What blade to cut thick acrylic please? (1 Viewer)

kitetraveller

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay 2 bed
Exp
Getting there!
I have some 12mm thick clear acrylic that I want to use for a shelf, but have no idea what to use to cut it - anyone got any helpful suggestions please?

Many thanks in anticipation.
Andy

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
How long is the cut if it's manageable manually a hacksaw would do it. The cut edge then tidied up with a very sharp plane then wet n dry used wet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
either buy the correct blade to suit your jigsaw at slow speed or use a fine tooth blade for metal.

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
Or if there is one, take it to your local laser cutting service, usually metal but can cut acrylics, wood, plastics etc too. Perfect finish and sizing.

OP
OP
kitetraveller

kitetraveller

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay 2 bed
Exp
Getting there!
Many thanks folks!
I will try a metal cutting blade at slow speed in my jigsaw, and see how I get on.

Cheers
Andy

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Many thanks folks!
I will try a metal cutting blade at slow speed in my jigsaw, and see how I get on.

Cheers
Andy
if the off cut piece will be reasonably large try a few trial cuts in that before making the final cut.
That will give you chance to change blades and speed if necessary to get the optimum combination.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Once you have cut it, you can use wet and dry (wet) to clean the edges and put a bevel on if you need to. Then use a polishing compound to get it really nice.

as @Glandwr said a bandsaw is best but a metal cutting blade in a jigsaw worked for me fine. Let the blade do the work and don't try to push the blade too fast. You can use water to keep it cool/lubricated as well. It is basically nigh on impossible to avoid small chipping with a jigsaw but you can clean it up with wet and dry as mentioned above.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS: put masking tape on the top and bottom of the cut prior to cutting to prevent scratching of the surface.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
oh and one last thing. if it is thin. cut from the outside in. ie make two cuts. Cut from one side to the middle, then cut from the other side to the middle.
If you try and do it in one run on thin stuff it may knock a chunk out of the corner as you get to the end of the cut.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
If you have a steady hand & the confidence you can flame polish the edge after cutting, but practice on scrap bits first (y)

OP
OP
kitetraveller

kitetraveller

Free Member
Jun 18, 2016
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay 2 bed
Exp
Getting there!
Thanks all!

I tried with a metal cutting blade in my jigsaw, but the acrylic melted, then closed back up behind the cut, so I did not end up with seperate pieces!!

I used a hacksaw to make the cut in the end, then a new hacksaw blade with foam wrapped around it to make a handle so I could cut to the middle of the sheet.

Once I had cut the sheet to a manageable size, I was able to use my table top bandsaw to do the rest.

I looked up flame polish on youtube, and had a go, and it seemed to work.

Thanks again folks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back