LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Gus is right, it's restricted to tricycle. That class first came out in 2013 so that explains the date 👍

It was when they changed tricycles to be a special form of Category 'A' (motorbike), rather than a special form of Category 'B' (cars/light commericals) that they had been previously.

They gave grandfather rights to previous car licence holders as a "A 79(3)" code so they could continue to drive their existing Reliant Robins.
Thanks everyone for your advice. I've done some extra research as well and I THINK! I can ride a 50cc /30mph moped with a passenger (no L Plates). This would be slow and difficult to keep up with traffic two up so too dangerous in my opinion. OR a trike scooter of any size (as long as the wheels are of a certain distance apart). The smallest is a 125cc. Looks like it would do the job but is heavy so would probably need a trailer. OR take the full motorbike training and test then the world is my oyster 🙂
Have I summed it up correctly?

Yes. If you only want a 125cc, you can just take the CBT and run around solo for a few months to learn and take your tests with no need to pay a fortune to learn on big bikes. Indeed, even if you're taking direct access if you are an experienced driver, I'd recommend learning on the 125cc by yourself (make sure you do loads of manoevuring) and then do the direct access course already knowing how to ride.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Maybe I should look at one of those 3 wheel scooters with the twin front wheels?
My son has a 3 wheel scooter, a Piaggio MP3. It's very heavy, 250kg. I had to build him a trailer for it when he went on a 3 month Europe tour from Scandinavia down to Italy and back across France.
Trailer 2.jpg

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Can I suggest you contact your local motorcycle training centre and get some training and a full license

Once you have passed the test you will have a lot more options and probably be a lot safer

In addition, you would be part of the wonderful world of motorcycling - it's great 🙂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
When ever I see a youngster riding a 125cc with L plates, I try to engage in conversation with them. I encourage them to take their test if possible before they move to cars. The testing procedure just gets harder over the years.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
When ever I see a youngster riding a 125cc with L plates, I try to engage in conversation with them. I encourage them to take their test if possible before they move to cars. The testing procedure just gets harder over the years.

I actually quite like the division between the manoeuvuring and main driving around test. You can make sure your otherwise flawless test isn't wasted by a cheeky foot down going around the cones.

However, I don't much see the point of retaking for full bike having passed an A2. The bikes are basically the same with or without a restrictor (often just a switch set before the test). You'd never go fast enough to need to overcome the restrictor. You're basically just taking the same test again.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I actually quite like the division between the manoeuvuring and main driving around test. You can make sure your otherwise flawless test isn't wasted by a cheeky foot down going around the cones.

However, I don't much see the point of retaking for full bike having passed an A2. The bikes are basically the same with or without a restrictor (often just a switch set before the test). You'd never go fast enough to need to overcome the restrictor. You're basically just taking the same test again.
Do you still get the full licence automatically after having the A2 for two years? I seem to half remember this being the case when the A2 licence first appeared.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Do you still get the full licence automatically after having the A2 for two years? I seem to half remember this being the case when the A2 licence first appeared.

No. You now have to re-take. Usually on exactly the same bike (the training organisation will typically use 650cc bikes that can be switched between A2 and A power ratings so they don't need to run twice as many bikes).

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
No point in doing half a job. Do it properly once and its a good job done. Start from scratch and get a full license and all options are open. You maybe enjoying cruising on a Goldwing next year.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
No point in doing half a job. Do it properly once and its a good job done. Start from scratch and get a full license and all options are open. You maybe enjoying cruising on a Goldwing next year.

Yes, once you're over 24, there's no point in doing the A2 licence. It is exactly the same test, on exactly the same bike, for exactly the same cost, just with a slide switch set in a different position. You only take the A2 because you're not old enough to take A.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
So my only option is a 50cc / 30mph unless I take a full test?. Maybe I should look at one of those 3 wheel scooters with the twin front wheels?
Heres the challenge if you dont want to take a CBT and/or bike test

Your licence allows you to ride a 50cc scooter without L plates and WITH a pillion
however, unless you are thin as rakes, it wont take the weight of two

Your “A” category is restricted to trikes

Your car licence means you could ride, for example, a Piaggio MP3 ...BUT...be warned that insurance might be cost prohibitive, as few if any, car insurers will insure one, and bike insurers that do, will load the premium as you haven't got a full bike licence
Just saying so that you dont commit to one and then get a shock

I assume that you are trying to solve the mobility on sites issue

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
What about that Yamaha Niken thing, 3 wheels same as the piaggio but 900cc on tap, got to be 120 brake hos 👌😎

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
Don't know if this is any use saw quite a few quad bikes on trailers being towed by motorhomes while we were in France this summer.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Purchased my 500cc MP3 new 8 years ago, used it as a second vehicle at home and towed it with MH. took it to Spain a couple of times. More cost (tunnel double the price) and hassle but well worth it if staying away a while.

Never ridden anything before, crazy that you can ride it, carry a pillion and not wear a helmet if you so choose.

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Don't know if this is any use saw quite a few quad bikes on trailers being towed by motorhomes while we were in France this summer.
Haha, I'm not sure my wife would be happy buzzing around town on the back of a quad 🤔

Jan 22, 2020
East Mids
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Heres the challenge if you dont want to take a CBT and/or bike test

Your licence allows you to ride a 50cc scooter without L plates and WITH a pillion
however, unless you are thin as rakes, it wont take the weight of two

Your “A” category is restricted to trikes

Your car licence means you could ride, for example, a Piaggio MP3 ...BUT...be warned that insurance might be cost prohibitive, as few if any, car insurers will insure one, and bike insurers that do, will load the premium as you haven't got a full bike licence
Just saying so that you dont commit to one and then get a shock

I assume that you are trying to solve the mobility on sites issue
When the Yamaha tricity 300 came out , I asked one insurer for a quote. It was so new they didn't have it on the system. The quote was £8400 a bargain considering the bike was £7547 ::LOL::giggle: Hopefully better quotes are available (y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You have A but have 79 (3) - restricted to tricycles on it so you have not passed a motorcycle test. You should have A with no code next to it So you can ride up to 125 cc with L plates
Or a 500cc Piaggio MP3 wide track :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just had another look at 79(3) and while it's restricted to tricycles it doesn't state a max CC or horsepower so technically any trike you want.... The sky's the limit

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Same categories as mine so you can ride any bike you like.

Motorcycles​

Category A1​

You can drive light motorbikes with:

• an engine size up to 125cc
  • a power output of up to 11kW
  • a power to weight ratio not more than 0.1kW/kg
This category also includes motor tricycles with power output up to 15kW.

Category A2​

You can drive motorbikes with a:

• power output up to 35kW
  • power to weight ratio not more than 0.2kW/kg
The motorbike must also not be derived from a vehicle of more than double its power.

You can also drive motorbikes in category A1.

Category A​

You can drive:

• motorbikes with a power output more than 35kW or a power to weight ratio more than 0.2kW/kg
  • motor tricycles with a power output more than 15kW
You can also drive motorbikes in categories A1 and A2.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I have a 300cc Scooter Kawasaki J300 weight maybe a problem in or on the motorhome, I tow mine in a trailer

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Question re M/cycle licences in EU.

Are all EU driving licences standardised with the same categories of AM, A1, A2, A as UK licences?

And do the notes in column 12 have the same meanings, e.g. 01, 79(3) ?

I am asking because I am about to swap my UK licence for a Polish one.

Geoff

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Question re M/cycle licences in EU.

Are all EU driving licences standardised with the same categories of AM, A1, A2, A as UK licences?

And do the notes in column 12 have the same meanings, e.g. 01, 79(3) ?

I am asking because I am about to swap my UK licence for a Polish one.

Geoff
I don’t think they are as I think kids of 14 can ride mopeds in France which they cannot here.

Gixer

Free Member
Dec 16, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
2018 Chausson EB
Exp
None
I would second [third....] the advice - get some training, after 45 years of biking, I still learn stuff, and I see idiots who haven't got a clue - Rule 1 - always assume everyone else is trying to kill you !!

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I took my I took my test 50 years ago and the roads were a lot quieter then, I totally agree you have to ride now as though everyone else on the road is trying to kill you. I would advise anybody riding a motorbike now to get some training first if you want to survive.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I did my full licence about 25 years ago, but the DVLA "lost" my entitlement about 15 years ago :rolleyes:

Earlier this year I bought a 50cc for the back of our van, but soon got tired of 30mph. So, I bought a 125 a few weeks back, although I was annoyed as hell that I had to go and do a CBT.

But - so glad I did. After 15 years off a bike, the refresher was good. After a few hours it had all come back.

I'll do my full licence again when the weather lifts.

So I'd echo what others have said - just go for a full licence (y)

IMG_20201207_140405.jpg

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
As the chief of the Canadian Motorcycle Police said,

“There’s only two types of motorcycle rider, those that have been off, and those that are coming off”

I took the CBT after many years of not riding, still came off doh! :eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back