What birds do you get in your garden (2 Viewers)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We’ve got meal worms, fat balls and a huge bag of mixed seed . I also put out bread crusts and bacon rind. I think we need a bird table . Or at least a flat surface on a high fence post, till Ralph can get round to building me a proper one. Any spare min he’s on with the house at the moment. Maybe we are getting little birds but we can’t see them from the house on the garage roof ?
If they’ve never been fed here , they may take a while to come ?

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I know we are all different, but I don’t like or find either of your posts funny or informative in any way ?

if the first photo and question was genuine, yes it is a male sparrow hawk ?
Quite agree I am a happy live and let live man. Thanks for the info how do you identify it as a male?

Feel free to block me. Both pictures are genuine. Life is for living not moaning?

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
As you know DavidG58 we’ve only recently moved from Wakefield to Pickering.
We managed to attract lots of birds in the old garden. So far all we’ve had here are huge crows might even be ravens. Black birds, pigeons and pheasants ? oh and the odd seagull on the garage roof .....
I’ve been throwing seed and bread on the garage roof , which gets eaten by the above . But the fatballs are just rotting in the feeders.
There are loads of birds around and other gardens have feeders with the usual birds eating from them. But we’ve had no luck so far and we’ve been here since September 30th !
Any tips from any of you seasoned twitchers please ?
Bev our small birds like the little suet pellets mixed in with bird seed and sunflower seeds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
As you know DavidG58 we’ve only recently moved from Wakefield to Pickering.
We managed to attract lots of birds in the old garden. So far all we’ve had here are huge crows might even be ravens. Black birds, pigeons and pheasants ? oh and the odd seagull on the garage roof .....
I’ve been throwing seed and bread on the garage roof , which gets eaten by the above . But the fatballs are just rotting in the feeders.
There are loads of birds around and other gardens have feeders with the usual birds eating from them. But we’ve had no luck so far and we’ve been here since September 30th !

Variety and perseverance ?

we put some in feeders and some on ground,?but then watch out for rats ?

if you have a Wilko near you they sell suet logs / balls rather than fat, our birds much prefer those, we have had ours go black but only the fat cakes which i then break up and put on the ground for the bigger birds

a good mix of quality seed and suet pellets should get them in when it’s cold ?

ours also like sunflower hearts in a hanging feeder

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Quite agree I am a happy live and let live man. Thanks for the info how do you identify it as a male?

Feel free to block me. Both pictures are genuine. Life is for living not moaning?

I don’t block people but chose what I read

male sparrowhawks are much greyer than females which are quite brown and larger

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988

I don’t think DavidG58 was moaning this is a thread for birds that we get in the garden and I don’t think your second picture has any relevance to the thread.

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
<Broken link removed>
79344716_179897009730973_2092067261232709632_n.jpg
Now I know where all the bird feed is going.:xangry:

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Jays and squirrels?

we had a rat today ??

but a magpie kept chasing it off ?

probably too big for a magpie kill but I live in hope, the squirrel isn’t scared by much ?
Yes we don’t mind the Jays but the squirrels are a pain :xsad: we have a lot of oak trees down one boundary and at the back of our lower garden so they are obviously living nearby

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We’ve got meal worms, fat balls and a huge bag of mixed seed . I also put out bread crusts and bacon rind. I think we need a bird table . Or at least a flat surface on a high fence post, till Ralph can get round to building me a proper one. Any spare min he’s on with the house at the moment. Maybe we are getting little birds but we can’t see them from the house on the garage roof ?
If they’ve never been fed here , they may take a while to come ?
The RSPB sell a small cage with a mesh wide enough to keep out the larger birds and critters. You put food on the ground then cover it with the cage. It's an alternative to a bird table and will attract birds which only feed on the ground.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Good idea I’ll look into that . We’ve had black birds on the bird table tray today. We had so many sparrows at the old house but non here. So given that, then no blue tits etc it’s rather baron ?

Reactions: DBK
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Like the idea of this , we are besieged by wood pigeons

<Broken link removed>

Can’t help thinking you could make it for a fraction of this price though ??

Nicking a shopping trolley for starters ??

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Bet this picture wasn't taken in Norfolk if so you must have had a shed load of twitchers. lol.

View attachment 352706
North America I guess. Pity they didn't send us the Jays and kept the squirrels. :)

A Blue Jay I think.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
We're not really twitchers or seasoned, but we do enjoy feeding the birds and our feeders get mobbed.
This photo was the other day and only a fraction of what had been about.
Then there are all the ground feeders.
We feed sunflower hearts, niger seed, fat balls/coconut half shells, peanuts & mealworms.
One thing to remember with the mealworms though is not to put them on the ground as hedgehogs like them, but they are not good for them at all.
Another thing to avoid is putting fat balls out in nets, the birds can get hooked up and die.
We also learned the hard way not to bother with the bags of mixed seed, a total waste of money as most off it lands up on the ground, never touched by the birds & growing blasted barley everywhere.
20191221_121404.jpg

Last edited:

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
North America I guess. Pity they didn't send us the Jays and kept the squirrels. :)

A Blue Jay I think.
Actually Canada, my sister lives on the north shore of lake huron. I don't believe you will find a blue jay in Norfolk or anywhere else in the UK for that matter.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki

This next one was earlier today BEFORE I topped up the bottle feeders, as you can see there was plenty of food there.
Sometimes there can be a couple of dozen+ just on the feeder, never mind the ones on the ground, it's mayhem. :xgrin:

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007

This next one was earlier today BEFORE I topped up the bottle feeders, as you can see there was plenty of food there.
Sometimes there can be a couple of dozen+ just on the feeder, never mind the ones on the ground, it's mayhem. :xgrin:

Lovely. Don't get to many Siskin in our back yard down here in the south. Just the odd one here and there this time of year hanging around the feeders.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Lovely. Don't get to many Siskin in our back yard down here in the south. Just the odd one here and there this time of year hanging around the feeders.
They swarm the feeder as you can see, along with various finches, tits, dunnocks, B.birds, doves, starlings, rooks, crows & others I can't think of just now.......we are getting loads of Gold finches at the moment.
I fill our peanut feeder with mealworms, the starling love it and it keeps the worms to a minimum on the ground, they get cleared up though. I like to put our peanuts out loose as we have red cyrils here. :xgrin:

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
They swarm the feeder as you can see, along with various finches, tits, dunnocks, B.birds, doves, starlings, rooks, crows & others I can't think of just now.......we are getting loads of Gold finches at the moment.
I fill our peanut feeder with mealworms, the starling love it and it keeps the worms to a minimum on the ground, they get cleared up though. I like to put our peanuts out loose as we have red cyrils here. :xgrin:
red cyrils :ROFLMAO:

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
So no Buzzards , we get most stuff you do but we almost daily have Common Buzzards and always get Rooks and Crows and starlings one birdwatch session had over 40 on he ground here

Prefer the canal where I get to see my favourite bird the Kingfisher

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Just had a dozen collar doves turn up this morning, do they move about in flocks ? Normally might see 2 or 3 in the tree out the front.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back