What do people pay for (very) basic storage? (1 Viewer)

LuckyLuke

Free Member
Aug 16, 2017
France & UK
Funster No
MH
A - Class / Integral
Farmer opposite us is thinking of renting out a near empty barn near us for caravan and motorhome storage. Its a reasonable size barn (probably could house 6-10 MH) fully enclosed. Its within a fenced enclosure. At the moment he uses it to house a solitary tractor, he is only planning on 4-5 vehicles so that there is plenty of space to move around. Its rural Brittany, any idea what a reasonable annual rate would be per year?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Not sure if France is the same as the UK but if it is you need to speak to your insurers first. If the don't accept the barn as a storage site it doesn't matter how cheap it is.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not sure if France is the same as the UK but if it is you need to speak to your insurers first. If the don't accept the barn as a storage site it doesn't matter how cheap it is.
Don't see why they wouldn't , ours is parked up in our yard and insurers never said anything so I presume it would be the same for anyone else parking there as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke

Free Member
Aug 16, 2017
France & UK
Funster No
MH
A - Class / Integral
Cheers, not thought of that side of things yet - I'll give them a call.. though not expecting there to be issues as even alarms and trackers are optional except for the most expensive vans (eg (just for fun) we had a look at a second hand Concorde - no alarm or tracker fitted!)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Don't see why they wouldn't , ours is parked up in our yard and insurers never said anything so I presume it would be the same for anyone else parking there as well.

At your home address or another address?

Doesn't matter if you own both.

Been through this with insurers, even some CASSOA sites are undesirable and attract an additional premium.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
At your home address or another address?

Doesn't matter if you own both.

Been through this with insurers, even some CASSOA sites are undesirable and attract an additional premium.
Yeah , home address.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Beware of using farm yards for storage, farms are full of wildlife including mice and rats and they LOVE motorhomes for all that lovely comfy upholstery to chew into bedding.

D.

OP
OP
LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke

Free Member
Aug 16, 2017
France & UK
Funster No
MH
A - Class / Integral
Sounds as though it might just be best to park it up at home - ok it will be out in the sun, but our resident feral cats will ensure it is mouse and rat free :)

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
I have stored our motorhome in a barn for the last 8 years and we pay £260 PA which includes electricity on a timer so no flat batteries. It is registered with our insurers . Yes there are mices about but we put poison outside the vehicle and distribute a packet of Bounce tumble dry sheets throughout the van , never had a problem.

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
We store ours in a barn about a kilometre away. No electric but v clean and secure (fingers crossed!), they store about half a dozen MHs/caravans and someone's collection of clapped out Renault 20s - don't ask. We pay €150 a year.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I've used three storage facilities - all of varying standard.
One was a farm, in a barn charged at £1 per day payable quarterly.
In the barn, it was ok but outside, he had lacked the vans in and they were very close. Plus access road was poor. I'd bottom out this van if it was kept there.
Next place was a self store place which also offered caravan/mh storage.
They charged £390 for the year but charged me £430 due to being over 7.5m long. He was applying for COASSA at the time. I took it out of there because he'd parked me between two 5m caravans, so my extra £40 wasn't really getting me a parking place with better access or larger pitch than my neighbours. Plus dog crap everywhere and rusty nails.
Current place is £1 per day, COASSA registered payable annually.
And yes, I had to advise my insurance company who were more interested in what standard/level of COASSA they were.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
£255 a year. No electric and open air. Does have gates (locked) Not Cassoa but a working farm. Lots of caravans and a few MH. West Lancashire.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
We had a caravan stored in a farm barn and someone else's Motorhome caught fire, it took about ten others with it and melted our caravan.

Farmer didn't want to know, we claimed on our insurance....

£350 a year same out or in the barn, he had about 200 vans there....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back