What do people need to know about wild camping? (1 Viewer)

Hankandmarvin

Free Member
Dec 27, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Cclass swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi everyone,

I'm making videos of Wildcamping, shooting the pubs, local walks and activities for my you tube channel and wondered when people research areas for Wildcamping what do you look for? ?And what would you like to see in the videos?

Thank you.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I think the first thing you'd need to do is to define what YOU mean by "wild camping". It means very different things to different people. The only "official" definition refers exclusively to walking in and camping in tents, so that line is ruled out for you. It's probably best not to ask for other people's definitions as that could start an argument ? but to state YOUR definition & why you're following that line.

(For example your post above immediately rules your project outside of MY personal definition of "wild camping" ? )

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would think your videos should stress minimal impact. By that I mean not stopping anywhere which will annoy people such as overstaying in parking spaces. Then the environmental stuff such as responsibly disposing of all waste. :)

OP
OP
Hankandmarvin

Hankandmarvin

Free Member
Dec 27, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Cclass swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie
Are your videos aimed at identifying 'Wild' places to pitch a tent or motorhome, or are they focusing on what there is to see/do in a particular area when wild camping?
I'm unwilling to publicise my free/wild camping places.
I'm parking in and around pubs, so I'm filming the pub and then walks and activities. Would you mind having a look at my videos and giving me feedback please? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5kw-AldsCxxNis0CZCfAIw

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
It's just a set of adverts for meals in pubs which the OP probably had free for videoing a ad for the pub.
NOT Wildcamping. ?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi, not watched them all but you've produced some nice video there and you come over quite well. Add a little more emphasis/info on the overnight camping at the pubs and I imagine quite a few motorhomers will subscribe to your channel. Well done. (y)

Deleted User
I don't want to encourage more wild camping. Firstly there will be fewer places if more people do it and cause more nuiscance leading to prohibitions. Perhaps I'm a NIMBY.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I think the videos are really well done! Keep doing them and try not to put on too much weight eating all those fish platters!!!!

I would then link them to a Mao on a blog and make it available as a resource if I were you - great idea - let's see what you look like after 100 pubs :LOL:

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'm always a bit circumspect about promo videos since having obtained permission to film one is unlikely to meet a bolshy landlord or get a poor meal. Keeping the info updated could be a challenge.
The info ref dog friendly could be handy as a large number of Funsters have dogs, me included.
I rarely research or pre-plan trips beyond the first day as I prefer to follow my nose, hoping for surprises/adventures. When I have no option but to be organised (e.g. attending a particular event) the Britstops guide and/or Tripadvisor suit me.
I appreciate that the videos might be useful to motorhomers/tourists who evidently get enormous pleasure from carrying out detailed planning (and record keeping; mileages, where stopped, fuel consumption etc.).

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Are your videos aimed at identifying 'Wild' places to pitch a tent or motorhome, or are they focusing on what there is to see/do in a particular area when wild camping?

+1

My places are small and unspoilt, I reveal their location to only a few people.

Wild Camping is a wide brush.

To me, it is any or all of the following:

Free, but I know one where I pay the farmer.
Roll up, roll in, no bookings or reservations.
No facilities, maybe a water supply.
Maybe a portaloo.
No pitches, just afield, a wood, carpark, layby, or up a remote lane.
Not many other people, if any.
No street lights.
And the best for last:
I can open the habitation door, stand on the step and have a pee. :)

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
So it's freeloading rather than wildcamping.

Freeloading infers, to me, that I am depriving someone of something by pitching up there!

Freeloading would be overhearing a group discussing that they had just paid a local farmer a fee to overnight in his field.

When they leave, I follow them into the field but do not offer to contribute to the fee.

In New Zealand wilding is defined as Freedom Camping.

OP
OP
Hankandmarvin

Hankandmarvin

Free Member
Dec 27, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Cclass swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, not watched them all but you've produced some nice video there and you come over quite well. Add a little more emphasis/info on the overnight camping at the pubs and I imagine quite a few motorhomers will subscribe to your channel. Well done. (y)
When you say more about overnight camping, more shots of being in the motorhome at night? Or what the area is like when in the motorhome?
Sorry for the questions and thank you for your feedback

OP
OP
Hankandmarvin

Hankandmarvin

Free Member
Dec 27, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Cclass swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie
It's just a set of adverts for meals in pubs which the OP probably had free for videoing a ad for the pub.
NOT Wildcamping. ?
I don't know what OP means, and I pay for my food, I've not offered any adverts for pubs, this is a hobby I enjoy

OP
OP
Hankandmarvin

Hankandmarvin

Free Member
Dec 27, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Cclass swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie
I think the first thing you'd need to do is to define what YOU mean by "wild camping". It means very different things to different people. The only "official" definition refers exclusively to walking in and camping in tents, so that line is ruled out for you. It's probably best not to ask for other people's definitions as that could start an argument ? but to state YOUR definition & why you're following that line.

(For example your post above immediately rules your project outside of MY personal definition of "wild camping" ? )
Thank you for your Input, it means alot. I've not stated Wildcamping on the videos as since my partner died Ive been using the motorhome as an outlet to Get me out the house and film what I get up too. When the Bell pub (1st one) said I could film I thought this might be a good adventure for me

OP
OP
Hankandmarvin

Hankandmarvin

Free Member
Dec 27, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Cclass swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks you for your comment.
I would like to show places you can go to that's free to park, safe, and great food and drink, with an option to see the area before heading off to the next stop

OP
OP
Hankandmarvin

Hankandmarvin

Free Member
Dec 27, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Cclass swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie
I want to show places you can go To on the way through to somewhere else which is free to stay and has good food and drink, and if you want to see a little of the area whilst there you can

OP
OP
Hankandmarvin

Hankandmarvin

Free Member
Dec 27, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Cclass swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you, I've made three videos so far, never done editing before so Your comments are gold to my Ears, ?

OP
OP
Hankandmarvin

Hankandmarvin

Free Member
Dec 27, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Cclass swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie
So it is more about pubs, not being on the top of moors or at deserted beaches.
I am out.

Geoff
Its a mixture of the pub I'm parked at, the food the drink and the area, and the travel in hank, and of course being dog friendly

OP
OP
Hankandmarvin

Hankandmarvin

Free Member
Dec 27, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Cclass swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie
I think the videos are really well done! Keep doing them and try not to put on too much weight eating all those fish platters!!!!

I would then link them to a Mao on a blog and make it available as a resource if I were you - great idea - let's see what you look like after 100 pubs :LOL:
I'm hoping that the walks work off the platters lol ?
Thank you for your support

OP
OP
Hankandmarvin

Hankandmarvin

Free Member
Dec 27, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Cclass swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm always a bit circumspect about promo videos since having obtained permission to film one is unlikely to meet a bolshy landlord or get a poor meal. Keeping the info updated could be a challenge.
The info ref dog friendly could be handy as a large number of Funsters have dogs, me included.
I rarely research or pre-plan trips beyond the first day as I prefer to follow my nose, hoping for surprises/adventures. When I have no option but to be organised (e.g. attending a particular event) the Britstops guide and/or Tripadvisor suit me.
I appreciate that the videos might be useful to motorhomers/tourists who evidently get enormous pleasure from carrying out detailed planning (and record keeping; mileages, where stopped, fuel consumption etc.).
I appreciate your feedback, thank you

OP
OP
Hankandmarvin

Hankandmarvin

Free Member
Dec 27, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Cclass swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie
There are some real cynics on here sometimes ! Your posts seem very genuine so don’t be put off. If you enjoy it, keep doing it ?
Thank you.

I just wanted to make a hobby into something useful For others

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back