What Broke on your MH this weekend (1 Viewer)

May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
SO, things happen in threes....

This weekend :

1. As we were levelling up I pulled the Handbrake and it felt like it had come off in my hand, in fact it was just free moving because all tension was lost in the cable.

looking underneath I saw a bracket attached to either side of the van chassis where the handbrake outer tubes are captured to allow the tension (see photo). The off side bracket area where the tube mates had corroded and i had pulled the tube right through.

Luckily there was enough purchase on the top half of the bracket for me to use pliers and reform the shape enough to hold the tube.

Not sure how to proceed with it now, it seems to be working ok.

2. When opening the habitation door from outside the bottom of the handle "pinged" some bits flew past me (never to be found) and I couldn't open the door.

There is (was lol) a hinge arrangement by the look of it that allowed the action of opening the catch. We now have to push the bottom of the handle and pull the top to open the door :-(

3. When parking up back home today I turned of the ignition, removed the keys and OMG the engine carried on running. I put the keys back and tried off and on several times with no luck.

In the end I had to stall the engine, The stall seemed quite traumatic.

Does anyone know why an engine can keep running despite turning of ignition and removing keys? There was just the red battery light on when it was doing this.

Anyone else find that minor things like this are constantly happening when using the MH?

Ours is oldish (1997)

Attachments

• handbrake.jpg
    handbrake.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 65

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
engine still running......

sounds like the fuel cutoff/stop soleniod on the fuel injector pump has jammed open

it is held open by 12v from the ignition switch and closes when the supply is removed...ign off.

removing and cleaning the plunger and seat may sort it but most likely needs replacing.

doubtful, but could also be a spurious power source caused be a short circuit somewhere in the wiring.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
2. When opening the habitation door from outside the bottom of the handle "pinged" some bits flew past me (never to be found) and I couldn't open the door.

Anyone else find that minor things like this are constantly happening when using the MH?

Ours is oldish (1997)

::bigsmile: I was doing a 3 point turn on a quiet road just outside a town in France when 2 things happened.
The gear knob came off in my hand and a spring flew past my ear-at the same time the volume of traffic increased dramatically :ROFLMAO:
I managed to park up and effect a repair by wrapping duct tape round the gear stick and hammering the knob (with spring) back in place.A month later we got home,having renewed the duct tape about once a week and had to pay £40 for a Fiat gear knob.:cry:
Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
BigClick
May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
engine still running......

sounds like the fuel cutoff/stop soleniod on the fuel injector pump has jammed open

it is held open by 12v from the ignition switch and closes when the supply is removed...ign off.

removing and cleaning the plunger and seat may sort it but most likely needs replacing.

doubtful, but could also be a spurious power source caused be a short circuit somewhere in the wiring.

Thanks PJ, I'l know what to look for now

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I had a '92 544 about 6 years ago,bought in '94,the engine wouldn't cut off and,in my case it was a faulty contact in the ignition switch.
This week my Horizontal to vertical adjuster on my TV aerial broke,thank God for the radio!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks PJ, I'l know what to look for now

when you find it, take it out and move the plunger in and out by hand then connect the wire, ign on and touch the soleniod body to the engine a few times.

if the plunger moves in and out freely that will confirm it works.

if no movement by hand its jammed open.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!

This weekend :

1. As we were levelling up I pulled the Handbrake and it felt like it had come off in my hand, in fact it was just free moving because all tension was lost in the cable.

looking underneath I saw a bracket attached to either side of the van chassis where the handbrake outer tubes are captured to allow the tension (see photo). The off side bracket area where the tube mates had corroded and i had pulled the tube right through.

Luckily there was enough purchase on the top half of the bracket for me to use pliers and reform the shape enough to hold the tube.

There is (was lol) a hinge arrangement by the look of it that allowed the action of opening the catch. We now have to push the bottom of the handle and pull the top to open the door :-(

3. When parking up back home today I turned of the ignition, removed the keys and OMG the engine carried on running. I put the keys back and tried off and on several times with no luck.

Does anyone know why an engine can keep running despite turning of ignition and removing keys? There was just the red battery light on when it was doing this.

Ours is oldish (1997)

Blimy remind me not to let you near our Motorhome:Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
short circuit is easy to diagnose.

remove the wire from the soleniod and connect the meter, set to dc volts, to the wire and earth with ign off.

if you get a reading then theres a short somewhere or a fault in the ign switch.

maybe try that before removing the soleniod......its easier.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

This weekend :

Ours is oldish (1997)

NOTHING FELL OFF/or broke as usual :winky: but all the diesil disapeared after 350 mls ::bigsmile:
terry

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
First time for a while on a site without EHU gas boiler worked fine for the first day then died,:Angry: I think it's an easy fix but can't get to the boiler without removing a lot of other stuff. back home now OK if a bit smelly:winky:. Will try fixing the boiler later.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
handbrake will be an MOT fail and quite sensibly needs the bracket replacing due to corrosion

you need a replacement door handle assembly....try O'learys

sounds as PJ said like a fuel solenoid valve. they do stick when they get older/worn. I would say replace as it will fail again and cause the same problem where it would be dangerous to stall the engine

Youve not had the best of luck, but at least youre learning more about your van :thumb:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
1........Exhaust fell off !!:Doh:

2........Radio kept turning itself half on ( now replaced ! )

3........Leisure batteries registering 3 volts despite solar panel on line and nothing in the van switched on !

4.........:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

OP
OP
BigClick
May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
1........Exhaust fell off !!:Doh:

2........Radio kept turning itself half on ( now replaced ! )

3........Leisure batteries registering 3 volts despite solar panel on line and nothing in the van switched on !

4.........:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Do you want to start a splinter group LOL. Maybe call it "The Popular Front for MH Unfortunates"

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
That's funny my diesel does that too

not as much as mine a few weeks back..... a high pressure diesel hose blew off the pump and emptied 1/4 tank in seconds whilst trying to restart. thought it had just stalled till we smelt the diesel and looked underneath

quickly fixed though with a new hose clip:thumb:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Had a couple of occasions when the engine continued running when switched off (not on MH yet but 3 cars with the Lucas pump) - tiny rubber disc which seals the valve when ignition's switched off wears through leaving a small hole in the centre thus letting fuel continue flowing. Easy quick fix ... as long as you've got a spare rubber disc thingy :RollEyes: (although I did bodge once by carefully trimming a piece of bike inner tube which happened to be in the boot).

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Wardrobe door catch, poor design. You have to tilt the handle inwards to open it and I suspect someone didn't do it and now the catch is loose so won't stay shut. Todd old electricians tape did the job. Nothing else this weekend although off to Belgium and France next week so anything could happen!!!

kaybee

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2012
Arrived at Saltfleet on Friday. Was quite windy but very warm, Went to open the MH diner window, the wind twisted the window and broke the strut. Hey ho! Off to Devon with it tied up with an old shoelace. :Smile:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Reading all these posts is a bit of a worry, we've had no problems with the Elddis since we bought it new, apart from someone reversing into the side of us.
However, now that we're trading it in, it's fingers crossed nothing goes wrong between now and the time we drive down south to change over in two weeks:pray:
Bill

OP
OP
BigClick
May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
Reading all these posts is a bit of a worry, we've had no problems with the Elddis since we bought it new, apart from someone reversing into the side of us.
However, now that we're trading it in, it's fingers crossed nothing goes wrong between now and the time we drive down south to change over in two weeks:pray:
Bill

I'm sure you'll be ok. Remember Nick Ross from Crimewatch...

"Whatever happens, don't on our account have nightmares, do sleep well.'

:Smile::Smile:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Scraped the rear corner on a fence post :Sad:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010

What Broke on your MH this weekend?

Nothing!

Wyn:ROFLMAO:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
[FONT=&quot]We set off from saltfleet to finis our week end before setting off to rogers do the van started to overheat after abut twenty mils it is now using water and stemming like an old traction engine think the head gasket has gone got home ok but the old girl isn’t sounding to happy going to have a look tomorrow when she cools down:cry: [/FONT]

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
1) The habitation water pump got slower and slower then stopped (not my fault but I do need to sort out a replacement. I emailed Adria in case they could tell me the correct pump to buy only to get an auto reply that they are closed for their annual holiday)

2) The fridge refused to light on gas (this one is my fault - ran out of Gas in deepest Brittany) :Blush::Blush::Blush: :Doh: :Doh: :Doh:. Note to self - when the indicator on a calor lite bottle is almost all red you are about to run out of gas and knowing the replacement is in the shed at home does not help

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
Nothing broke on our motorhome this weekend after all, but the muppets who sold it to me left the control cable for the gas boiler loose. Once I had my tools I found it straight away.:Smile: Shame I don't need it now:cry:

Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
cor... im glad for my old '96 transit, the only thing that broke recently is the plastic hinges on the skylight cover.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back