LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thinking of replacing my 4 year old Lumix FZ330 bridge camera for a dslr ..

Some back ground

I am fairly experienced photographer
First half decent camera was probably a 35mm Helena ( proper budget !) and moving on through various 2 1/4 square format cameras ( Rolleiflex etc ) along with a myriad of 35mm ones, including early Asahi Pentax and the like.
I finally sold off my entire darkroom only 4 or 5 years ago

Interests include macro photography, candid portraits, occasional scenery and general 'people pictures'

What does the panel think and recommend ?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
It's a real dilemma.
I think it depends on how committed you are to the hobby...
I also have an [very] old Lumix Bridge [FZ150] but that only gets taken out when I know I want to take high resolution photos... been thinking of updating/upgrading...:cautious:
I also have a compact tough pocket lumix for when I think I'm going somewhere where I might want to take photos...
...but generally I seem to mostly use my phone, which doesn't have a very good nor reliable camera :rolleyes:, but is always with me.

So I'd suggest that unless you're going out & about specifically to take photos, and you either want to produce large prints, and/or significantly crop images that the gear isn't so important.

My choice is to upgrade my phone to a Samsung S9+* because it will meet 90% of my photographic needs...

*it's probably not the best camera available on a phone right now - but it's one of the best & good enough along with the complete package...

...it's stopped/delayed my "need" to upgrade my phone, my ancient Hudl2 tablet, my old Toshiba laptop, my old cameras [x2], all of which function but are feeling their age...

So by my logic, buying a new phone has saved me thousands :D2

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It's a real dilemma.
I think it depends on how committed you are to the hobby...
I also have an [very] old Lumix Bridge [FZ150] but that only gets taken out when I know I want to take high resolution photos... been thinking of updating/upgrading...:cautious:
I also have a compact tough pocket lumix for when I think I'm going somewhere where I might want to take photos...
...but generally I seem to mostly use my phone, which doesn't have a very good nor reliable camera :rolleyes:, but is always with me.

So I'd suggest that unless you're going out & about specifically to take photos, and you either want to produce large prints, and/or significantly crop images that the gear isn't so important.

My choice is to upgrade my phone to a Samsung S9+* because it will meet 90% of my photographic needs...

*it's probably not the best camera available on a phone right now - but it's one of the best & good enough along with the complete package...

...it's stopped/delayed my "need" to upgrade my phone, my ancient Hudl2 tablet, my old Toshiba laptop, my old cameras [x2], all of which function but are feeling their age...

So by my logic, buying a new phone has saved me thousands :D2

Like you, I use a Lumix compact from the FS series for every day stuff.. It hangs from my belt in a case so is always handy

But I use the bridge for more serious stuff.... And as I am thinking about rejoining a photographic society again the thought of an upgrade sprung to mind...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
So, as far as I understand it - the priority should be sensor size & quality of the lens(es).

I must admit, that unless I had very specific needs, I still would consider a high end bridge.
...but I guess it depends on your budget.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Stick with a bridge Camera Sony RX10 IV is hard to beat.

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
I’m assuming you want 35 mm eqivalent so I would 1st of all consider whether you want a SLR or mirrorless. I’ve been wedded to Nikon SLRs for 40 years so I’m biased but I have recently purchased a Sony A7 and I have to say that I’m very impressed. Stupid iso of @ 250,000, silent, pick your own sync speed and very well built. I’ve only got 3 lenses but they seem excellent bits of glass.
You won’t need telling that if you go for an interchangeable lens body you’ll end up with a wish list of lenses. Based on the fact that quite entry level bodies from companies like Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Sony et al can do far more than most people need, I would always start with a clear understanding of what you want to shoot, identity the best lenses to let you do that and then spend what’s left on the body.
Good luck

Richard

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have a Canon SX60 (now 3 years old) and just bought a Nikon S900

Awesome zoom lenses on both, Nikon even longer than Canon

Close up seems excellent too, although you cant do real Macro stuff

But for under £500 either take a lot of beating if you are looking to go down the 'bridge' options

Last edited:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I am a Canon man.

Tried a Nikon and could not get on with it.

Whatever dslr you buy may not be the one you end up with.

I have now a 1d and a 5d and love them both.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Right... after taking all that has been said on board I went to talk to my local shop..

And did a really weird deal that I certainly did not expect..

He had a guy desperate for a 330.. Offered to buy mmine cash at a very VERY good price
As we are leaving for parts south on Saturday I did not want to be with out......

He said would I be interested in a FZ150 for silly money .. and I mean silly money !
As I had one before and quite liked it, I took it, sold him the 330 and walked with a pocket full of folding stuff and an extremely tidy 150..

I now have a chance to buy a DSLR ( possibly Canon shaped ) and a couple of lenses whilst I am away.. Oh I love it when a plan ( totally unintended ! ) comes together :)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Nikon 5300 can be found under £400 on eBay with lens etc
That’s way under shop price

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Nikon 5300 can be found under £400 on eBay with lens etc
That’s way under shop price
Sadly Andy, I have had Nikons and was not best pleased with either of them..I doubt I will be buying another (unless it is REALLY cheap LOL!!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My D90 packed in but my D80 is still ok
I am looking to get the 5300 as much more up to date and my lens is over a grand so not changing

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm a Canon man through and through.

I use 5D Mk3 bodies but which one to go for depends on budget.

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Hello Jaws

I have a boxed Pentax K30 with 18-55 kit DAL lens which is in great condition that I have been meaning to sell but never got round to it.. I could sell to a forum member for £120 including uk. Then I can think about a drone.. postage I would be happy to send you photos

ronidog

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Have you had a look at mirrorless instead of a DSLR?

Not for everyone (what is) but I way prefer them and have had most in the past. Personally a big Sony fan. Missus still prefers her Canon (but steals mine for some low-light stuff).

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hello Jaws

I have a boxed Pentax K30 with 18-55 kit DAL lens which is in great condition that I have been meaning to sell but never got round to it.. I could sell to a forum member for £120 including uk. Then I can think about a drone.. postage I would be happy to send you photos

ronidog
You have a PM :)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Reviews strongly take price into consideration so at this price it gets hit hard but for £395 its a bargain
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/nikon/nikon-d5300
Must admit that does look good... But as I said, I have had two ( albeit not DSLR's ) and was quite disappointed in the performance..
I compared the over all performance with the F2 and ( I think ) the LW bodies I had back in the day.. and found the digi Nikons lacking in fineness feel and finish.. So much so that I cannot even remember the models I had. I think I need to do a hands on some units before I make a decision.. Of course, then I will know how much it will cost me in bribery with Woman.... Might be replacement car time :-(

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
FZ150 is what I have.
It was award winning in 2012 but obviously technology has moved on but in my opinion it's still a very functional & flexible bit of kit - and the Leica lens does it no harm.

As I'm a mere snapper, it would be interesting to hear your opinion after you've had time to play.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
After all this I went to Jessops and spent an enjoyable morning playing with all,sorts.. Come away with a Nikon D7200 and 18-300 lens ( plus a few bits and bobs )

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Canon vs Nikon, Celtic vs Rangers, Israelis vs Palestinians. I think there will be peace in the middle-east before Canon users and Nikon users come to an agreement.

I'm a Canon man. There I've said it.

The truth is that, for any given price-point today, you really can't tell the difference in image quality between any of the big manufacturers' cameras.
In a lab test then Sony probably wins out, possibly the Nikon D850. In reality though most people don't view images bigger than a PC screen (possibly a Phone screen even).

For me it just came down to feel and usability. The Canon menu system and layout of buttons and dials just seems very intuitive to me. They tend to sit nicely in my hand as well. That goes for their compact cameras (of which I've had a few) and their DSLRs (of which I've had a few).

Most of the breathtaking, professional, images you have ever seen were taken on "old" cameras. Today's, even basic, cameras are extraordinary devices.

I'm still in awe of my Phone's camera to be honest, because none of my cameras would be capable of shooting this image without a ton of effort...

Remember... it's almost never the camera's fault.

1 20180717_142541 1920.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back