What can i do? (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
We took charge of our new m/h on 2nd January.All was well till the snow thaw when we noticed water coming in through the front roof light, phoned the dealer who said it seem the rubbers have perished, book it in and we will do the job.(12 month warranty). Booked it for 14th Feb along with having fresh water tank winterised(cost to me £179). Night before heavy so when we moved the m/h water came through roof light. On arrival told all work would take approx 4 hours,after 6 hours (now 5pm) tank job done, they put hose pipe over roof, no water inside m/h so said they did'nt do the rubbers as they dont need doing. Short of calling me a liar they say the only way the water gets in is it depends of the direction of the rain and it comes through the air vent in the roof light, what air vents?
Can I go to an independant dealer for inspection and advice or will this affect my warranty.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi GOldies some roof vents have a gap built in. You can get some draught excluder and stick it around the vents, this stops the wind blowing it over the vent which should not happen but depending on wind direction can :Eeek: Any checking you have done will not affect your warranty :Smile:
Terry

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Why did you need to have the tank winterised? On the 786 that we had, and the one Fisherman 8 has, the tank was inboard under the bed.

We did once have rain blow in through the front roof light but that was during a particularly windy storm. The construction of the light is a double skin that allows ventilation and will let water through under extreme circumstances.

Lunarman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
You could, in writing, inform your dealer, that you are not happy with the outcome of his investigation. You should inform him that you have taken advice, and will be submitting the MH to another dealer for an independant inspection. You could also advise him that after the investigation, you will furnish him with all findings, and offer him the opportunity to act on them, this will protect both of your future interest's. You should also inform him that if the findings concur, perhaps he could suggest a modification to prevent further water ingress (this, unfortunatley, would be at YOUR expense).
Not all dealers are crooks or bad traders, sometimes you have to be clear on what you want and and what you expect from them.

I had a water ingress problem, it went back for repair, which did not cure the fault. I refused a further repair, and wa going down the above route, but in the meantime, persuaded the dealer that it was probably i his best interest to buy the van back from me. We had had it just under a year, I accepted £500 below what i paid for it, seemed fair for one years rental of a van so to speak.
The fault you describe, may be a manufacturers design fault, and not down to the dealer, work with them to sort it,......or offload the van.:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goldenoldies
May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
Why did you need to have the tank winterised? On the 786 that we had, and the one Fisherman 8 has, the tank was inboard under the bed.

We did once have rain blow in through the front roof light but that was during a particularly windy storm. The construction of the light is a double skin that allows ventilation and will let water through under extreme circumstances.

Lunarman

We had the tank winterised because three sides and the underneath were exposed only one side forms part of wall on the secondry floor.
The roof light in question is remote controlled and has at least a 2" lip on it, so not sure where the dealer is coming from.

Letsgetaway

Free Member
Jun 24, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Caravan for 4 years; new to motorhoming
Hi there

We had the same problem with the roof light in our old camper . The dealer (despite us saying the the seal seems to have come away from the roof at one corner of the light) was adamant that it was the wind blowing the water in vent and it was a common problem. We took the van in and left it with them. With hindsight, we're sure they didn't even bother looking at the seal but assured it was all ok we went home and put a slow running hose on the roof as advised by other Funsters. Needless to say it began to leak (may be worth giving this a go yourself even though the dealers claim they'd already done it).
After ringing and taking it back again they removed the whole vent and resealed it and surprise, surprise no more leaks.

Good luck
Simon & Rachel

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Spooky! This appears to be the same problem I have just found myself with! Took delivery of our van on 8th Feb, had it rained on a few times with no problems but on collecting the van from storage a mere six days later, but after a night of heavy snow, found that the rear rooflight had leaked badly, soaking the rear floor and seats.:cry:

I've taken it straight back to the dealers who have been fine about it, and agreed to remove and refit the rooflight to ensure the seal is fully up to scratch. I'll let you know how I get on.

Simon
::bigsmile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Have to say I have noticed a few spots of rain - sort of like 'very light drizzle' - do blow in our rooflights occasionally if you stand underneath them, due to the positioning of the air vents and wholly dependent on the the direction of the wind and the type of rain.

It's not a problem, just a surprise to feel it on our faces whenever it does happen!

We have carpet directly under both, no furniture or anything - and have never noticed a damp patch.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
roof vents

I just can`t believe i`m reading this, Roof Vents leaking, dealers saying it depends on which way the wind is blowing, rain will get in, what a load of fob you off rubbish.

We have owned sailing vessels that sit out in the ocean on a mooring, tied up to pontoons in marinas, sailed from the uk across The Bay of Biscay to Greece and the coach roof vents which do breath don`t let any water through.
It never amazes me that water ingress in a motorhome or caravan seems to be an ownership hazard and will one day happen.
Whilst our yacht moored out at sea is talcom powder dry.

Something is very wrong here.:Doh:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Whilst agreeing with you that the rooflights on most yachts etc don't leak, I don't actually think the construction and support of that part of the roof of the vessels - ie the floor when you are up top - are either as lightweight or flexible as that of your average MoHo.

Even though it wasn't encouraged by Cap'n' Jim - I could easily have tap-danced all across the deck and rooflights of the 39 ft Westerley Sea Hawk yacht an ex-employer owned, at least whilst it was 'parked' at Camper & Nicholson's in Gosport, if not whilst circumnavigating Wight. The roof/deck has to take the weight of say an 18stone man or several of them even up the pointy end.

I frankly doubt if the roof of any Eurobox let alone the rooflight, would withstand same.

(But what do I know, just a weak and feeble woman etc etc)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Sorry, only just seen this thread and don't have long on computer so can't read all the posts........ sorry if repeating what others have said.

Some weeks ago I had the same problem and put a post on here. I was worried sick as I can't do repairs myself and they tend to be costly. Several people answered and put my mind at rest. ... apparently when it snows or the rain is very, very heavy this can happen as the melting snow/rain stays on the roof .... bit like a swimming pool.... and it DOES somehow leak in ... water can get anywhere. John Cross told me to put the van on chocs in such a way that it is leaning ... I did this straight away ... popped my head through the roof light and brushed any existing snow or water off roof... I opened the inside doors and put the heater on for half an hour to start the drying out process off. Within two days everything was dry and despite further rain and snow the problem has not come back. Might be worth you trying it.

Repeat, sorry if this already said.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I just can`t believe i`m reading this, Roof Vents leaking, dealers saying it depends on which way the wind is blowing, rain will get in, what a load of fob you off rubbish.

We have owned sailing vessels that sit out in the ocean on a mooring, tied up to pontoons in marinas, sailed from the uk across The Bay of Biscay to Greece and the coach roof vents which do breath don`t let any water through.
It never amazes me that water ingress in a motorhome or caravan seems to be an ownership hazard and will one day happen.
Whilst our yacht moored out at sea is talcom powder dry.

Something is very wrong here.:Doh:
Hi Rob, I have a Heiki 900 x 600 roof and can guarantee it does not leak, but on 2 occasions I have opened the blind and got soaked :Eeek:It comes with a 3 ins high upstand and a quarter ins gap (standard) in the clear top---after fitting the draft excluder around 5 yrs ago it has never let water blow in etc, but the only conclusion I can come to as to where the water came from is wind and rain:Eeek: If anyone would have told me wind etc I would never have thought it but evidence says different :thumb:Obviously there are different makes of roof lights out there
Terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back