What can i tow? (1 Viewer)

M

MammaLL

Deleted User
Is it possible to tow a small 2 berth caravan (for a teenage son) behind an RV?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yes, Its possible to tow a very large caravan for all his mates too:thumb:
Geo

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Here's a simple calculation to answer your question. The terms assume you're talking about an "American RV".

Towing capacity = (GCWR - GVWR)

GCWR = gross combined weight rating for the RV. (Equivalent of the Train Weight).
GVWR = gross vehicle weight rating for the RV. (Equivalent of the Maximum Authorised Mass).

There will usually be a metal plate near the driver's seat stating the GCWR and GVWR. They might also be stated on a sheet of paper stuck to the inside of a cupboard.

The caravan weight should not exceed the calculated towing capacity.

One additional rating to be concerned about is the rating of the tow hitch on the back of RV. In some cases, the tow hitch is rated either far less than or far greater than the above calculation. Having a calculated towing capacity of, say, 5,000 lbs (2,500 kg) is meaningless if the hitch is rated at 3,500 lbs (1,750 kg). The hitch will have a label on it stating its capacity.

Depending on the distribution of weight on the caravan, you might also need to be concerned about the tongue weight, which should not exceed the tongue weight rating of the hitch. The maximum tongue weight will be on a label attached to the hitch. Rarely is this a problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
I'm curious ....

Does anyone know the range of weights of caravans in the UK?

OP
OP
M

MammaLL

Deleted User
Thanks...

Thanks for your replies. thats good to hear. We want to full time but we also need to consider the needs of our soon to be teenage son.

Do you think would we pay double campsite fees?

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Do you think would we pay double campsite fees?

That might depend on how many sites (pitches) you occupy. I suspect you won't find too many places where the coach and the caravan both fit in one.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I'm curious ....

Does anyone know the range of weights of caravans in the UK?
Hi Tom compared to American caravans we mesure ours in OUNCES:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
There is nothing that comes close to American RV towing limits unless you count our attempts at 5th wheelers:Doh:
Geo

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years

We tow our 2 ton Jeep behind our RV on an A frame with no problems at all :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
::bigsmile:Im still wating for the clip of him reversing back in:Eeek:

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Linda,

I should have qualified my earlier reply with the word safely. We tow a Chevy Suburban, weighs 7,000 lbs (3,500 kg), but I weighed the coach, did the sums, and added air brakes to the Suburban.

Some of the things I see people tow &/or what they use for towing are just plain unsafe. We spend a lot of time online and in person attempting to educate people on safety issues, but some folks choose to be oblivious.

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Geo, John,

Thanks for replies. I just couldn't recall what my Dad's Astral used to weigh when he dragged it all over the UK. IIRC the towing speed limit in those days was based on the ratio of tow vehicle weight to towed weight, and I seem to recall he had to put a speed limit sign on the back of the caravan.

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Linda,

I should have qualified my earlier reply with the word safely. We tow a Chevy Suburban, weighs 7,000 lbs (3,500 kg), but I weighed the coach, did the sums, and added air brakes to the Suburban.

Some of the things I see people tow &/or what they use for towing are just plain unsafe. We spend a lot of time online and in person attempting to educate people on safety issues, but some folks choose to be oblivious.

Sure Tom, I posted it as a joke :winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Hi Mammall.

its all down to when you passed your test.

i think if before 1997 then yes, you'd only be restricted by the weight of the caravan/ RV combination, which, with an American RV shouldnt be a problem.
recommendation is caravan should weight no more than 85% of the towing vehicle and never more than 100% but with an RV i dont think this will apply somehow...:RollEyes:

if after 1997 then, unless you have taken a trailer test, you will be restricted to a 750kg trailer/caravan.

john.

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Sure Tom, I posted it as a joke

I know, but I read posts suggesting people think that anything can be towed with an "RV".

Last edited by a moderator:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back