Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
TBH my first thought was,

why don't folk put more detail in the thread title o_O

save me opening things I can't answer (y)

sorry can't help on this one :)(y)
Do you mean like this Touche :whistle:
Interesting thought
Discussion in 'Broken Link Removed' started by DavidG58, Broken Link Removed.

Page 1 of 2
Broken Link RemovedBroken Link Removed

1. DavidG58Funster
    Ratings:
    +21,789
    12417971_10207615072111640_8660821131665474192_n.jpg

This popped up on my Face Book from a couple of years ago, makes perfect sense, but possibly describes where I am going wrong a bit too well :(

Definitely time to make some changes, or at the very least stop putting stuff off or finding silly excuses not to do things we want to (just my mother to sort out before we do a few though o_O)

DavidG58, Broken Link RemovedBroken Link RemovedBroken Link Removed
    Broken Link RemovedBroken Link Removed
    • clear.png
      Like it x 19
    • clear.png
      Thanks x 2
    • information.png
      Informative x 1

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Do you mean like this Touche :whistle:

An excellent example, even more so that I now have no idea what was in the link that FB appear to have removed o_Oo_O

I / we will now never know, but TBH if you hadn't reminded me I would never have gone back there :):)

Hopefully I have already adopted my own guidance, that was 8 months ago and probably posted late at night on a drinking night :LOL:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Has anyone considered the imposed downforce on the towbar.

EVERY towbar I ever saw has a max nose weight of 70kg to 100kg.
This is the maximum load pressing down on the towbar, not just the hitch ball, and is a CE limit.

OP
OP
Rockcrawler
Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Has anyone considered the imposed downforce on the towbar.

EVERY towbar I ever saw has a max nose weight of 70kg to 100kg.
This is the maximum load pressing down on the towbar, not just the hitch ball, and is a CE limit.
That's what I think, everyone talks about being careful with axle weight but they just look quite flimsy when bolted to a towbar

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
It all depends on the rear overhang, please keep in mind for every 12 inches behind the back axle. The load on the axle doubles so that 100k scooter and a overhang of three foot can be easily loading the back axle by over 800kg :coffee:

OP
OP
Rockcrawler
Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
It all depends on the rear overhang, please keep in mind for every 12 inches behind the back axle. The load on the axle doubles so that 100k scooter and a overhang of three foot can be easily loading the back axle by over 800kg :coffee:
Does that go for a tag axle too ?

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I don't have one, but have a bike and a MH and do look at these from time to time. I always try and think how easy it is to get the bike off - if you're on your own. Forwards under power looks reasonable but I'm not so sure about reversing it off. The description made me laugh - No reversing difficulties (unless you forget it's there presumably)!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Can't comment on the scooter rack but I can say Watling did an excellent job on my towbar and bike rack.

upload_2017-8-2_16-24-8.jpeg

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
My thoughts:

Too much weight too far back. Especially if front wheel drive. You may well overload your back axle. I’d look for a supported one (with castors) or a trailer. More expensive though.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I used Watling to fit a tow bar and the same bike rack as @Bailey58 has on our first motorhome (a Besseccarr)

Fitting of the bike rack was poor - found out when I got home that the long safety pin which prevents the bike rack being coming off, was not properly fitted.

The wiring at the front end of the van meant that the drivers floor well cover had to be removed - only half the screws were re fitted, the other half were lost.

On reflection and all things considered, would not recommend the company

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I don't know where you got that formula and those figures from, but they are wrong, unless you have wheelbase on your motorhome of a foot, which is impossible if you have 15" wheels!. It will double once the overhang becomes the same as the length of the wheelbase. In my case than means 4m. And it is not exponential either, as your figures suggest. Otherwise none of would be able to keep anything in our garages

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I used Watling to fit a tow bar and the same bike rack as @Bailey58 has on our first motorhome (a Besseccarr)

Fitting of the bike rack was poor - found out when I got home that the long safety pin which prevents the bike rack being coming off, was not properly fitted.

The wiring at the front end of the van meant that the drivers floor well cover had to be removed - only half the screws were re fitted, the other half were lost.

On reflection and all things considered, would not recommend the company

I seem to remember you posting that in the distant past but just goes to show doesn't it, never had any problems with mine. Why the need for the wiring at the front, it's a while ago for me too but mine had pre-installed connections for the wiring loom at the rear?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I seem to remember you posting that in the distant past but just goes to show doesn't it, never had any problems with mine. Why the need for the wiring at the front, it's a while ago for me too but mine had pre-installed connections for the wiring loom at the rear?

I think the wiring at the front was to the buzzer that sounds when the indicators are flashing.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Would you recommend it as there seem to be a lot of different makes about ?
Our scooter rack was fitted to our previous van when we bought it (a Pilote 742G - 4,250 kgs with Alko Chassis) and we have had it moved over to our new van (a Frankia I720 Plus 4,500 kgs with Alko Chassis) after having a tow bar fitted by Mike Parkinson in Preston. The Watling site gives you lots of information as to what load you can put on your tow bar - it is definately advisable to caluculate your weights, dimensions and loads. Our scooter is a Honda Vision and weighs 102 kgs. We have found it quite easy to load and unload the bike on the Easylift, although it does take 2 people - one to steady the bike whilst the ratchets straps are put on and again once the ratchet straps have been removed before the bike is offloaded. We have done over 15,000 miles in the Pilote with the scooter on the Easylift and have never had a problem.
Hope this helps.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The first question is how much spare capacity have you got on your rear axle(s) when fully loaded in holiday trim BEFORE you add the rack and scooter?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back