What can I keep in the gas locker? Possible daft question! (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I did, and I designed a system that cannot and will not produce a spark

Stop digging a hole OR provide a real life situation wher you can make a spark from a N/C negative switching circuit

IE put up or shut up
I did, and I designed a system that cannot and will not produce a spark

Stop digging a hole OR provide a real life situation wher you can make a spark from a N/C negative switching circuit

IE put up or shut up

Or, tell me what happens to the voltage on the side of the magnet switch not tied to ground when the door opens.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Or, tell me what happens to the voltage on the side of the magnet switch not tied to ground when the door opens.

It stays at 0VDC

The same as the metal gas locker and the copper gas pipe connected to the regulator

It is NOT a 12 volt circuit

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
It stays at 0VDC

The same as the metal gas locker and the copper gas pipe connected to the regulator

It is NOT a 12 volt circuit

I admit it has been a few years since I was involved in designing electronic circuitry, but this has me baffled. You have a circuit that when when the switch opens the wire feeding it stays at the same voltage 0v as it did when the switch was closed to ground, again 0v, but the circuit sees a change of state.

Would it be possible for you to post a diagram (with component values) of the front end of this circuit ? It may have many applications beyond your alarm systems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
I'd put more effort into making sure you don't have a leak and not worry about a bullet proof switch.
This DIY alarm won't have certification either unless you spend a lot of money so do you think the insurance company will accept it ?
Is there a CAT DIY ?

Obviously the DIY alarm would not be certified, but I could knock a decent one together, either using a Rasberry Pi or discreet components for about £50, which would be perimeter and internal protection. Maybe even experiment with an internal camera which gives an internal view of the MH via a smart phone on alarm activation. Given that my insurance is £400 per year and getting a good alarm fitted such as Eddie produces may cost £1000, then the 5% or thereabouts discount from the insurance Co. would not make economic sense. I would tell the Insurance Co that I had produced and fitted my own, but not expect them to give a discount.

Back in the day, the 80s, when cars really needed alarms we made a canny sideline producing and fitting car alarms.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My vanbitz alarm has been repaying the initial cost for 8 yrs without issue
Great value and peace of mind and nobody has ever blown up :LOL:
Most insurance insist on a recognised alarm

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I admit it has been a few years since I was involved in designing electronic circuitry, but this has me baffled. You have a circuit that when when the switch opens the wire feeding it stays at the same voltage 0v as it did when the switch was closed to ground, again 0v, but the circuit sees a change of state.

Would it be possible for you to post a diagram (with component values) of the front end of this circuit ? It may have many applications beyond your alarm systems.
No, it would be copied by all the dealers.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Obviously the DIY alarm would not be certified, but I could knock a decent one together, either using a Rasberry Pi or discreet components for about £50, which would be perimeter and internal protection. Maybe even experiment with an internal camera which gives an internal view of the MH via a smart phone on alarm activation. Given that my insurance is £400 per year and getting a good alarm fitted such as Eddie produces may cost £1000, then the 5% or thereabouts discount from the insurance Co. would not make economic sense. I would tell the Insurance Co that I had produced and fitted my own, but not expect them to give a discount.

Back in the day, the 80s, when cars really needed alarms we made a canny sideline producing and fitting car alarms.
How would you turn the alarm on and off?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Why would you need an alarm?? There's no-one ever around to hear it, and there are so many going off these days that even if it was heard, no one would give a damn. Is the object of the exercise just to stop a contents thief, or to stop the van being nicked?? o_O

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I would tell the Insurance Co that I had produced and fitted my own, but not expect them to give a discount.

Most insurance insist on a recognised alarm

Our van won't be covered for theft (contents or whole vehicle) until the alarm is fitted. It has to be one from the insurance company's list. Okay, one view point is that this is "cash for the boys" but another is that it keeps standards up and rogue fitters out of business.

We are hoping to have an underslung LPG tank fitted and will then use the gas locker for the genny. At the moment there is only a small gas bottle in there plus the wheel chocks.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Why would you need an alarm?? There's no-one ever around to hear it, and there are so many going off these days that even if it was heard, no one would give a damn. Is the object of the exercise just to stop a contents thief, or to stop the van being nicked?? o_O
My alarm is integrated with my unique boiler controller and phone. If the alarm is triggered I will get a text immediately.
There is nothing better than sleeping in a van that is protected. Everyone will certainly know about it including me while I get my baseball bat.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Our van won't be covered for theft (contents or whole vehicle) until the alarm is fitted. It has to be one from the insurance company's list. Okay, one view point is that this is "cash for the boys" but another is that it keeps standards up and rogue fitters out of business.

We are hoping to have an underslung LPG tank fitted and will then use the gas locker for the genny. At the moment there is only a small gas bottle in there plus the wheel chocks.
Well I can recommend Eddie's system, they did a lovely job of the install (once I got there.. See separate post on trials and tribulations of Garmin Gerhardt). Oh and it hasn't blown us up yet.... Now if Eddie could rig it to blow up any imps pimps or banjo players trying to nick stuff out of RH, I might go for that upgrade...:D

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
Our van won't be covered for theft (contents or whole vehicle) until the
alarm is fitted. It has to be one from the insurance company's list. Okay, one view point is that this is "cash for the boys" but another is that it keeps standards up and rogue fitters out of business.

Luckily our van is cheap enough that the Insurance Co do not insist on an alarm fitted by a dealer.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Luckily our van is cheap enough that the Insurance Co do not insist on an alarm fitted by a dealer.

the last one was cheap enough so the insurance co wasn't worried but with a new van ..... Eddie's boys did a fantastic job. Martin pulled a face when I told him how much I expected it to cost but even he is impressed with the system and the install.

Cornish Farm is a lovely site ..... we will be back!!!!

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
So is it wrong of me lifting gas locker door & using it as a smoking shelter?

evira

Free Member
Oct 22, 2015
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
since 2002
intresting thread, as one qualified poster has already noted; the gas locker, given it's design and that of the bottles, is regarded as a safe area and therefor you don't need certified electrical equipment in there. you wouldn't have regulator heaters or automated valves never mind an uncertified alarm circuit, regardless of how well encapsulated or intrinsically safe the vanbitz one is.
the manual probably does say keep nothing else in there for a reason though. using a competent gas fitter and maintaining and inspecting the system is probably a more important consideration for safety.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Is it ok if i keep my canary in gas locker , i come from a mining family .

Feb 2, 2011
Travelling Europe
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
3 years caravaning 5th year motorhoming
Just one thing about your gaslow system. When you fill the bottles from your external point the bottles should actually be turned off. This is made clear on the gaslow Web site. The rest is fine if it does not spark it's OK.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
intresting thread, as one qualified poster has already noted; the gas locker, given it's design and that of the bottles, is regarded as a safe area and therefor you don't need certified electrical equipment in there. you wouldn't have regulator heaters or automated valves never mind an uncertified alarm circuit, regardless of how well encapsulated or intrinsically safe the vanbitz one is.
the manual probably does say keep nothing else in there for a reason though. using a competent gas fitter and maintaining and inspecting the system is probably a more important consideration for safety.[/.
Need to find another place for my gas bottles now :sneaky: !

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Just one thing about your gaslow system. When you fill the bottles from your external point the bottles should actually be turned off. This is made clear on the gaslow Web site. The rest is fine if it does not spark it's OK.
O deer Ben doing it wrong for for years and three vans

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
Going to find somewhere else to keep my gas bottles now:emo:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
But it is a sensing connection

Normally Closed to 0 volts

If the door is open the connection goes to infinity and the alarm will trigger

It's not like a car alarm circuit designed to go on a pin switch and has 12vdc either side

No switching voltage at all

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp

It's not like a car alarm circuit designed to go on a pin switch and has 12vdc either side

I have no doubt in your expertise, not going to change a long time habit ,

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Eddie ... MHF's very own "Buzz Lightyear"!!! :D

davethespark

Free Member
Apr 6, 2016
Middlesbrough
Funster No
MH
Just looking befor buying
Exp
Did a three week grand tour of Spain
Beleive me there is a HUGE amount of energy in static electricity. One of the demonstrations on one of my courses was done using a nylon shirt (remember them) hence a ban offshore on such clothing materials..
The thing with gas though is you have to have enough but not too much so don't make it possible for it to accumulate and then it doesn't matter a hoot how many pairs of nylon jockstraps your nearest and dearest is wearing tonight, the flashing lights you see will probably be caused by something else entirely..;)

Never Heard of a nylon shirt ban offshore, I have worked offshore for 30 plus years and have never had my skiddies inspected

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Don't be silly, you can't sense an open/closed switch without some voltage driving a small current.

Granted it might be in the microamp region but there is voltage and there is current.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back