. The golf+tent has now been replaced with a T5.
it’s really great, as we now go away as a family👍
6DC3D7A4-8779-4023-A697-524C33AAB133.jpeg

OP
OP
WednVegas
Mar 2, 2019
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
Since Dec 2017
I know lots of people name their vans.

I also find it weird that an inanimate object can be given a name .
“ This is our van Molly”
. What am I supposed to do ?
I am expected to say
“ Hi Molly , I hope you’ve had a great day !”
🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
I would not dream of introducing my van to someone🙄that is a bit weird, but would probably just refer to it by name when talking about getting it MOT‘d and serviced and what to load in it etc. Does that make me less weird🤔 Notice I did not refer to it as a him or her🙄

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Brunhilde's predecessors were a Folding Caravan and an ancient Touring Caravan, aka Gobby the Gobur and Swifty respectively. Much more fun when recalling previous trips and the inevitable blips that occur en route; 'You remember, that was when we lost the rooflight from Gobby and almost caused Tig to flip over ...' et seq

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back