Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
I don’t do Facebook but I might try gumtree or a couple of forums I use (outside this one)

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
I use a Samsung phone for everyday snapshots taken on the fly.
I have a Panasonic lumix LX5 for when I want a high quality result to top the smartphone.
For macro and nature photography I use a Canon 7D with an assortment of lenses, 300mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro, 200mm f2.8, 20mm f2.8, but I mostly use my 100mm IS macro and 300mm IS telephoto.
I have always preferred natural light so I very rarely use flash but do lug one about with me just in case.
A small lightweight Manfroto tripod for when I'm using a hide and for some macro work.
That pretty much covers all the bases for me so I'm never short on choices.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I use a Samsung phone for everyday snapshots taken on the fly.
I have a Panasonic lumix LX5 for when I want a high quality result to top the smartphone.
For macro and nature photography I use a Canon 7D with an assortment of lenses, 300mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro, 200mm f2.8, 20mm f2.8, but I mostly use my 100mm IS macro and 300mm IS telephoto.
I have always preferred natural light so I very rarely use flash but do lug one about with me just in case.
A small lightweight Manfroto tripod for when I'm using a hide and for some macro work.
That pretty much covers all the bases for me so I'm never short on choices.
The LX5 is a decent camera, as is the 7D.

I used to have the 5Dmkiii and a stack of lenses like you, although you have more fast primes. My favourite was the 100-400mm L IS and 70-200 f2.8 L IS for portraits. But together you’re talking 3Kg, so I went mirrorless. To be honest the quality isn’t much different, except the Fuji is ISO invariant, so I can raise shadows in PP without and banding or noise creeping in.

The X-T3 +100-400mm is less than 2Kg. I also have the 56mm f1.2, 35mm f1.4 and 16mm f1.4. But the biggest difference is the wysiwyg viewfinder. Adjusting the exposure, you can see in the viewfinder what the shot looks like and with the histogram you get everything you need to get perfect exposure without chimping the back. I’m using a monopod if I use the 1.4 extender.

When I go birding , most people seem to have the Nikon D500. Here’s a shot of a red kite I took with the Fiji a few weeks ago.

0327AB85-5630-4644-8B7D-366EB4D300C1.jpeg

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
Unless you are going to buy more lenses I’d avoid an slr.
I’ve put mine to one side now.
I am really pleased with my Sony DSC-HX9V, had it for a while now super image quality.
Pity it doesn’t have a viewfinder, awkward into bright sun.
So, looking for a replacement at some point.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Fuji X Series Mirrorless.. not cheap but the images are superb....

I started with an X Pro 1 (that I may sell at some point) but now I have an XT-2
Another vote for Fuji mirrorless cameras. I bought an XE-3 for our travels - much more compact than a DSLR and the quality of photos is outstanding.

I bought mine with an 18-55 F2.8 zoom, which is brilliant, and picked up a 27mm pancake lens off ebay which is also brilliant - and tiny, making the body and lens small enough to go in a pocket. Perfect for evenings out, and it means I am much more likely to have my camera with me - after all, the best camera in the world is the one you have with you when you need it!

Totally auto or as creative as you want to be.

Also, if such things are important to you, it looks gorgeous - a bit like a 70's rangefinder.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Bridge I also think will do you well (y)

I had the Canon SX60 which I loved, then in a fit of need to buy something I bought the Nikon Coolpix P900 which I really like

It has the equivalent of a 2000mm lens, which is awesome and costs around £500 (y)

Identical to me. I have both those cameras. I love my P900. I am a bit of a birder, and for the purpose of identification, it's perfect. (y)

May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Another vote for Fuji mirrorless cameras. I bought an XE-3 for our travels - much more compact than a DSLR and the quality of photos is outstanding.

I bought mine with an 18-55 F2.8 zoom, which is brilliant, and picked up a 27mm pancake lens off ebay which is also brilliant - and tiny, making the body and lens small enough to go in a pocket. Perfect for evenings out, and it means I am much more likely to have my camera with me - after all, the best camera in the world is the one you have with you when you need it!

Totally auto or as creative as you want to be.

Also, if such things are important to you, it looks gorgeous - a bit like a 70's rangefinder.
XE-3 has some great reviews and a real head turner, much like the X100F. I put a red shutter button on mine and it looks the part. :p

May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Identical to me. I have both those cameras. I love my P900. I am a bit of a birder, and for the purpose of identification, it's perfect. (y)
I bought the SX70 for bird identification and it works better than my Hawke binos because of the reach. Nearly bought the P900 as well because of it’s even better reach and the excellent quality in good light, but held off because I read the P1000 was coming out. When it came out, I couldn’t get over the size of it.

So when I go birding I have the SX70, bino’s and FujiX-T3 with 100-400m. All under 3kg. Which is nothing compared to the Kata bag full of Canon gear I used to carry.:p

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
That’s a great price. You could try the X Pro locally, on Facebook first, there’s no fee to pay.

I’m so pleased with this camera that when the X-H2 comes out, I’m going to buy that. Rumour has it, it’ll have the same processor and AF as X-T3 but with in-body stabilisation. For handheld wildlife shots I need the extra stability.
Finally got round to listing the X Pro 1 for sale... I'm also selling my 60mm XF F2.4R Macro lens as I rarely use it.

Looking to buy a wide angle lens or a simple prime with the proceeds.... If you know if any lenses for sale at reasonable prices please let me know

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Having been a advanced amateur photographer since leaving school 50 yrs ago I have used many cameras but I settled on Canon EOS system when it first came out in film then Digital.
I can vouch for the argument about DSLRs being heavy, I used to have a 1DX with 500mm telephoto but I ended up in hospital having a Hernia repaired.
Currently using 1DX2 with lenses ranging from 16mm to 150x600mm zoom and I am now considering ditching the 1DX2 for the much lighter and more capable Canon R5 mirrorless as it has eye focus which works stunningly well for wildlife. I will keep the lenses though and use an adapter.

there has been much quality advice on this thread, and all I will say is think about what you want to take photos of be it travel/landscapes, portraits etc work out how much you want to spend and then research cameras and lenses that have been reviewed in magazines and utube. b&h is an American utube site that does lots of reviews. have a look at www.wexphitovideo.com for new prices and www.mpb.com for 2nd hand.
There is so much choice that i would suggest you buy 2nd hand first get your hand in and developed your skills before you feel the need to buy a new camera.
good luck

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Daughter just bought first SLR - Canon EOS 77D. I persuaded her to pair it with a nice 18-135 Nano zoom.
Just out of box with someone who knows nothing about cameras she’s taking nice shots ... Sharp images with plenty of bokeh if that’s your thing.

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
Fuji X100 is the weapon I'd choose if I was buying again... The Fuji Miirrorless range is superb.

I'm using a Fuji X-T2 now and started with the X-Pro-1 when it first came out...

Any of the X100 versions would be a good choice of travel camera

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
Having been a advanced amateur photographer since leaving school 50 yrs ago I have used many cameras but I settled on Canon EOS system when it first came out in film then Digital.
I can vouch for the argument about DSLRs being heavy, I used to have a 1DX with 500mm telephoto but I ended up in hospital having a Hernia repaired.
Currently using 1DX2 with lenses ranging from 16mm to 150x600mm zoom and I am now considering ditching the 1DX2 for the much lighter and more capable Canon R5 mirrorless as it has eye focus which works stunningly well for wildlife. I will keep the lenses though and use an adapter.

there has been much quality advice on this thread, and all I will say is think about what you want to take photos of be it travel/landscapes, portraits etc work out how much you want to spend and then research cameras and lenses that have been reviewed in magazines and utube. b&h is an American utube site that does lots of reviews. have a look at www.wexphitovideo.com for new prices and www.mpb.com for 2nd hand.
There is so much choice that i would suggest you buy 2nd hand first get your hand in and developed your skills before you feel the need to buy a new camera.
good luck
Interested in how the lighter body paired to the heavier lens will balance. My 1dx is def heavy but the 500mm does feel balanced on it, as does the 70-200f2.8 mk11 which is just a brilliant lens.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Interested in how the lighter body paired to the heavier lens will balance. My 1dx is def heavy but the 500mm does feel balanced on it, as does the 70-200f2.8 mk11 which is just a brilliant lens.
Just waiting to get my hands on the R5 and I will let you know. I expect it will feel puny compared to 1DX but thats the idea, reduced weight means no more Hernias. 👏👏🤗🤗🤗🤗

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
One last point, maybe the most important one. Cameras are like paintbrushes.

It's possible to take great photos on every one of the above camera types AND it's possible to take terrible photos on them all as well.

Great photos and terrible photos aren't about the camera I'm afraid, it's the photographer.

Buying Leonardo DaVinci's paintbrushes won't make you a good, or bad, painter.
This is very true

Reminds me of the story about the photographer who went to a friends house for dinner

They asked to see some of his work so he pulled his website up on their computer, the wife commented , they're wonderful pictures, you must have a good camera

The sat and ate the meal after which the photographer said, that was a lovely meal, you must have a very good oven.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just waiting to get my hands on the R5 and I will let you know. I expect it will feel puny compared to 1DX but thats the idea, reduced weight means no more Hernias. 👏👏🤗🤗🤗🤗

I've got a 1Diii and a sigma 50-500 , it's like carrying Thor's hammer

I bought a Fuji XT3 because I thought, nice and light , then a 100-400 fuji lens but it was so unbalanced I had to buy the battery grip

1st trip out with it I looked at it and thought, i'm back where I started :D

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Hi, I'm interested in suggestions as to what camera to buy :) After a fairly decent digital slr type thingy for general holiday photo's, as you may gather I'm not an expert & currently use my iphone. Help :pray2:
For holidays and trips I’ve a Canon EOS760D I like. I’ve had several in that Canon mid range as it’s evolved. I use it with a great walk around lens (18-85? Need to check) and for wildlife a 75-300 lens.
But for gigs I used to use an iPhone. That was quite limited so I bought a Canon compact zoom. https://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/compacts/canon_sx620hs

The Canon SX620HS was the previous camera in the Canon compacts when I bought it so was nicely discounted 😜😎

At a basic level, It’s taking pics with a similar sensor quality to my iPhone but with a huge optical zoom.

I take it out more than the Canon DSLR for snapshots.
I chose a Canon compact as it keeps a similar settings system as the DSLR.

So I may’ve bought my last SLR.
Modern compacts are great holiday cameras.

I’d take my DSLR on any trip/holiday needing wildlife or sport tuning abilities.
On my new telescope the DSLR’s days are numbered too. It’s too heavy & I’ll be trying an iPhone mount ☹️/😀

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I've had one of these -the earlier version- for about five years now, it replaced my Fuji 6800. It's s stunning camera for the money, but I have to say I use it less and less these days as my Samsung J6+ camera is so good!
<Broken link removed>

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
The missus and I have both been into photography for years. Definately a hobby that works well with a motorhome :giggle:

I prefer mirrorless and use a Sony A7iii, which I'm really happy with.

Claira has always preferred a Canon DSLR. Although I've never really gotten on with DSLR's, I have to admit to liking her newer 90D.

I also use my Sony for video, which is really good, but for usual day-to-day stuff use my iPhone. It's "good enough" for most shots (y)

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Do you really need more than the SLR and an iPhone?

I decided ages ago that was enough for me.

But then I am a crap photographer.
We have a compact SLR type with a 40 times zooming with a very wide angle made by Fuji and my wife has svery small camera, also with 40x zoom but not so great on wide angle. We have used the former on a safari in Tanzania and got a useable image of a rhino at 1 mile distant using the digital zoom 2x. I use my iPhone a lot for taking stuff that acts reminders or for notes on such as I have today noted the data on the underside of a church router for the internet to see if we can improve it.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
We have a compact SLR type with a 40 times zooming with a very wide angle made by Fuji and my wife has svery small camera, also with 40x zoom but not so great on wide angle. We have used the former on a safari in Tanzania and got a useable image of a rhino at 1 mile distant using the digital zoom 2x. I use my iPhone a lot for taking stuff that acts reminders or for notes on such as I have today noted the data on the underside of a church router for the internet to see if we can improve it.
Just been looking.
My current compact is a 2016 Canon Powershot SX620 (x25). Superseded by two cameras.
The newest one is the 2018 Canon Powershot SX740 - similar to mine but with a x40 optical zoom.
740 = Focal length (equiv.) 24–960 mm
620 = Focal length (equiv.) 25–625 mm

Crazy zooms available nowadays. The Canon bods will probably have a newer Powershot SXxxx soon. When they do, look for the SX740 at discount ;)

But my advice, never go to digital zoom in a camera. Keep to the optical zoom.
You can crop later if needed.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
You just missed one on MPB like new £200 of new price.
Cannot believe someone has got rid of an R5 😱
I have mine and love it + the 100-500 combination is so light compared to 1DX2 and 100-400 and more versatile too. I can carry it around all day.
Just ordered the RF 24-105 to replace my ageing (13 yr old) EF 24-105. Canon let me borrow one for a few days and the RF is so much sharper, AF is great and I like the junction ring on the lens, didn’t realise I needed it til I tried it.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Otter Spotter Canon is giving money back on the R5 and most RF lenses.
I think you have to buy the lens and body within 3 months of each other so I may be just out, but I got the 24-105 for £1020 from uk camera club With the loyalty discount.

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
The best camera is . . . the one you have with you.

Fuji mirrorless here as well - XT3.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back