What birds do you get in your garden (2 Viewers)

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
When we lived in Lancashire we used to have quite a few birds in the garden but since moving here to South Wales we have a lot more species visiting us. We are lucky that we have woodland surrounding two sides of the garden.
This morning we were visited by a mistle thrush and one night last week we had a tawny owl.
Our regulars are
Blue tits
Coal tits
Long tailed tits
Great tits
Chaffinch
Bull finch
Greenfinch
Sparrows
Dunnocks
Woodpeckers
Collared dove
Robins
Sparrow hawk
Starlings
Wrens
Pied wagtails
Blackbirds
Nuthatches
Jays
We don’t seem to get the bigger birds like crows and jackdaws and magpies but they seem to go into our neighbours garden

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I set myself a target of tying to photograph all the birds we have seen in our garden

not doing too well at that yet, the small ones really don't seem to sit still for long at all

our best bird to date was a gold crest, seen it several times even over last winter, we pretty much see the same as you, but we do get the big birds in with the small, but my neighbours don't feed them

our other regular especially in the snow is a yellow hammer

plus we get a lot of gold finch

I will resurrect my photographic challenge and try to get at least one a week on here, I do have a few already taken to get started

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
At the moment I have a variety of garden birds on the feeders. Occasional Wrens. Mostly mixed Tits, Sparrows and greedy Jackdaws. Woodpigeons cleaning up spilled seeds. About 25 winter resident Starlings every morning for a breakfast of mealworms.

Goldfinches extracting seeds from the tiny pine cones on the conifers.

A pied Wagtail has taken up residence. He/she threatened and chased away one of the Robins. Never seen that before.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
At the moment I have a variety of garden birds on the feeders. Occasional Wrens. Mostly mixed Tits, Sparrows and greedy Jackdaws. Woodpigeons cleaning up spilled seeds. About 25 winter resident Starlings every morning for a breakfast of mealworms.

Goldfinches extracting seeds from the tiny pine cones on the conifers.

A pied Wagtail has taken up residence. He/she threatened and chased away one of the Robins. Never seen that before.
Our robin and pied wagtail had an aerial fight the other day not sure which one one
I set myself a target of tying to photograph all the birds we have seen in our garden

not doing too well at that yet, the small ones really don't seem to sit still for long at all

our best bird to date was a gold crest, seen it several times even over last winter, we pretty much see the same as you, but we do get the big birds in with the small, but my neighbours don't feed them

our other regular especially in the snow is a yellow hammer

plus we get a lot of gold finch

I will resurrect my photographic challenge and try to get at least one a week on here, I do have a few already taken to get started
I will do the same David and try to get photographs

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
image.jpeg
Seagulls and pigeons. Downside of living by the sea but only have to go a few miles inland for more variety.
I took this in January at Newton Abbot.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We don't get a great variety but it amuses me to see the different personalities of the ones we do get.

Blackbird - My mum taught me to share and I'm OK with that.
Robin - This is MY garden so get the f**k out of here.
Pidgeons - Oooh look, a full bird table. Let's see if I can clear it in under 2 minutes.
Starlings - Let's chuck everything all over the place and then squabble over what's left.
Rooks - Stuff your face! Stuff your face! Stuff your face!
Blue Tits - I'm a very fussy eater. I hope those nuts are fresh.
Partridges - What day is it? Who am I? Where am I? How do I get out of here?

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
We don't get a great variety but it amuses me to see the different personalities of the ones we do get.

Blackbird - My mum taught me to share and I'm OK with that.
Robin - This is MY garden so get the f**k out of here.
Pidgeons - Oooh look, a full bird table. Let's see if I can clear it in under 2 minutes.
Starlings - Let's chuck everything all over the place and then squabble over what's left.
Rooks - Stuff your face! Stuff your face! Stuff your face!
Blue Tits - I'm a very fussy eater. I hope those nuts are fresh.
Partridges - What day is it? Who am I? Where am I? How do I get out of here?
How very true ....and our little wren rushes about as quick as she can and then dives behind plant pots if anything comes near her she’s so timid
The long tailed tits are like a group of rowdy teenagers

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
As you can imagine a huge difference between the last house in Cornwall and here in Skye.

Here, the commonest birds are hooded crows, but also quite a few blackbirds, occasional thrushes, regular blue/ great/ long-tailed tits, green/ gold/ chaffinches, lots of linnets, some warblery jobbies, wren, etc.
(Then if I cheat, going skywards we've had gulls, long-eared and barn owls, kestrels, sparrowhawks, buzzards, hen harriers and white-tailed eagles.)

Today so far, just a few finches unrecognisable against the low sun.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
When we lived in Lancashire we used to have quite a few birds in the garden but since moving here to South Wales we have a lot more species visiting us. We are lucky that we have woodland surrounding two sides of the garden.
This morning we were visited by a mistle thrush and one night last week we had a tawny owl.
Our regulars are
Blue tits
Coal tits
Long tailed tits
Great tits
Chaffinch
Bull finch
Greenfinch
Sparrows
Dunnocks
Woodpeckers
Collared dove
Robins
Sparrow hawk
Starlings
Wrens
Pied wagtails
Blackbirds
Nuthatches
Jays
We don’t seem to get the bigger birds like crows and jackdaws and magpies but they seem to go into our neighbours garden
We see all the above + most members of the crow family, Wood Pigeons and, although flightless, grey squirrels. At this time of year especially we often see a couple of Turtle Doves & a Partridge.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We get crows, sparrows, collared doves, pigeons, robins, bñackbirds occasionally as I have only seen 2or 3 since living here.
When first here & all open & unfenced the neighbours geese & ducks used to wander around along with Percy the peacock & his chicken followers. Neighbours got rid of them eventually.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Starlings and seagulls, seem to keep everything else away. Have seen a couple of wrens and a few crows but sometimes can't see the grass for starlings

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Starlings and seagulls, seem to keep everything else away. Have seen a couple of wrens and a few crows but sometimes can't see the grass for starlings
That's great, starlings are in sad decline, take good care of 'em!

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
That's great, starlings are in sad decline, take good care of 'em!
We only have 2 starlings that seem to come each morning I always thought they used to be in big flocks so maybe there aren’t many in this area.

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
Apart from the usual suspects, as already mentioned, seen some Blackcaps the last couple of days since the snow.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Daily visitors are
Robins
Great tits
Blue tits
Green finches (lots of them)
Blackbird
Sparrows
Starlings
Wood pigeon

Less frequent but still common are
Woodlecker
Collared dove
Feral pigeon
Dunnock
Wren
Magpie

Occasional visitors
Pheasant
Pied Wagtail
crow
Jackdaw
Rook
Fieldfare
Redstart

Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
I think I saw a penguin today waddling across the snow in my garden :eek:

Silvia

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
We are lucky in having a large natural pond bordering our garden, and still lots of hedgerows about so it does attract allsorts of wildlife. I looked out the window one morning to see a spoonbill 'sifting' around the pond. He stayed a day then carried on his journey. Also a snipe, and redshank have visited. My favourite at this time of year are the skeins of pink footed geese returning to Norfolk, a sight I never tire of.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We only have 2 starlings that seem to come each morning I always thought they used to be in big flocks so maybe there aren’t many in this area.
I remember you used to see them by the thousand all over the place during the murmurations. I've never seen a really big one but even the smaller flocks are amazing to see, wheeling and creating all sorts of patterns before suddenly plummeting down and disappearing into their roosts. And what a noise!

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Not many unfortunately, there's loads of pigeons though!

Advice on encouraging more species would be appreciated

we do get the odd visit from the nearby squirrels

Andy

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We have Kestrels, Little Owls, Hoopoes, Magpies (and Great Spotted Cuckoos in spring laying their eggs in the maggies' nests) Stone Curlews, Red Necked Nightjars, linnets and other small brownish birds, blackcaps, and occasionally Siberian Warblers. A couple of years we've had Golden Orioles also.

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
We have Kestrels, Little Owls, Hoopoes, Magpies (and Great Spotted Cuckoos in spring laying their eggs in the maggies' nests) Stone Curlews, Red Necked Nightjars, linnets and other small brownish birds, blackcaps, and occasionally Siberian Warblers. A couple of years we've had Golden Orioles also.
Used to love seeing the hoopoes when we used to go to Los Madriles in the winter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back