What birds do you get in your garden (1 Viewer)

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
We've had a new one to us this week a Dunnock.Very shy just shuffling between shrubs in the garden and occasionly getting titbits below the feeder.
Taken with a very shaky handheld 300mm lens
robin.JPG
jenny wren.JPG
dunnock.JPG

blackcap.JPG
birds (14).JPG
LTT.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
We also get Dunnocks they are very shy... ours sometimes will feed off a tray on a very low wall but usually they just go between the bushes picking up whatever they can find.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
I used to crunch up suet balls with a hammer and put them on a bit of a paving slab for the blackbirds etc but it attracted rats so I don,t do that anymore.

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
I used to crunch up suet balls with a hammer and put them on a bit of a paving slab for the blackbirds etc but it attracted rats so I don,t do that anymore.
The amount of birds we have visiting there is no food left by mid afternoon.....we did used to get a little harvest mouse come occasionally but we haven’t seen it recently.....our neighbours across the stream have a cat so it may have eaten our little harvest mouse:frowny:

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
Fewer garden birds this year. That's a direct consequence of the new neighbours at the back having all the trees (mainly conifers) removed from the bottom of their garden. My privacy is gone too. Whatever I plant now will take years to fill the gap.

These days, it's mostly corvids seen in the garden. Jackdaws, Magpies, and an occasional Rook. They pick moss of the roof looking for insects. Bits of moss all over the patio.

Some Sparrows and mixed Tits on the feeders. Not much else apart from a few dopey Woodpigeons and Collared Doves who come for seeds spilled on the ground.

The resident small flock of Starlings (30 at its peak) still comes for a daily breakfast of mealworms and suet sprinkles. They are much warier, having been predated by visiting Sparrowhawks. Luckily the neighbours on both sides have some trees where they can hide.
CRickey - I could have written that (nearly) about my back garden/neighbours. add marauding seagulls and fewer sparrows And a variety of tits. Piggins and doves yes, sparrow hawk no. I have posted this elsewhere but anyway - I am a bit higher up the hill and now I can see right into their kitchen - serves them right!

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We get all the birds that are around in our ‘garden’......it’s a giiiiiig garden.....as big as the world if we want it to be.
I don’t employ a gardener but there are plenty of them about!

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
I did the Jan bird watch this year, and submitted a video via an email. It didnt happen on the bird watch hour window, but the good lady had shouted me through to kitchen a few weeks earlier.
She saw one of our family of 5 Magpies feeding along side the spuggies, Blue tits and Robins.
I had my phone so was away to take a pic.
Then our resident sparrow hawk swooped in and caught a sparrow. It took the sparrow to the ground right in front of the kitchen window, and we watched it slowly squeeze the life out the poor wee bugger. We could see and hear it chirping away more slowly and slowly till it stopped.
It was a really quite a thing to see in the back garden.
I have tried to see if it is on the site but cant find it. I thought I was taking pics but it was on video.
Makes you think about wildlife photographers waiting days on end to get the snap.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Jackdaws from neighbours chimney who steal all the bird food, pigeons walking around the lawn to stupid to look on the bird table, starlings eating what the jackdaws miss.

LoraMoser

Free Member
Feb 25, 2020
USA
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I'm a newbie
It's good to keep birds in the garden as a part of a member of the garden. But have you ever thought about the pests that might get attracted towards birds and their eating? One of my cousins is also fond of keeping many of pests at home such as rats, birds, mouse etc.. but at a certain duration of time, these pests become a nuisance to her, as they were damaging the plants and other things in the garden and at home. So to avoid this she contacted the pest Exterminator Bronx NY for keeping the rest of the unwanted pests out of home and garden.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I've been watching a big Sparrowhawk devouring a pigeon at the bottom of the garden for nearly 2 hours. The neighbour has let her 2 dogs out to play so the Sparrowhawk has just left. I hope it ate enough not to have to kill again.

Next step is to bag the remains of the pigeon and vacuum as many feathers as I can before the rain arrives.

Deleted User
Where are the birds? Normally at this time of year have seen as many as 23 Blue Tits feeding or queuing up. Haven't seen a single bird other than Robins. There seems to be plenty of larger birds, Crows, Wood Pigeon Woodpecker and get daily visits of Pheasant and French Grouse on the lawn. But no Blackbird, Tits, Chaffinch, Thrush, Wagtail, Tree Creeper. Which have all been in an abundance every spring. Also not so many squirrels. Saw on face book a picture of hundreds of dead birds on the roadside of the M25. Anyone know anything?

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Where are the birds? Normally at this time of year have seen as many as 23 Blue Tits feeding or queuing up. Haven't seen a single bird other than Robins. There seems to be plenty of larger birds, Crows, Wood Pigeon Woodpecker and get daily visits of Pheasant and French Grouse on the lawn. But no Blackbird, Tits, Chaffinch, Thrush, Wagtail, Tree Creeper. Which have all been in an abundance every spring. Also not so many squirrels. Saw on face book a picture of hundreds of dead birds on the roadside of the M25. Anyone know anything?

I take it the french grouse was a red legged partridge , I only ever seen one in the garden 2 years ago ,
it’s gone now , but all my usual birds are here

77910152-B2FC-47DE-8E1B-1A8A73422EB5.png

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
If we can count "flying over" then I have a new one for this garden - shag (there's a breeding colony about half a mile away and I've seen them over the marsh but not DIRECTLY over the garden I think!)

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If we can count "flying over" then I have a new one for this garden - shag (there's a breeding colony about half a mile away and I've seen them over the marsh but not DIRECTLY over the garden I think!)
I think "seen from" the garden counts. On this basis I counted a Merlin yesterday.

Sadly, only a Merlin helecopter. :(

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I better tell our resident pigeon to watch out. We named him fat frank because he waddles around the garden and just about clears the wall when he takes off. He struggles and sometimes only makes it to the wall and rests. Haha

Shaun929

Free Member
Sep 15, 2018
Sunny isle of axholme
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu I500
Exp
Late 2018
Found these at bottom of my garden today sat in the bush, about ready to fly I think

Attachments

• 3481B05E-3D60-4D93-BB10-119A73D56933.jpeg
    3481B05E-3D60-4D93-BB10-119A73D56933.jpeg
    283.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 2750C4F3-BA0E-4CA1-B32D-ADB66559C1EF.jpeg
    2750C4F3-BA0E-4CA1-B32D-ADB66559C1EF.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 29
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We have a resident squadron of hedge sparrows starlings and blackbirds occasionally we get a visitor.
This morning when the solar fountain started running a male blackbird was sat in the bottom with water running over him. He was there for half an hour.
The sparrows normally use the fountain leaving the bigger birds to the bird bath.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
The last couple of weeks we've had short-eared owls - probably because of the emergence of over-sized voles (why THEY are around I couldn't begin to guess - except maybe because the owls weren't so busy last year?)
Anyhow, seen over the front of the house but the photo by a neighbour - probably 2 males fighting over a female or over territory:
182385398_242372734104284_269698571591687425_n.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back