What "corner steadies" do you guys use? Recommendations required! (1 Viewer)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We had our first motorhome almost two years, when Janie watched someone put their steadies down, 😉 and said that's what we could do with, 😁 I said we have them. 🙄😲
She is lucky if the levellers come out now. 😁 Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Must admit that I didn't even know these were fitted until a few months in to ownership, only found them whilst fitting an inverter earth strap.

View attachment 411809
Had these drop down steadies, but they were so close to the wheel to be pretty useless. Also, the heights were not flexible. I had them taken off.

As has been said several times, not sure why you would bother. Extra weight for nearly no benefit.

However, if you are set, look underneath and see how far your chassis member extends under the back of your bus. If there are mounting points towards the back, you could consider wind downs. Not the scissor types you see on tuggers, you need something like these:

alko steady 1.jpg

or
alko steady 2.jpg

The second type seems to be less available here. Alko Australia sells them but I haven't seen them in UK.

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
Had these drop down steadies, but they were so close to the wheel to be pretty useless. Also, the heights were not flexible. I had them taken off.

As has been said several times, not sure why you would bother. Extra weight for nearly no benefit.

However, if you are set, look underneath and see how far your chassis member extends under the back of your bus. If there are mounting points towards the back, you could consider wind downs. Not the scissor types you see on tuggers, you need something like these:

View attachment 412437
or
View attachment 412438

The second type seems to be less available here. Alko Australia sells them but I haven't seen them in UK.
We have the pair in the photo with the winder. They were fitted by Alko in Southam when we had the Sawiko scooter+bike rack fitted. They are telescopic but I always put a pair of jack pads underneath each one to act as shock absorbers, especially when the ground slopes away a bit.
We think they are great, as we have a long overhang behind the back wheels.

OP
OP
RustyRuss
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Deep Owl I think that’s what I’m going to go for. DDJC i don’t suppose you still have them? If so how much ££ do you want including postage? Or are you within say 50 miles radius of Liverpool/Runcorn/Chester area?
Send me a PM?
Thanks Both!!

Russ

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Deep Owl I think that’s what I’m going to go for. DDJC i don’t suppose you still have them? If so how much ££ do you want including postage? Or are you within say 50 miles radius of Liverpool/Runcorn/Chester area?
Send me a PM?
Thanks Both!!

Russ
Sorry mate. When the workshop took them off, I assume they went in the bin.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sorry mate. When the workshop took them off, I assume they went in the bin.
... called Ebay ... :giggle:

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I have the wind down steadies shown above with the handle. Mine are manufacturer fitted (Adria) and I really rate them. Our moho is 7.2m long and you really notice when one of you is moving about, if the other one isn’t. Although this is massively reduced having fitted air assist on the rear. Ours have a fail safe that they will fold if you drive off with them down, but only if you drive off forward. This is something we haven’t tested as I put the wind handle across the pedals to remind me that they are down.

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
You already have 1 corner steady supplied with your van. The jack ! Just buy another from eBay & you have 2 steadies.
Cheap, cheerful & only a little extra weight to carry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back