Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
done this one last year cant find the old on but her it go's
I fixed my starter motor replacing bushings and brushes.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Tried to fix the hall light by tracking down right light bulb to fit. But no, that didn't fix it so now have to look at the dimmer switch and possibly/ probably replace that. Another trip to B&Q.

But I made 5 fairy doors---they're very pretty!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I finally fitted the frost alarm thingee/ min/max temp/clock, that I bought ages ago, that's been sitting in the glove box

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Tried to fix the hall light by tracking down right light bulb to fit. But no, that didn't fix it so now have to look at the dimmer switch and possibly/ probably replace that. Another trip to B&Q.

But I made 5 fairy doors---they're very pretty!

What's a fairy door, please?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I fixed it so that my secretary never , ever , ever again gets permission to have a day off on my first day back from holiday :mad:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Trying to fix my reversing light/indicator unit to avoid paying silly money for a new one. Currently replacing a well-rusted terminal with a strip of metal snipped from (of all things) an empty Polaroid film pack.

Jackyboy61

Free Member
Jun 6, 2014
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Sanded all the woodwork in the spare bedroom and under coated ,ready for glossing tomorrow ,knackered now time for a glass of grape juice me thinks hic
hic (y);):LOL: .

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I'm attempting to dye the original curtains ....first batch of dye changed from green to blue ...im hoping this second batch will give me the grey I want lol

So currently not fixed but hopefully will be :)

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
just fixed the front door lock,,,pins in barrel fell out......off to scotland on wednesday so needed doing asap....all secure again.......(y)

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Changed one of my roof vents to a mini heki .....got another to do tommorrow

What a difference they make

I'd like to source a full size one and make the front vent bigger but im reluctant to pay £350-£400 for one do will keep am eye on the breakers yard

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I replaced the 3 lever lock on the back door to a 5 lever lock. (Insurance demands it)

Did it just slot in when the old one came out? Of course not!

Lots of chiseling and drilling later it looks better fitted than the original and that was done by a tradesman.

:cooler:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
A while ago I bought a grass sweeper/collector secondhand, being sold as it was breaking the drive gears and replacement wheels cost £77 plus postage each. I stripped it and replaced a number of bearings then turned my attention to the gears, they are plastic and cast as part of the wheel so I resolved to improve the design and make a replacement gear out of aluminium. After preparing the blank I mounted it in a dividing head on the vertical mill. (yup those who have seem my man cave often wonder if I actually use any of it).

With a little nifty maths the correct involute cutter was determined to be 10DP and 56 teeth needed cutting
Eventually a gear was produced and fitted. Tried in place and it runs perfectly. Magic. I may as well make one for the other end as well to halve the wear, should last me a few years.
Finally fitted in place

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
A while ago I bought a grass sweeper/collector secondhand, being sold as it was breaking the drive gears and replacement wheels cost £77 plus postage each. I stripped it and replaced a number of bearings then turned my attention to the gears, they are plastic and cast as part of the wheel so I resolved to improve the design and make a replacement gear out of aluminium. After preparing the blank I mounted it in a dividing head on the vertical mill. (yup those who have seem my man cave often wonder if I actually use any of it).

With a little nifty maths the correct involute cutter was determined to be 10DP and 56 teeth needed cutting
Eventually a gear was produced and fitted. Tried in place and it runs perfectly. Magic. I may as well make one for the other end as well to halve the wear, should last me a few years.
Finally fitted in place
look's like a nice job roger

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
View media item 12512
What's a fairy door, please?

Fairy doors --- little wooden doors, 10 cms high, painted and decorated with moss, buttons, flowers, jewels. Place in your house or garden to let the fairies in!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Today I "fixed" a wicker garden set, bought at auction couple of months ago.
Chairs were grubby grey, table was olive green with glass top thickly painted in olive green paint.

It's now all matching Paris Grey with fabric under the now clear glass. Looks a lot better.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I finished putting the downstairs bog back together today. The end of several days work after we found the floor was rotten. Everything had to come out. Great fun, two tubes of Fernox leak sealer used. I am may have mentioned Fernox before!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
This evening I fixed our dodgy Remis rooflight.

The cables were covered in gunk and the gearbox was also full of the fluff which is incorporated into the cables. Why the cables are coated in fluff, I have no idea. Anyway, I wire brushed the stuff off and the cables now engage much more effectively in their worm drives.
I added a good dollop of grease, put the gearbox back together and it all works faultlessly with much less effort than before.

Job done!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I fixed two air source heat pumps, then mowed the lawn at our caravan and tidied the garden.

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
I fixed the horn on my M H . Sounds so easy but it wasn't. How do you find a horn in a Fiat Ducato engine compartment when you cant hear it? When you do eventually get a hand on it cos you cant see it you then have to take the indicator and headlamp unit out, which means taking off the lower front rail. Who'd have thought all that to put a second hand horn costing a fiver from a scrap yard

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I finished putting the downstairs bog back together today. The end of several days work after we found the floor was rotten. Everything had to come out. Great fun, two tubes of Fernox leak sealer used. I am may have mentioned Fernox before!
And in future if you can't aim better ...sit down :p

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm trying to fix the Camos dome that came with my MH. It's very, very, noisy and takes longer to lock on to a satellite than it used to take me to lift out the dish, connect it to the van, find the satellite, then sit down with a cuppa. I am NOT exaggerating. Then, because the previous owner of the van thought it would be a good idea to fit the type you can use when the van is in motion, it sets off again if someone enters or leaves the van. It only takes 5 minutes or so under those circumstance. I also bought an Oyster dish recently with no control box - I might convert that to manual if I can figure out the circuit board. If anyone has a dead or dying Oyster I'd like to buy it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back