What did you not do before driving off in the van? (1 Viewer)

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Saw a big German Carthago drive out the site (Titisee) with his right side big garage door (hinges at top), open I was too far away to do anything, I hope it ended well!.

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
First time on a grass pitch I forgot to raise the rear steady legs.
Drove off stopped after a few yards to two neatly ploughed furrows and a slightly cockeyed steady.
They are the first thing we check for on departure.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
The wife's handbag is a Tardis but never assume she has everything in it!, like venue tickets, cash, your mobile phone & charger, to name a few.
Always try and load up the Fridge Freezer the day/night before you leave, if you dont and do it on the morning of leaving, you will probably be late arriving anywhere before 4PM.
Both of you do the "Pre Flight Checks" inside windows, door latches & roof light, Fridge locks, Outside, The EHU lead, all locker doors, check underneath van especially on leaving rallies, that you have not put something under the van "to keep it dry":eek:
Check indicators & Brake lights, tyre pressures if you haven't in a while.
Don't place too much faith in your sat nag, follow road signs, have a pre route list of towns, road numbers written down.
Last but not least these days, dont trust the LPG apps, ring first if you can to get a status update, many are out of order on arrival or have not had a gas delivery from their supplier.
Having done all this, we will still screw up, beginning to think its just part of the whole MH experience.
Have Fun Out There(y);)
LES

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Funny you asked this. Just watched the van next pitch drive off with his legs down (on hard standing) some noise.

May 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
I’ve learned to pack the eggs properly since opening cupboard door and them splatting over the floor. 😂

We did that with a coffee jar. I grabbed it as it fell, but caught the lid. The lid came off, covering the seat with coffee granules and the jar bashed MrsM on the arm on the way down. She ended up with a lovely big bruise, and when she went for a jab a couple of days later said the medics seemed concerned I was beating her up!

Otherwise we do the normal drive along and a cupboard door opens thing.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Had a rear Kitchen on our G Reg Pilote, forgot to batton down the bolts that locked the Cabinet Doors
All went well before we had to anchor up, (Country Road:doh: Tourist coming the other way that thought his Fiesta was 9feet wide:doh:)
Had the contents of the cabinets ricochet around the cab, stopped when we could safely,. Maureen had a lot to answer to!!
Why do we need 3 Ginger Graters? a dozen Teaspoons? 4 saucepan lids and only 2 saucepans? 6 of those Egg Ring thingees!?

Her answer?

"Because!!":doh:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I hang water cap on the bike rack with keys in you guessed it arrived atoday destination got looked at hole where cap should be.:crying::crying: looked at bike rack after an hour and a half motorway driving they were still where I left them:clap2::clap2:

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
When we were on a site in Rudehiem we were backed up on to blocks because of the slopping pitch. I drove off the blocks with the rear steadies down. The blocks were about a foot high.
One leg wound most of the way back up the other had to be removed. Thinking I had done terminal damage I was surprised that I only needed two new threaded rods.

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Not our motorhome, but one year in Menorca we hired a car with a removable roof. Yep, you’ve guessed it, took the roof off, packed the car and drove off without the roof. Got back at the end of the day and it was still there.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Fridge door is our usual 'trick' ... although our current one needs adjusting so even when we give it a good shove to secure it, it still comes open sometimes! :rolleyes: We have an early warning system though ... our Tazzy decides to hide in the passenger footwell so we know something's amiss! :giggle:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Our N + B has a chest of drawers under the bed and 3 large wide drawers in the Kitchen both with locking systems. We have lost count of the number of times drawers have come out! We are lucky not to have had any breakages or damage!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We also have a check list for checking the house before we leave: windows locked, fridge emptied, TV and computers turned off, but most important, washing machine and rubbish bin emptied. Once had to phone keyholding neighbour as we had left fish wrappers in the bin and another time the last minute washing was still in machine!
We have a packing list (done by locker / drawer so we know what is supposed to be where), a home list and also a pre-flight check list.

Our usual issue is that we stop somewhere for a break and something gets left unfastened - usually a drawer. The thing we usually forget to double check is that the drop down bed (manual) hasn't worked it's was a small amount down the straps. It's not a safety issue but it makes a noise as it rubs against the blind housing.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
The photo reminds me of something that happened to me when I worked as a postie back in the '80s. I left the sorting office in my car to do my 2nd delivery. As I drove down the main street I was aware of a cop car behind me with his blue lights and siren going, I looked in the mirror and he was pointing for me to pull over, so I pulled up into a very busy bus stop outside Woolworths.

I rolled down my window, 'What's the problem officer?' I said. He said, 'Do you realise it's dangerous and illegal to have anything hanging off your vehicle?' I looked at him puzzled and he said 'why don't you get out and have a look?'
As I got out I was aware that all the folk at the bus stop were laughing and talking amongst themselves. The cop led me to the back of the car and there on the ground was a little black lace bra tied to the bumper with about 6ft of string! He stood over me as I tried to untie the impossible knot in front of my amused audience, it seemed to take forever, Never felt so embarrassed in my life. :Eeek:

Next morning back at the sorting office I got a rousing cheer from my work mates, many who knew about before I even left the day before. It turned out that one of the drivers was emptying one of the post boxes and had found the bra, it wasn't unusual for the drivers to find sometimes disgusting items in the post boxes. The joke was over so I threw the bra in the bin.
Three weeks later it was back on my car again:doh::doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back