What could be flattening my starter battery? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
G-RMPS
Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
The EBL has now recharged my battery OK - which leaves finding the root cause of a 20-amp fuse blowing. The step wouldn't retract today - but was helped on its way with a shove while the rocker switch was leaned on. A dose of WD40 fixed that.

Could a sticking step cause the 20-amp fuse to blow, perhaps?

Cheers...Keith

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The step fuse is the one on the EBL29 front panel labelled 'Grundlicht/Trittestufe'. 25Amps.

The 20A fuse you are talking about has two functions. When the engine is off, it carries current from the EBL mains charger to the starter battery. When the engine is running, it carries current from the alternator/starter battery to the fridge 12V heater element. It doesn't have any effect on the step circuit.

If the 20A fuse has blown then, unless the Battery cutoff relay is faulty, there is no current path from the EBL and leisure battery to the starter battery.
The only thing that has changed recently is I noted that I left the step extended. Could this possibly be draining the battery?
No, I leave the step extended for weeks on the drive at home or in storage. Even if the step switch was faulty (staying on when you release it), it should only drain the leisure battery not the starter battery.

You can download the EBL29 manual from the Schaudt web site. You give them your email address and they send you a link to download it from. Choose the Union jack option for the english version.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G-RMPS
Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
The step fuse is the one on the EBL29 front panel labelled 'Grundlicht/Trittestufe'. 25Amps.

The 20A fuse you are talking about has two functions. When the engine is off, it carries current from the EBL mains charger to the starter battery. When the engine is running, it carries current from the alternator/starter battery to the fridge 12V heater element. It doesn't have any effect on the step circuit.

If the 20A fuse has blown then, unless the Battery cutoff relay is faulty, there is no current path from the EBL and leisure battery to the starter battery.

No, I leave the step extended for weeks on the drive at home or in storage. Even if the step switch was faulty (staying on when you release it), it should only drain the leisure battery not the starter battery.

You can download the EBL29 manual from the Schaudt web site. You give them your email address and they send you a link to download it from. Choose the Union jack option for the english version.

Very informative, thanks. I already have the EBL manual - doesn't necessarily mean I understand it ;-)
I'll check the fridge then if it's OK I'll call it a day I think.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back