What do others use...????????? (1 Viewer)

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Drain in winter, then use puriclean when getting van ready for going out again. Drain fresh water, but not boiler, if van is sitting unused for a few weeks (as it is at present). Dont want the stale water just sitting there. But we use the water from the tank as we do water at home: washing, cooking, in kettle for hot drinks and also for cold drinks.
If in doubt, use some puriclean.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I used what Lenny advised food quality citric acid.
don’t do what I did I put too much in and it took 4 rinses to clear the lemon taste.😄😄

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
We use 5ltr water container for tea/coffee and water, tank is used for all other stuff.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Aquasol tablets for us, although we only use the onboard fresh water for personal washing, toilet and dishwashing. we normally buy a cheap 5ltr bottle water from supermarket for tea/coffee.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Like you Mo. 5 Ltr bottle of water from tap & only use tank for washing and washing up
Haven't bothered to clean tank as it's difficult the way I have to park at home
Same here.it stops the worry.BUSBY

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Boiling will kill any bugs, so no need to filter; and sorry but doubt if your fridge filter will take them out either for cold drinks.
Our fridge draws directly from our mains cold supply so if that has bugs then we have bugs :giggle:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
old-mo. I used to use cheap white vinegar in 5 x litre containers from the cash & carry, which certainly did the job, but I am a citric acid convert now, and use it not only to sterilise, but also to descale taps, showerheads, and kettles.

Also, if it's good enough for breweries and food processing plants, it's good enough for me. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We don’t use water from the tank for tea and coffee as it seems a bit daft with the tank being small on a PVC and we fill it with a watering can so tend to have a 5litre bottle of water on the floor which we fill the kettle from. It gets filled from the campsite tap. With daily showers, hand washing etc I reckon the tank gets flushed through pretty well. Perfectly happy to clean my teeth from it, I have low standards says the doctor !

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We never “sterilise” our fresh water tank.

We drain it completely if it is to be stood for any time between uses and then rinse fresh water through it before refilling.

We have been doing that in all our motorhomes for over 30 years with no ill effects.

On only one occasion have we thought it necessary to sterilise the tank. That was after topping up with water that looked brackish while in the Landes region of France. Locals told us “it is always that colour and is safe to drink” but, on that occasion, we did run sterilising fluid through the system before our next top-up.

However, I can understand people who feel the need to be “careful” following their own procedures. Each to their own decision.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I think the Milton is fine everywhere if you follow their instructions and only leave in for 15 minutes and then flush through so no Milton left to taste at the taps. I’m pretty sure that was the instructions too in my Swift manual. I used to do 2 full flushes of everything and then test on the 3rd. We never drink or cook from our own tanks either & use a 5L food grade container for drinking water which we then filter through a Britta, throughout Europe, before drinking. Made life much easier than when we used to buy those big 8L bottles on our bikes😜. Never had any problems

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Always used the tank water for everything except a glass of water.
Never been ill (except from dodgy red wine.)
Puraclean maxi before setting off.
1tab does 250 let.
Mitch.

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
To sanitise and clean the inside of your fresh water tank....

Wont use our on-board water for tea and drinking till it is done...

Not sure how long it has been standing with a few gallons in...

At the moment we use a half gallon container for fresh water for tea and doing our teeth..
Wifey's toothbrush (when she is asleep) :Eeek:

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
We used aquatabs in the rollalong with the ambi. We havent used anything on our current inboard tank. We carry a 5 ltr container for drink as Carolyn likes a lot of water, sipping all day. I worked on lighthouses and lightvessels for over 5 years living on very old storage tank water. Never heard of any keepers or other maintenance staff being ill from it. Prior to pipes water on land stations it was collected rainwater fro huge areas penned off for collection

Bjwwil

Free Member
Oct 11, 2020
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Majestic285
Exp
We do not bother doing anything. I drain it in winter and reckon most microbes die off in the cold. and leave it full if it is standing as their is less oxygen in there to assist breeding.

I have drunk the water for 12 years(Basia drinks bottled) but we use it for coffee/cooking.

I did the same on my boat for 30+ years, but that was a s/s tank.

I am sure some Medic or Paranoic will come along and say I am 'at risk' - well I have taken the 'risk' for 40 of my near 80 years and am still here. I am more cautious about eating water melon in cholera areas.

Geoff
I'm a medic, we use the tank water for tea and coffee, we just shove it through a filter first.....no nasty effects yet 😁

Bjwwil

Free Member
Oct 11, 2020
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Majestic285
Exp
We do not bother doing anything. I drain it in winter and reckon most microbes die off in the cold. and leave it full if it is standing as their is less oxygen in there to assist breeding.

I have drunk the water for 12 years(Basia drinks bottled) but we use it for coffee/cooking.

I did the same on my boat for 30+ years, but that was a s/s tank.

I am sure some Medic or Paranoic will come along and say I am 'at risk' - well I have taken the 'risk' for 40 of my near 80 years and am still here. I am more cautious about eating water melon in cholera areas.

Geoff
I'm a medic, we use the tank water for tea and coffee, we just shove it through a filter first.....no nasty effects yet 😁

Yorkie Steve

Free Member
May 18, 2018
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner T740
Exp
Since 2018
We use Puriclean at the start of the season, fill the tank and leave overnight, then drain and refill to flush out. Also use it in our watering cans used for filling up the water tank and the two 5L bottles we fill up on site for drinking water after using water filter. Only use tank water for washing and dishwashing etc. Works for us. I’ve seen that some use food grade citric acid so might give that a go too 👍🏻

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
I cleaned and flushed mine with purslane when I got then let Marley dog take the first taste and he didn't keel over so I had a cup of tea and its been ever since

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I’ve seen that some use food grade citric acid so might give that a go too 👍🏻
I don't think you'll be disappointed Steve. The solution for sterilising is less than that for descaling, but right now, I can't remember the exact doses, however the hot water tank gets the higher dose.

HTH,

Jock. :)

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We use puraclean.
We use this on our catering equipment tanks as well, the reason been that the health inspectors accept this as safe and necessary when we are working.

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
I drain the tank and the hot water heater after every trip. Next time out I fill with fresh water the night before plus a small dose of Elsil and off we go. Use it for everything including just a glass of drinking water. Never any problems so don’t intend changing practice.

Jan 7, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 A Class
Exp
Since 2013
Puriclean works well. I’ve just done my system. Mix in watering can, fill, circulate around entire system and leave for 12 hours. Drain system, refill and drain again. Job done - £7.99 from Amazon with free delivery.

Jun 7, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace Liner
Exp
Since 1980
Bicarbonate of Soda, with Lemon citric acid, once a year cleans, level sensors and lime scale.
No residual taste.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back