What can I keep in the gas locker? Possible daft question! (1 Viewer)

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Never Heard of a nylon shirt ban offshore, I have worked offshore for 30 plus years and have never had my skiddies inspected
Aye well I can beat that, been at this game for nigh on 50. The bloke that taught my Hazardous Areas course was the Dept of Energy Chief Investigator into Piper Alpha and Ocean Odyssey, so I'm guessing he knew what he was talking about, and as I say the demo was impressive. There certainly was a ban on nylon clothing (workgear) on drill floors in Odeco and later in other drilling companies I worked for, before I regained my sanity and moved to dive support vessels.
Not that anyone was daft enough to want to wear nylon, I suspect the chemicals used in the drilling mud back then would fuse your nylon jockstrap to your nether parts nicely:D:D and while drilling folk tended to fear naught back when they used manpower and not sissy hydraulics I think even some of those guys would have jibbed at inspecting your underwear:roflmto:

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Granted it might be in the microamp region but there is voltage and there is current.

Sorry Eddie I have to agree. In hazardous areas for sensing purposes there would be an intrinsically safe barrier upstream in a safe area that ensured that the current is so low it cannot spark at the switch contacts as the switch opens.
But for anything to detect a change of state there must be a change in the electrical circuit. Of course a reed switch is inside a tiny capsule which I doubt could hold enough gas to ignite anyway, it would only become a possible danger if the encapsulation was broken.

I still feel perfectly comfortable with your installation and don't expect it blow me up but @Enword has made a valid point and I won't be keeping my cheroots matches and rather fetching Tutankhamun ashtray in the gas locker anymore:D

davethespark

Free Member
Apr 6, 2016
Middlesbrough
Funster No
MH
Just looking befor buying
Exp
Did a three week grand tour of Spain
Aye well I can beat that, been at this game for nigh on 50. The bloke that taught my Hazardous Areas course was the Dept of Energy Chief Investigator into Piper Alpha and Ocean Odyssey, so I'm guessing he knew what he was talking about, and as I say the demo was impressive. There certainly was a ban on nylon clothing (workgear) on drill floors in Odeco and later in other drilling companies I worked for, before I regained my sanity and moved to dive support vessels.
Not that anyone was daft enough to want to wear nylon, I suspect the chemicals used in the drilling mud back then would fuse your nylon jockstrap to your nether parts nicely:D:D and while drilling folk tended to fear naught back when they used manpower and not sissy hydraulics I think even some of those guys would have jibbed at inspecting your underwear:roflmto:

Is that the sound of splitting hairs I hear. The reason for no nylon coveralls was not because they might generate a spark ,rather they would melt and stick to any one unfortunate enough to be in a fire . Hence we all wore Flamguard approved rompersuits ,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Is that the sound of splitting hairs I hear. The reason for no nylon coveralls was not because they might generate a spark ,rather they would melt and stick to any one unfortunate enough to be in a fire . Hence we all wore Flamguard approved rompersuits ,
Aye true that was the main reason, but the static charge was another reason, nylon clothing building a static charge by guys wearing nicely insulated rig boots especially in hot dry climates can produce a really nice zap. When I started there wasn't Flameguard and lots of us wore tin hard hats usually nicely engraved and pattern beaten to the individuals fancy and hence completely useless if anything actually landed on your head..

I also thought back then that 6 foot stilson wrenches came manufactured with a bend in the handle especially for offshore use until I saw how they actually got that way... Ahh those were the days....(y)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
OK when I get back in the workshop I will measure exactly what happens when a encapsulated reed switch, that is Normally Closed, connected to Negative one side and sensed by the diode protected alarm input goes open circuit

:LOL: Then I will spray some petrol and methanol on the switch and do it again(y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
OK when I get back in the workshop I will measure exactly what happens when a encapsulated reed switch, that is Normally Closed, connected to Negative one side and sensed by the diode protected alarm input goes open circuit

:LOL: Then I will spray some petrol and methanol on the switch and do it again(y)
That reminds me of a test I had to do to convince my Father that an under-car paraffin heater was safe. It was one of those that employed a fine gauze over an open flame (Davey Lamp principle). I was of an age where I had to prove I was right so I threw half a cup of petrol over it when it was lit. No petrol outside the gauze burned. My Father couldn't believe what he was seeing. I was just relieved - and right (for once):D.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
That reminds me of a test I had to do to convince my Father that an under-car paraffin heater was safe. It was one of those that employed a fine gauze over an open flame (Davey Lamp principle). I was of an age where I had to prove I was right so I threw half a cup of petrol over it when it was lit. No petrol outside the gauze burned. My Father couldn't believe what he was seeing. I was just relieved - and right (for once):D.
That was bloody cruel! But I liked it:ROFLMAO:

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now

So what voltage did you measure Eddie ?

Bet you didn't get an explosion by spraying onto the switch tho !!

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Obviously my refillable gas cylinders (dont use that gaslow rubbish, I got calor and a fitting to refill them from e bay, works a treat), My fireworks for bonfire night, 5 litres of petrol, my unsealed lead acid battery constantly on charge, and my paraffin hurrican lamp so I can see inside there when its dark, oh and the box of vesta matches so I can light my lamp, oh yeah i blocked them stupid holes in the floor up cos it makes my kindling and tinder damp for my wood burning stove.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No room for anything other than the gas bottles in ours. But before I fitted the second one I had all sorts in there.. What ever needed a home at the time in fact !

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I keep some vegetables in there as they stay nice and cool. In really cold weather though, they freeze. We once found a sprout tree in there 5 weeks after we were supposed to have eaten the sprouts for Christmas dinner! Colins face was a picture when he opened the locker, on a garage forecourt, and pulled out the Sprouts! The other customers thought it was hilarious. :rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I have one 11kg gaslow cylinder, the Cadac and the Lidl Florabest charcoal BBQ.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back