What berth size info help please? (1 Viewer)

Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
Another newbie ramble..............

Is it a bit like a tent, you get bigger than you need, we are only 2 + dog but we have a six berth tent?

We might have occasional grand kids with us, but they can have a pop up tent if need be.

Would a 2 berth be more restrictive as in less room storage etc, so should we look at 4 berths ?

Does it cost more to insure if it's got more berths?

some of the 2 berths look quite neat, but then look quite small sometimes

Cheers jakki :whew::whew:

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
Best thing is to go and look at different models to see what suits you. We have a two berth for us two plus two dogs. There is plenty of storage space and we like the uncluttered layout. I think insurance goes on the overall value rather than size so it depends on whether you're loking for new or preloved?

Enjoy it, whatever you decide on... :)

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
No I don't think how many berths has any leaning on it, if there is only two of you then a two berth can be any size, though you may want to check how many seat belts the van has. The best way is get in the vans without the salesman, imagine living in it on a wet day, is there ample locker space for chairs table barbie and other things that you may want to take, There is no relivence in the cost it's how ever much you want to spend, always check your pay load and make sure there is no damp, happy searching.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
duffs
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
Thank you, it will be a preloved one and I kinda like the Hymers at the moment.......that's not saying I will change my mind when I actually start looking properly

cheers jakki

Upvote 0

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Hi @duffs
If your usually known to me as duffs54 then welcome I was expecting you to drop in to fun
If not your not duffs54 welcome anyway
The best place to check out all the layouts and sizes would be the nec in October
Then to view preloved mhs a regional mh show I think Malvern is coming up

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
@duffs
As @Carol says a key consideration for you will be the number of seat-belted seats there are, the grand weans will need strapped in.
Generally, you can get a 4 \ 6 berth but with only two belted seats but not seen many, if any, 4 \ 6 belted seats with a lower berth number.
There is only the two of us travel, plus the dug, and we even went for a 4 belted motorhome so the dog could get strapped in!

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We have a hymer 584 2000, it's a 3 berth, just a tad under 6meters lots of storage in the big locker that goes all across the back, plenty of room for 2 and a dog, worth a check out of the model.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
duffs
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
Hi @duffs
If your usually known to me as duffs54 then welcome I was expecting you to drop in to fun
If not your not duffs54 welcome anyway
The best place to check out all the layouts and sizes would be the nec in October
Then to view preloved mhs a regional mh show I think Malvern is coming up

Lol yes it's me hello you two, and you were so right about me lurking on here once I had a lookie.

Very friendly and welcoming, thank you for sending me here xxx

cheers jakki

Upvote 0
OP
OP
duffs
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
We have a hymer 584 2000, it's a 3 berth, just a tad under 6meters lots of storage in the big locker that goes all across the back, plenty of room for 2 and a dog, worth a check out of the model.

I've just printed off all the different models and sizes from the Hymer posts.I will check yours out thank you ..Jakki

It's lovely, but out of our price range sadly lol I was looking at the new price :oops2:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
duffs
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
So the more seat belts than the berths is good then if it's a two or three berth, thank you, need our dog strapped in

cheers

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
How many grandchildren might you want to take at one time?

Plenty of two or three-berth vans around that have 4 belted seats (including the driver).

Let the grandchildren stay in a pup tent if you can. You should get more comfortable and practical living space that way.

Number of berths shouldn't affect the insurance premium, as others have said.

Again, as others have mentioned, make sure you get sufficient weight allowance for carrying your stuff and passengers etc. Bit of a dark art in some respects. Many vans have insufficient payload allowance.

Good luck whatever you decide on.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
duffs
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
How many grandchildren might you want to take at one time?

Plenty of two or three-berth vans around that have 4 belted seats (including the driver).

Let the grandchildren stay in a pup tent if you can. You should get more comfortable and practical living space that way.

Number of berths shouldn't affect the insurance premium, as others have said.

Again, as others have mentioned, make sure you get sufficient weight allowance for carrying your stuff and passengers etc. Bit of a dark art in some respects. Many vans have insufficient payload allowance.

Good luck whatever you decide on.

Only 2 kids at any one time, because of grumpy granddad lol, might even leave him behind and take all 3 plus dog

Yes the payload is a bit of a minefield, hopefully our camping stuff will do for outside chair and table, we have a cadac grillogaz, which is quite heavy.

I will have to start weighing stuff, gosh and this is before we have bought anything, god knows what I will be like when we re looking with the cash in our pockets eeeek!

Cheers jakki

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back