Ben9090

Free Member
Jan 12, 2017
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E495
Exp
Just got out first motorhome and it came with a hook up lead. What else do I need to use campsites & French aires. Hoses? Tap adaptors etc?
Thanks

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
A map and a sense of humour.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands.
Get one of the Hozeloc type connector sets from B&Q or local garden centre. Much cheaper than camping shops. They will fit most taps you come across (not all though, I came across one about 1" diameter! And that was in Scotland) Alternatively look out for those that I have left behind when filling up, they are all over France! :LOL:

Be aware that France and other countries across Europe use different brands of gas. You will not find Calor. Each has differing bottles with different connections. Buy it at petrol stations.

Wyn

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
For aires I'd consider a way of getting fresh water into your tank and grey water out of your tank without having to drive over the service point, where queues inevitably form, especially in the mornings. A decent sized watering can is handy for fresh water, and a decent sized plastic jerry can for grey water. A fresh water hose will be useful in some cases.

I also carry a pair of manhole keys in case I need to lift a lid or grille to empty the loo cartridge.

Levelling ramps will help your fridge work properly and may make restful sleep easier. You'll rapidly see the logic of having a solar panel and a refillable gas cylinder if you spend much time on aires. Your EHU cable will then become redundant. On that subject, EHU points can be few and far between on some European campsites so you might want to consider an EHU extension cable.

If you're not going to be hooked up to a 230v supply, make sure you have 12v chargers/adapters for any gadgets you want to run. The 12v/USB ciggie lighter type plugs are handy here.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
From my first experience, does the van have a leisure battery and gas cylinder. I did know The romahome had no leisure battery, but my first van had the gas and battery removed after seeing and before picking it up. Should have checked, but thought the person i bought it from was honest, had known him for years.
Get a pen and paper talk yourself through your day from getting up, everything you need and use. Most you can buy wherever you go but no bog roll on a sunday night in the middle of nowhere would not be pleasant.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If you want to keep your drinking water separate from your tanked water and go to France you will need 2 x 5 litre water containers, a decanter and a funnel. This will give you 5 litres of water if you run out of wine !

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Watering can, bucket, corkscrew, Michelin France Atlas, and a sense of adventure.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi, the full list of things you might need would be a long one. I'd like to bet that you can find a tick list somewhere online, possibly even on the MHF website! Some items are mad anatomy, some are essential, and some will depend upon your preferences and priorities. Gary

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Gone, but maybe still reading !

There are two lists......
One contains stuff you need
The second contains stuff you THINK you need.

List #2 will invariably be longer the list #1 and the contents may never be used.

Upvote 0
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I've not long completed 3000 miles in my van and still not remembered to throw some tea towels in. No shop I have tried on any sites have had them and I am sick of drying the dishes with kitchen roll :(

You have the hook up lead but do you have the different (UK/europe) adaptors?

As mentioned, a good length of hose with various fittings is pretty damn handy along with the levelling blocks. Some basic tools is always worth keeping somewhere also.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Most important thing, whisky, however, after that, you'll need levelling ramps. A hose of some description to fill up with water. That's pretty much the MH essentials, the rest you'll pick up as you go along. You'll find yourself somewhere and you say, "Oooh! I wish I had [insert random object here]" and you'll go off and buy it :D

Oh and
w2f

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back