What did you see at Calais (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Its a while now since the latest stories about immigrants trying to get in/on motorhomes at the ferry ports or eurotunnel.

I am sure there will be quite a few members who have travelled back to the UK by these means since then and I am equally sure that there are many members either about to go to France or who are already there and due to return in weeks/months.

It would be very helpful if members returning to the UK were to post what they saw or experienced themselves during the return so that others can be as informed on the current situation as possible.

Please, just actual first and reports of experience, either positive or negative and please no discussion on what should or should not be done with asylum seekers or who should do it. Just first hand information. That is of course if you have any to give.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We would be interested to know the trouble spots too as we are travelling twice this winter.

Luckily we have no bike rack or ladder on the back to cling on to!

Apr 20, 2009
norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
i have already posted on another thread but as said we came home from calias yesterday morning on the 9.40 p and o ferry we had spent 24 hours around the area before sailing and yes there are lots of immigrants around but i believe common sense is all that is needed . when we stocked up in supermarkets ect one of us stayed in the van we decided not to sleep in calais to be on the safe side. although there seemed to be a lot of security for the trucks we were only asked where we had slept the night before . think how many boats sail everyday this kind of thing thats on tv at the moment actually on the port is unusual. i wouldnt worry to much just be sensible and vigilant . hope everybody going to france has a great trip as we did.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
We came home through Calais a couple of weeks ago strait in from Gravelines no stopping till in the port. whilst waiting for a couple of hours to board in the afternoon i noticed there were mostly Romanian vehicles around us and the border security were having a good look in a few of their vehicles and their empty trailers around us and took a couple away i think to question further about the contents ?
They were also using the co2 detectors under the curtains of the lorries. we saw one truck pulled aside and after about 20 mins of searching they pulled a guy from under it. On that day they seemed to be trying hard to make sure no illegals were getting through but im not sure it would be that tight at other times when not being there as early and hanging around for the ships gave them ample time to be as thorough ?
Dover no stops strait out into the country.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
when we came back on bank holiday monday ( the rainy day) we had seen something very very
scary indeed.
10 lt boxs of wine.......................that would really upset my doctor.
seriously dispite the very sevier warning from boarder control we did not see any woild be imigrants, perhaps the duck tape wont stick in the rain.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Came through Calais this afternoon. About 30 main delay at passport control but otherwise no problems. We drove around Calais on the motorway and did see half a dozen 'possible' walking on the motorway (!)

Security once inside the port looked well organised and transparent.

We did stop at Cities Europe for some more wine and the parking area for MH's looked and felt safe.

With commonsense...... No real worries.

Oh, nearly forgot to say we stayed in Wissant Aire last night.... Full but again no problems and felt quite safe.

Enjoy the trip and don't worry too much

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We visited Calais Auchan briefly then returned via Eurotunnel in a car this morning and saw no sign of any lurkers or (literally) hangers-on near the roads, entrances or fences.

adriacoral

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
We travelled back at the end of August, noticed a few more than usual hanging around the motorway, but none in port, security didn't seem any more than normal.use common sense, don't camp too near to Calais, we drove for an hour then straight onto the ferry.
Have slept at aire in Calais in the past with no problems as us motorhomes all look out for each other!

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
Travelled back via Eurotunnel on Tuesday saw 3-4 illegals walking just outside the perimeter fence next to the pet check-in area. Had to leave the van to get the dog scanned - we were then searched by border control (inside & under the van once through passport control). I noticed on the way out they have a lot of makeshift camps in the bushes under the road bridges leading to the port etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back